Lowepro Fastpack 350 on Ryanair Cabin Baggage

Edit My Images
Yes
Just a quick query, hopefully this is the correct place for it! Basically, has anybody taken a Lowepro Fastpack 350 backpack as cabin baggage on a Ryanair flight?

I'm planning a trip to Dublin in a few weeks and found a flight with Ryanair for a good price, but they want £20 to check in baggage. Because I'm only going for a few days, I was thinking I'd be able to get away with using just my Lowepro Fastpack 350 backpack and having it on board.

But, apparently Ryanair's hand luggage rules state 55cm x 40cm x 20cm and up to 10kg. My Lowepro is 49cm x 31.5cm x 24.5cm (according to the website) so it is just 4.5cm too deep. I assume they would check to see if it fits in the metal cage type thing, but would it need to include straps/handles etc or could I just squash it in? I haven't calculated weight yet, but it would probably be 40D+grip and 18-50 f2.8, 55-200mm, 50mm f1.8, batteries & charger, CPL filter, iPhone charger, change of clothes and essentials, so hopefully under 10kg!

I really don't want to go out and buy another backpack, and seeing as the flight is only costing £26, I don't really want to spend £20 just to check in a suitcase (which would be overkill anyway.)

Thanks in advance.

If it can't be squashed to fit in the cage, you will be charged for it one way or another, probably by making you check it in and thus charging for it as a suitcase. So there will be the cost of checking it in to the hold, then the cost of checking it in at the airport. Then probably a supplement to pay for using a card.

As for the weight, I think you're being optimistic at getting it all under 10kg, but good luck with it. Again, anything over and they'll get you for it.

Have you checked that the £26 flight is the final price, including all their compulsory add-ons (I don't think buying toilet paper is compulsory yet)?

Go to the site and find out there carryon dimensions, measure your bag.
Jim

I bought flights on Ryanair to Pisa from Stanstead....

Initial cost for 4 of us was £560 return.............

by the time I'd added on "extra costs" for things like wings / pilots / oxygen........

It was £980 :eek:

I recently went to Germany flying with Ryanair, using my Fastpack 350, it fitted in the cage, nobody asked any questions.

It was used to carry a gripped 40D, which had a 100-400mm attached, also had a 10-20mm, and a 17-85mm.

Thanks for the responses.

So if it can be squashed into the cage thing, it should be OK? There's no way I'd check the bag in as hold luggage (I'd probably not see it in one piece at the other end, if at all!)

Regarding price, it's including taxes and fees and online check in, I'd be paying with Visa Electron so no charge for that, I'm not sure about the payment handling fee of £5 per way though (I'd assume they'd put that after confirming booking).

48thEagle, thanks, that's the kind of answer I was looking for!

Jimybell, I have already checked their carryon dimensions and my bag dimensions as stated in my original post. The whole reason I'm posting is whether anybody else has successfully took a Fastpack 350 on board, seeing as it is only 4.5cm over and could be 'squashed' in.

I think I'll calculate how much stuff I'm taking and the weights, and also check out some other airlines. If not it looks like I may have to bite the bullet and cough up an extra £20 to check in a suitcase, I'd rather not risk my camera going into checked in hold luggage.

What I did with mine was stuff the whole thing into one of the small travel size cases that are made to the exact specifications the airlines require. Allowed me to take it onboard plus had the bonus of extra protection when it was stowed above.

I have flown with Ryanair loads of times (Once a fortnight at one time) and never saw them use the measuring rack ..did see quite often that they made women put their handbags and people with duty free put their stuff in their carry bag though as they stipulate one piece of hand luggage.

I took mine from bristol to Dublin last november and was fine, I did try to get the bag into one of the little cage things and it was a little big ( I did it when no-one was looking) so you should be fine, just carry it on your back when checking in and make sure you dont make out it is too heavy and dont try to fit it in the cages at the check in desk incase they see and say anything :D

Back