Large Format Landscapes

Name
Edward Fury
Edit My Images
Yes
Since the start of the new year I have been working on Large Format. Its been a long journey over the past 6 months, but its been great! I've learnt so much, my understanding of composition has improved no end, and critical focus has become something that I am obsessed about. I don't think I could go back to only shooting with a digital system.

I hope these few of my personal favorites bring you as much pleasure as they have me, in the making of them and viewing them for the first time on the light box.

During the heavy snowfall we had in early Feb 2009. After a long strenuous walk up to this location, with a 35lb pack, the conditions and view were very rewarding.

Winter twilight at one of my favorite local locations. Cloud blew in just after the sun has set. For me, its the pastel colours throughout that make this photograph work.

Pre-dawn glow over Mewslade Bay, Gower. After the sun broke the horizon, flare became an issue. I'm glad i got there for the vibrant pre dawn and the moon rising above Thurba Head. It was critical to include this.

Summer Sunrise, Hope Bowdler Hill, Shropshire. Half an hour or so after the sun came up, the shadows were still long and the light still warm. Well worth the 4 'o' clock start and the three hours sleep before hand.

thanks for looking

Edd

Last edited:
Wow! Those are beautiful, especially #1 and #2. I'm getting into landscape photography myself but am too lazy to get up early or hang around until 9pm for the magic hour at this time of year. What camera/lens do you use please? Any tips you'd like to pass on?

I use a large format camera, which is one of the old type cameras with bellows and where I have to huddle under a darkcloth to see what I'm doing. These cameras typically take 5x4 or 10x8 inch sheet film. I have a few lenses, but all of these used my 90mm wide angle lens.
As for tips, probably the best one is persistance and patience. Its very rare that you will go to a location, find a great composition and have brilliant light. It does happen but not very often.
Also, filter wise, a set of ND grads are a landscape photographers best friend

thanks

edd

Those are beautiful, they look like Velvia.
I'd be interested to know how much detail is in those dark rocks actually on the slide, in the third.

Those are beautiful, they look like Velvia.
I'd be interested to know how much detail is in those dark rocks actually on the slide, in the third.

correct all velvia. I have matched them as near as i possibly could to my slides. There is sufficiant detail in the side rocks for my liking, I dont want to be selective masking etc. I want to keep these as straight as I can so any PP is to remove dust in the scans and to match as near to the original slides as possible

This is an inspirational set, makes me want to try harder with the RB67!! Good stuff indeed ;)

;)

Not bad eddyboy not bad at all.. So when you gona take me out:shrug:

md;)

Nice one mate, i've been using Large format since xmas time ish also but mainly for portraits for college - it's been inspirational.

i'm out over the summer with some velvia and provia and really looking forward to it after seeing these :) keep it up

Thanks Gary and ifotou, much appreciated.

Im off work for 6 weeks after the 13th dave, so if your up for going anywhere give us a shout and ill be more than happy to come with you to give you some guidance and company

any more thoughts on my work folks?

Great images, they are up to the same standard as a professional digital photograph (in my eyes) and I know from experience using film that its hard!

Love the light and colours in 2 & 3

Great images, they are up to the same standard as a professional digital photograph (in my eyes) and I know from experience using film that its hard!

Love the light and colours in 2 & 3

Thanks!! a really flattering comment! This is what I want to do eventually for a living. Its great to have comments like that, makes me want to push harder in the right direction

Nice work. If I've nailed any of my exposures from scotland that close I'll be a happy man!

1 is my personal preference, partly cos it must have been hard to get it exposed correctly, partly cos it looks nice ;)

Thanks Gandhi. I also have a great affection for the first. It was certainly hard work to get up to the location in the heavy snow!! I hoped against hope that I got the exposure right, partly because it was such a long hard trek there and secondly because I knew it may be another 10 years before we get snow like that again. It was a great relief to see the slides had come out just right inf the end!!

bringing up an older thread, but these are very inspirational. I'm interested in shooting large format, the care and attention that goes into every exposure definitely shows. keep them coming. What is the developing and processing like for LF?

Thanks for your time and words. I love large format, if you want to take your photography a step further then do it. Ive not looked back!!

I have no idea about what its like to develop your own film though. I shoot on slide exclusively so send them off to a lab to be done. I believe its a delicate process to try and develop your own E6, so i leave it to the ones who know best.

I have a bit more of my large format work up on my website aswell

sorry, deleted them earlier, i can repost them if you like folks?

there we go folks, images back up

Very nice indeed, you landscape boys don't half put in the effort but the results are so, so worth it.

Very nice indeed, you landscape boys don't half put in the effort but the results are so, so worth it.

Its hard work, people dont understand all that goes into producing that final outcome. Thanks for the comment though.

Was suprised to see that this one had been dug out of the archives. Alot more of my large format work to be found on my website.

And to anyone thinking of going large format. I've got one thing to say. DO IT!! youll never look back, your landscapes will be taken that step further!!

Cracking set of images, well composed. Been a long time since I used 1/2 plate and forgot most of what I learnt. Full plate images are magic with some much detail. Images 2 & 3 are my personal favourites

Thanks for the comment. I love using my large format kit, I dont know If i would go back to a digital slr system for landscapes now

Its hard work, people dont understand all that goes into producing that final outcome. Thanks for the comment though.

Was suprised to see that this one had been dug out of the archives. Alot more of my large format work to be found on my website.

And to anyone thinking of going large format. I've got one thing to say. DO IT!! youll never look back, your landscapes will be taken that step further!!

Ed...I noticed you're using the ShenHao camera. I like the look of it I must admit, but I've never used LF. How did you get started with it, I must admit, I haven't a clue how to even load film into a darkslide. :thinking:

Great set of images! The only negative thing I can say is that in the first three the magenta cast is a bit much for me.

Ed...I noticed you're using the ShenHao camera. I like the look of it I must admit, but I've never used LF. How did you get started with it, I must admit, I haven't a clue how to even load film into a darkslide. :thinking:

It was a bit of a drop in the ocean to get started if i'm honest. Its a quick learning curve, if you load the film in the wrong way you soon learn which way it is meant to be loaded once you get your film back from the lab.

Probably the hardest hurdle to get over when using the camera is composing. The image is back to front and upside down on the ground glass and when stopped down, it can be very hard to see the image.

The rest is really pretty much as the knowledge you should already have from using a SLR. metering is a little different however.

It was a bit of a drop in the ocean to get started if i'm honest. Its a quick learning curve, if you load the film in the wrong way you soon learn which way it is meant to be loaded once you get your film back from the lab.

Probably the hardest hurdle to get over when using the camera is composing. The image is back to front and upside down on the ground glass and when stopped down, it can be very hard to see the image.

The rest is really pretty much as the knowledge you should already have from using a SLR. metering is a little different however.

I think seeing the image back to front can help with composition. If it works upside down, it most likely will work up the correct way. Not that I'm on LF yet.

James,

If you wanna come play with large format then drop me a PM. I'm only in Bath!

Its great fun once you get into it. You'll never look back (or the right way up or he right way round) ever!

realy like 3,nice that the moon was in the right place at the right time,well done

Thanks everyone for the comments

Back