Car rig - Now complete

Dino f

Wiiiiilmmmaaaaaaaa
Name
Dean Feltimo
Edit My Images
Yes
Yay! finished the car rig today, hooked it up and all works well.
The rig is made up from 2 Manfrotto suction cups with Manfrotto superclamps attached
rig1.jpg

rig3.jpg

The pole is 2" aluminium tubing with internal stiffening ribs, running the length of the tube.
rig2.jpg

The length can be adjusted, i have 4 x 4ft lengths with smaller inserts allowing the tube to be 8,12 or 16ft long. There is another superclamp on the end with a ball head attached. This will eventually have a Manfrotto Magic arm.
rig4.jpg

This is the view i get using the full 16ft length, with a 10mm lens.
rig5.jpg

The pole does not bend or flex at all, there is a little bent bit at the join though, But it is quite sturdy. Absolutely rock solid at 12ft.
Will post pictures when i use it in anger,
Dean:)

I was looking at these not long ago. Would love to own one as their a terrific piece of kit but I can't really justify owning one! :(

in fact, where did you get the pole?

seconded... I'm building a track and dolly (think railway for a video camera) and this kind of section tube, with the slot running the length of it, would be perfect...

looks a great rig, very sturdy too :D

excuse my ignorance, but what's the idea of these rigs - won't the pole be in the shot ? or are they for taking shots of other motors ?

excuse my ignorance, but what's the idea of these rigs - won't the pole be in the shot ? or are they for taking shots of other motors ?

The rig will be in shot, but only a tiny bit of it. An easy editing job.

The pole came from a supplier near to me, they come in all thicknesses, this is 2", it does get a bit heavy at 16ft, i might get another one, maybe 1 1/2" wide, and have 3 x 6ft sections, but we'll see.

Have you considered the legal aspect of driving on a road with a pole that long behind the car? I think the police wouldn't be too happy and I can see 3 points on a licence comming up at least. Infact I don't think it is actually legal to have such a protrusion from the back of a car. Just something to think about. What would worry me even if it was used on private ground, what would be the consequences if you braked hard and the vehicle behind didn't see. Still the photo of a person in a car with a pole through them would make the 6 o,clock news

Realspeed

there are certain rules regarding projections from the car as we recently had to move some ladders and some workmen nearby said what we were doing was illegal.

I think the law is something like 12 inches from the side of the motor and up to 1 meter from back or front and beyond that you need proper marking - red flag or something. Though what the rozzers would think of having a camera sticking out rather than transporting something is anyone's guess !

The rig is not to be used on the road.
It will mainly be used on a private runway, where no other cars will be present. This is standard equipment for this type of work, and has been for many years. The car engine will not even be turned on.(y)

Why then not just get out of the car and put the camera on a tripod? The only reason for having a pole is for taking photos high up for those "aerial" shots

Realspeed

Why then not just get out of the car and put the camera on a tripod? The only reason for having a pole is for taking photos high up for those "aerial" shots

Realspeed

You use the rig to get a motion shot. You push the car along then stand back (you have a helper on the brake pedal and so it looks like there is a driver). You use a long exposure (about 2 seconds nomally) to bring the amount of blur you want into the shot.

Google "Car rig shot" and I'm sure that you'll see some shots :)

I'm with you on this Kris lol.

Everytime someone posts up there new rig, there's always someone preaching about the law of driving with it.

The car will hardly be moving and most photographers will stand at the end of the pole with the camera, I know I would incase it ever did drop.

This isn't used on a motorway.

:bang:

*EDIT*

Very nice rig, not seen the re-inforced poles before.

:LOL:
I suppose its just naivety, not everyone is into this type of photography.
However i wouldnt go onto someones nature thread and start preaching about having licences to photograph rare species, because i know ****** all about it.
Im sure the people said these things were just looking out for me, you dont want to see a fellow tog get in trouble.
However, like you say, it does pop its head up every time.

:LOL:
I suppose its just naivety, not everyone is into this type of photography.
However i wouldnt go onto someones nature thread and start preaching about having licences to photograph rare species, because i know ****** all about it.
Im sure the people said these things were just looking out for me, you dont want to see a fellow tog get in trouble.
However, like you say, it does pop its head up every time.

Maybe a few pictures taken with the rig, instead of of it, might help ;)

Maybe a few pictures taken with the rig, instead of of it, might help ;)

:LOL: I totally agree, but i only take the Porsches out in good weather;)

Back