Digital Depot Seminars

Hacker

TPer Emeritus
Name
Colin
Edit My Images
Yes
When I was in Digital Depot (Stevenage, Herts) at the weekend I noticed they were starting some photography related seminars beginning this week. At a cost of just £20 I booked myself in for the "Getting the best from your flash" as flash photography and the Nikon manuals have always been regarded by me as a bit of a black art.

The course was run by John Clements who is Technical Editor for Digital PhotoPro magazine and has a wealth of experience behind him, including being Nikon Uk's 'Advisor of Photography'.

John had an easy going and approachable style to his presentation and the session just flew by, it was meant to cover basics and I picked up many tips and snippets of advice, particularly round fill flash, or more importantly, balanced fill flash. He also covered briefly some areas such as close up/macro and imparted some real nuggets of information

I also found out that my D200 has a flash synch speed of up to 1/8000th :eek: which will be great for macro photography, apparently Nikon do not advertise this fact too much as they are worried that people will leave it on this setting which obviously has a very limited range. I also found out how to fire my SB800 using the Nikon CLS without firing the onboard flash. :woot:

Other seminars are planned for the near future and the full range can be found in the link below, there are plans to add more depending on the feedback they get from these initial ones. If they are anywhere near as good as the one last night I can highly recommend them, from a photographic point of view it was probably the best £20 I have spent.

Digital Depot Warehouse Club Seminars

nice find!

That is really excellent stuff Colin ... wish I'd known earlier I would have attended the Flash session along with you ... never mind I shall be booking up for the next one ... especially as you have rated it so highly !

:ty: for informing us of this great facility m8 ... (y)

EDIT - It may also be worth pointing out that the seminars also cover specific manufacturer sessions ... e.g. Nikon D80 (07th March) as well as Canon 400D (07th February) ... ;)

HTH anyone interested in getting the best from their new Christmas or Self presents ... :D

:p

Thanks V, apparently they might be doing a dedicated seminar on Nikon flashguns (Canon as well probably) along with others on digital workflow and Capture NX.

I'll be keeping an eye on the site.

Bit closer than me ... tough break Mr G ... :shrug:

I'll let you know whether Colin was right in his review ... ;)

:D

How d'ya use the CLS without firing the onboard flash then? :D

Or do I have to take the course :thinking:

my D50D may or may not be a D200 with that the name / Nikon logo scrawled out :D

How d'ya use the CLS without firing the onboard flash then? :D

Or do I have to take the course :thinking:

Pop up the on board flash and go to Menu > Custom Setting Menu (Pencil symbol on the left) > e Bracketing/Flash > e3 Built in flash > Commander Mode. Go to the first box right of where it says Built in and scroll down until -- is entered in the box. You are now able to fire a remote gun without using the onboard flash although the pre-flash will still fire.

I think. :LOL:

EDIT: This is for the D200

Well ...

I attended yesterday's Getting the best from your Flash session at Digital Depot !

Hacker has got it spot on - it is a very informative introduction to anyone with a new fangled digital flash gun, of any marque, for a new fangled digital camera thingy ... (y)

Thoroughly recommended for anyone who has just bought their first dedicated digital Flash Gun and well worth the mere £20 charge.

My only comment would be if you are familiar with setting it up already and confident in its use you will probably not come away with too much new information except for the questions you may have. Oh and take a cushion for the seats ... they gave me a numb bum ... :eek:

However, Digital Depot are planning a second and third level for Flash during the course of this year. The third will include some live model shoots and is likely to be sometime in the summer ... ;)

DD are also extending the range of seminars they hold and this will include other personalities taking them as appropriate ... but John Clements, who does not incidentally hold himself out as an expert in the subjects, just an experienced and knowledgeable pro who is likely to have made all the mistakes new entrants will, inevitably, make will continue to hold the current range of topics.

It is well worth keeping your eye on their web site for future stuff if you are in reasonable travelling distance of Stevenage ... :D ... it already has some additions from the original posting by Colin.

Digital Depot must be applauded in taking this initiative and for providing a first class learning facility for their customers and other photographers ... I had not used them for any of my needs before attending !

I quite fancy the Canon 30d workshop. Have any members been on one of these before ?

Back