Welding glass shots: show us what you can do ;)

• Thread starter Deleted member 3428
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3428

I opened this so you can show us all your great welding glass shots, I still haven't been able to get out so my effort is pretty mediocre and I'm sure you Guys will do a lot better ;)

462 sec exposure, f20, iso 100
3750368410_91a048c063_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
EXIF data please!

Here's my pathetic attempt :p

3765253433_ce8c32a9cd.jpg

f/5.6 | ISO800 | 160sec | 24mm

Here's my tutorial here :) (click for big)

I'll go and do a proper one tonight & tomorrow of trafalgar square

Last edited:
Can't wait for my glass to arrive. :)

Sean, be careful you don't knock it off using blutac as you know being glass ;) Might be worth super-gluing it on and sacrificing a ring ;)

Ohh these sort of images iinterest me!

A good tutorial for dummies would be great.

Jordan

I would politely request someone have a go at a bracketed shot. I want to see some foreground detail as well as the gorgeous skies people :D

I'm off to Whitby in a couple of weeks, can't wait to try mine out :woot:

I would politely request someone have a go at a bracketed shot. I want to see some foreground detail as well as the gorgeous skies people :D

I'm off to Whitby in a couple of weeks, can't wait to try mine out :woot:

I will look forward to seeing what you come up with Jo ;)

So I forgot my remote shutter release. For the london eye shot I had to stand and hold the camera as still as possible with my finger on the shutter for 400 seconds while my beautiful and very patient girlfriend sat on the wall next to it, teeth chattering.

3772194238_c67ca45442_o.jpg

f/8 | 120 sec | ISO100 | Sigma 10-20 @ est. 12mm

3771388115_2cda08d445_o.jpg

f/8 | 400 sec | ISO100 | Sigma 10-20 @ 20mm

3772194012_365b047beb_o.jpg

f/8 | 123 sec | ISO 100 | Sigma 10-20 @ 13mm

I love the strange effect created through long exposures.

I think I'll add a proper nd110 filter to my equipment list. I love it :D

Excellent shots Sean, at least it gives you an insight into long exposures on the cheap. Well impressed with the first shot (y)

Therse are looking good :D Competition Time? :D

Technically....do I erm, have welding glass.....just 400,000 x the price with fancy marketing? ;)

Last edited:
The trees spoil it for me.

I tried one last night, but there just wasn't enough cloud really:

3763873096_573dd0bd76.jpg

300 second exposure, custom white balance, f/8.0, ISO100.

1,000 second exposure and that would have been absolutely epic.

Gary.

Just a thought about the sharp edges, is it possible to tape them with masking tape or something? If using a filter holder similar to the cookin ones, will this make it too thick to slide in the slot?

I hope mine turn up soon and complete! I want to practise before our trip to Whitby on the 8th.

I've got 2 bits on order from Fleabay - I had some trouble explaining to the missus why I needed welding equipment last night!! :D

Yep this is a bit of cheap fun and no way meant to be a replacement for the expensive welding lens produced by B&W but from the results I have seen I'm loving it :D I will get out soon and do some serious trials ..B&W we laugh in the face of yer with our £1 purchases. :LOL:

Received mine.
I have glass cutting gear at work, so im gonna cut one into a circle to fit an old filter ring. The other i have just arrissed the edges and put some radii on the corners. Im just working out which Lee Filter wiil bring the colour temp back to daylight, may get some spectral curves done.
I have found that if you put the fiter in the 2nd slot in the Cokin holder, you can tightly wrap black electrical tape around the holder to make it lightfast.
Will go out tonight and give it a whirl.
Dean:)

Yep this is a bit of cheap fun and no way meant to be a replacement for the expensive welding lens produced by B&W but from the results I have seen I'm loving it :D I will get out soon and do some serious trials ..B&W we laugh in the face of yer with our £1 purchases. :LOL:

I look foreard to comparing both tomorrow evening! :D

Ahh but Gary are you a good enough tog to produce the results with such equipment and also are you a certified welder? :LOL:

Just a thought about the sharp edges, is it possible to tape them with masking tape or something? If using a filter holder similar to the cookin ones, will this make it too thick to slide in the slot?

I hope mine turn up soon and complete! I want to practise before our trip to Whitby on the 8th.

Get some emery cloth from a hardware shop , attach the cloth to a flat piece of wood and simply rub the sharp edges off.

Last edited:

It may be possible to sand the edges down if they're sharp.

Still waiting for mine.

Cool, I think we may have some emery cloth Mal & 23rd, thanks :D

Cool, I think we may have some emery cloth Mal & 23rd, thanks :D

I keep it to repair our Pyrex cookware if it gets chipped because as Charlie says I have some Scottish blood in me:D

The edges aren't too sharp, just be careful :)

I find my blu-tac method is perfect.

Gary please don't get one of these.

People say "Sean, why aren't your photos as good as gary's!" and I'm like "Well, see, my filter was £1 off ebay and is stuck to my lens with blu-tac... it's just not as good a filter since i can't afford a better one!"

If you get one of these people will realise I'm a fraud!

The edges aren't too sharp, just be careful :)

I find my blu-tac method is perfect.

Gary please don't get one of these.

People say "Sean, why aren't your photos as good as gary's!" and I'm like "Well, see, my filter was £1 off ebay and is stuck to my lens with blu-tac... it's just not as good a filter since i can't afford a better one!"

If you get one of these people will realise I'm a fraud!

:LOL: Shutup foo :D Your photos are ace!!

I definitely wasn't fishing for compliments ;)

Edit: As sarcasm is most usually interpreted through tone of voice, and tone of voice is not easily translated through text, here I have used a smiley to denote the fact that I am indeed being sarcastic :)

I definitely wasn't fishing for compliments ;)

Edit: As sarcasm is most usually interpreted through tone of voice, and tone of voice is not easily translated through text, here I have used a smiley to denote the fact that I am indeed being sarcastic :)

Ha :D Pete Carr manages a whole new level of sarcasm via text ;) Visit IRC for an example!!

Got mine in the post today and just tried it out on top of a hill!

Fits the middle slot of a Cokin holder perfectly, but had real problems with light leakage behind the filter. Ended up wrapping my tripod strap round the outside and holding it in the 20mph wind, with my remote control in the other hand....must find a better solution!

This was one of the best efforts, just as most of the clouds had cleared! :bang:

darkslide1.jpg

Nice, I have been in the quarry under the turbines. They picked the right spot for them, it was blowing very hard......

Back