new nikon SLR's

Edit My Images
No
as expected D300s around £1500 notes - D300 with video

and D3000 for £400 for just body which seems dear for what looks a D40 to me with more AF sensors !

£1500 !!!!!

In that case find another couple of hundred and get a d700.

I am a bit disappointed. Much as I love my D90, I do like the size and feel of a 300, and was thinking of upgrading, but the improvements dont seem that impressive at that price. I have not used the video on my d90 in almost a year, aside from a 1 min play when I received it!

Will the D300 stay as a model or be discontinued?

I for one will not be rushing out to buy a D300s.... Why spoil a hight end camera with the addition of Video.... If I want to shoot Video, I would buy a Video camera.

I think Nikon have lost the plot.

No Nikon has just added what everyone else is adding to their cameras...

The D400/D800/D800x will be another 6 months away, this is just a slight stop gap...

few more bits about the D300s

video has autofocus - think some dont ??
both sd and cf memory slots

Dual slots maybe as a backup? Might be useful... overflow not quite so useful, most people I know use enormous CF's now anyway and have a handle on when to change cards.

I'd say the extra bits are more to tempt new buyers than upgrades for D300 users.

Of course everyone on here is going to bitch about how much more it is than the D300 now and how they'd sooner buy a cheaper D300.

Dont see the point in CF and SD

It then means carrying different cards and pointless IMO, if they were going to make it dual cards it should be one or the other

I for one wouldnt want to spend the extra money on a D300s when the D700 is only £200 more

For me CF and SD slots are beneficial. Nikons camera's from the D90 down use SD cards, so anyone upgrading can delay the cost of a full new set of memory cards until funds allow. It's making it easier for Nikon users to move up the Nikon range IMO.

I think dependent on the options available dual cards is a smashing idea, you could set one to store thousands of very small files of all your pics taken and use the other for conventional use and transfer to pc.

For me CF and SD slots are beneficial. Nikons camera's from the D90 down use SD cards, so anyone upgrading can delay the cost of a full new set of memory cards until funds allow. It's making it easier for Nikon users to move up the Nikon range IMO.

being honest, and I can see what you say, 4GB CF cards are £20 at amazon at the moment. If you're spending £1,500 on a body then I don't see the extra £20 as an issue

Hugh

Memory cards are not that much, especially in the context of buying a £1k + camera.

I guess video will become standard on all DSLRs now, if it was full AF then it may me useful as you could then get great DOF.

Back