alz123's 52

Great idea and definitally colourful. I terms of improving i would have shot it staright on so it wasn't at an angle was shows as just a wall of colour.

I like this but I agree with Toothie, straight on would have been better as it´s also a little soft down the LHS. Good take on the theme though (y)

And welcome to the 52s :wave:

Hi Alan

Yeah, I agree with all of the above. I think it's an excellent take on this. Just to expand on the soft front of it, what I might have done is a little different. I'd have tried shooting closer to the wall at the soft edge, go for a more dramatic angle, with a large aperture and try get a really shallow DOF. Then again, I might have dumped the picture after trying it! :D But would like to have seen the results after doing it.

All in all I like the picture. And welcome aboard from a new comer himself! ;)

Hello Alan and welcome to the 52s. I hope you have as much fun with this as I'm having.

Great first entry - a very creative interpretation of the theme.
I think your first shot with the threads is the best of the 2. I feel like you've lost the impact of the colours with the ribbon shots, although the DoF is very nice.

I would actually have liked to see what the first shot looked like at that sort of angle and DoF. I think it would have worked well to have the colours fading out into the background.
I'd try playing with the contrast in No.1 too. See if you can bring out more of the texture and the shadows.

Hi Alan, welcome to the 52ers. I like the gradual change in the angles across the shot that you've got from the angle. Good strong colours, again fitting in with the gradual change. It is a little soft on the left, so perhaps a smaller aperture to get a bit more DOF.

Hi and welcome to the 52 madhouse. :D

I sympathise with the dof issues in #1. I've found this to be one (of many!) of situations where there are several possible solutions. Advice and crit (positive) veers between 'everything in focus', ie small aperture, and 'one small area in focus and the rest quite abstract'. I think I'd have just cropped out the left side a little on this one. It's got loads of colour and certainly meets the theme. :)

#2 I love the angle, but I think I'd have focussed on the bright pink, rather than the paler colour, for extra impact.

It looks like there were lots of opportunities in that shop - rolls of fabric, reels of thread, braid etc? Very curious to see what else is there!

Enjoy the food theme. :D

Jean

hi all

thanks for C&C

had only had 40d 2 days when i took those shot mush have just
been lucky

i have still got a large learning curve yet

alan

Last edited:
Back