hartlepool marina at night

Edit My Images
No
did this but really i dont know what to thikn of it, ive never done night time photography before so i guess im looking for tips more than anything.

got to start somewhere and all that.
think i got the size right
IMG_8156.jpg

Last edited:
i quite like that , have you tried cropping a bit off the top and bottom ? :)

The problem with this image is that it is TOO dark. The best time for these sort of shots is to take them slightly after sunset (or before sunrise) when there is a small amount of light in the sky. Not much is needed as a long exposure will soon pick up on even the slightest of lights. This still gives the impression of dark but brings more life into an image such as this.

Hope that helps. (y)

I quite like it too, although I would also clip a bit more off the top. There is just one problem... I just don't see any monkeys hanging about!? ;):D

The problem with this image is that it is TOO dark. The best time for these sort of shots is to take them slightly after sunset (or before sunrise) when there is a small amount of light in the sky. Not much is needed as a long exposure will soon pick up on even the slightest of lights. This still gives the impression of dark but brings more life into an image such as this.

Hope that helps. (y)

not convinced about it being TOO dark , i reckon it does what it is supposed to do , a different shot with some sunset in it , would be a different shot with some sunset in it , it would be interesting to see it printed :)

edit -- my opinion only of course :)

I like it too, but I can see Himupnorth's point in it being a bit too dark.
I'd be interested in seeing the colour version if it's possible.

thanks for the comments guys, i kind of was wanting it to be be quite dark so the sky and water would merge and the only thing was litereally what the artificial lights showed up.
the orginal was the same but in orange, all i have done is raise the exposure about one stop and converted to sepia.

I like it. Agree about the crop but the b&w conversion works for me.

Andy

had a go at cropping, is this what people mean?

MarinCROPsmall.jpg

I like this, the 2 colours go very well, not very often you see b&w images go that well

I like this, the 2 colours go very well, not very often you see b&w images go that well

thanks, and thanks everyone, i think i kind of like it too, i will have another go at this night time stuff soon i think anyway.

I'd maybe crop a bit more off the bottom. Get rid of that black space.

I love the shot though, I really do like it.

I used to work in the building on the very left of the picture :bat:

Did you do any post processing?

Hi, thanks for the kind comments, the only post processing on this is a conversion to a light sepia tone and a crop, i think you might be right about the crop but i like the texture of the wood on the left. hmm. i dont know.
but glad its liked. thanks

I'd maybe crop a bit more off the bottom. Get rid of that black space.

I love the shot though, I really do like it.

I used to work in the building on the very left of the picture :bat:

Did you do any post processing?

Back