300DPI?

Edit My Images
Yes
I've been asked to provide some shots at 300 DPI for a small feature

However, I notice that the shots are actually in 72DPI from my camera...I shot them as JPEG and not RAW (But then, even my RAW shots are 240 DPI)

So, I'm curious as to what I can do? Or..is it a case of "Unlucky. Shoot RAW next time?" (I hope not :( )

Are JPEGs at 72DPI no good for printing? Or, am I missing something...if the image is made smaller for instance, does that increase the DPI? Sorry if that sounds silly!

Thanks

72DPI is fine for displaying on your screen, but for printing you will need at least 240DPI to get a good quality print.

The 400D will produce higher than 72DPI jpeg's. What IQ setting do you have your camera set to?

What sotware are you using to download the images. Maybe your software converting the image during import?

It's always set to L with the smooth curve..if you get me. So I believe that is the highest JPEG setting.

I just used the Windows tool to import the pics

Not too sure where to look..I went into image size in photoshop, and put the DPI at 300 and then set the resolution correctly and saved it..and exif now shows 300DPI, but is that genuine 300?

extra info: the file size has gone from 2.88mb to 4.01..so it's done something..

tbh standard a4 booklet distance prints you can quite happily do as low as 180dpi

the images a camera produces aren't measured in dpi that's a purely physical measurement for print, in short the images you produce will just have a pixel count...lets say 1000 x 1000

if you were to print at 100dpi your image would come out at 10 by 10inches whereas if you printed at 20dpi it'd come out at 50 by 50 inches

Check out this, hope it helps...pixel size stays the same, but the image size will be smaller. Go to image size (in adobe) or of similar name in other edit software.

http://blog.fotolia.com/us/faq/buyer/dpi-_digital_photography-_phot.html

example 3504 x 2332 pixels prints an image at 72dpi 48.667 x 32.389 inches, change the dpi to 300

Remembering to Simply deselect the resample box and change the DPI to 300.

create the same 3504 x 2332 pixel image, but print size is now 11.68 x 7.773 inches in size at 300dpi.

Peter

The dpi is only for printing.
Your camera just loads the pixel data, it does not load at 72dpi, 300dpi, or any other dpi.

The picture data may be, for example, 3000 pixels by 2000 pixels, if you want a picture that is 10 inches wide then you need to print at 300 pixels per inch, or 300ppi (or confusingly dpi in some software) as 3000 pixels/10 inches = 300ppi.

The software just puts a default figure in the ppi/dpi box. A lot of software still put 72ppi/dpi as AFAIK this used to be the standard monitor pixel resolution, therefore it gave an idea of the size the image would be on that standard monitor. Other software may stick 300 ppi/dpi in the box.

Nowadays monitors have different resolutions, which you can change and different pixel sizes so ignore the dpi/ppi figure for everything except printing.

The above ignores resampling, this can reduce or increase the number of pixels in the picture data and would allow you to print, for example, a 3000 pixel picture 20 inches wide at 300ppi/dpi.

The above ignores resampling, this can reduce or increase the number of pixels in the picture data and would allow you to print, for example, a 3000 pixel picture 20 inches wide at 300ppi/dpi.

The problem with resampling is that you software adds pixels into the space to increase the image, could be ok for Bill Board posters because you standing along way back from the image, but not sure the picture / pixel quality would be there for quality prints close up.

Open Canon DPP that came with your camera.
Select your images
Covert and Save ( it will let you set the dpi)

surely DPI is a pointless setting unless you know how large you will be printing your images?! it's like having a rate...like

this song is 60 beats per minute....so make sure the song has enough beats in it..without specifying the length of the song..

that's my rant over with....personally I always look at the pixels in an image, look at the size I want to print it and then see how many dots per inch I will have to estimate the quality
anyway I'm a noobarama so I will read this handy links now and educate myself....:)
I've probs missed out on something

The software just puts a default figure in the ppi/dpi box. A lot of software still put 72ppi/dpi as AFAIK this used to be the standard monitor pixel resolution, therefore it gave an idea of the size the image would be on that standard monitor. Other software may stick 300 ppi/dpi in the box.

The Exif standard says that, when the dpi value is unkown or meaningless, a default value of 72dpi should be inserted.

Some cameras will use 300 dpi instead, as that value is often demanded by moronic people who don't realise that it's a totally arbitary figure that's meaningless until it comes to printing the image. Even then, using a specific dpi value isn't always the optimum solution.

Back