Hey, My First Landscape In Some Time!

Name
April 2008
Edit My Images
No
Yep, finally managed to get some time to go out landscaping after something like three months cold turkey! Went for a play on the beach... my fave subject. Unfortunately mid afternoon and the light wasn't great, so had a play with some long exposures.

This is my second fave...

As ever, I am open to honest comments and crit. :D

I like it, particularly the smoothness of the water.

Where was the shot taken if you don't mind me asking.

Nice shot Lee, I like the way that the groynes go across the pic and the stillness of the water - A great long exposure shot :clap:

I think if I was being ultra picky I'd say there's a bit of pink tinge to the sky.

Would love to see your top fave!! (y)

I like this one, great composition although I would have been tempted to go a touch higher to get more separation between horizon and the top of the groynes, and possibly move 1 post to the left to have the first horizontal beam unbroken.

I don't mind the slight (very slight) cast either, it warms the shot up nicely

All in all a good job and a big thumbs up from me (y)

Where was the shot taken if you don't mind me asking.

Thanks for the comments Marcus. It was shot on the coast at Hartlepool by the old Steetley Magnasite plant.

I think if I was being ultra picky I'd say there's a bit of pink tinge to the sky. Would love to see your top fave!!

There is a slight tint, yes. But it doesn't bother me and I think it goes nicely with the really rich tones of the sand. Will post my top fave probably tomorrow once I have had a chance to look at it a few times. It's a shot I've taken before at the same location, but I think I've improved since last time.

I would have been tempted to go a touch higher to get more separation between horizon and the top of the groynes, and possibly move 1 post to the left to have the first horizontal beam unbroken.

I can see what you're saying there Chris. Especially with regards to going higher. I was a little worried about movement on such a long exposure and had the tripod half burried as it was, in some very loose sand. My feet were sinking in it!

I was a little worried about movement on such a long exposure and had the tripod half burried as it was, in some very loose sand. My feet were sinking in it!

I know what you mean there, in the Highlands my tripod kept disappearing into the sand as well. Someone needs to invent some wet sand adaptors for tripod feet :thinking:

I like that good enough to win a competition I'd say (y)

Think that's great. Can't see a thing wrong with it. (y)

I do like these long exposure shots, it really brings out the vibrancy of the subject - in the case the upright wooden posts and richness of the sands - Thanks

Very nice shot Lee, nice angle, exposure and colour. I really like it (y)

I do like these long exposure shots, it really brings out the vibrancy of the subjects

Thanks for commenting lostsoul. :)

Which filter were you using by the way?

Everyone's favourite... the 77mm B+W. I've given up on my HiTech slot in.

:D

Would make a good picture for a stressful office or dentists waiting room.

Eew, I hate the dentist! I agree though, it'd look better than posters of rotting teeth and gums. ;)

nice angle, exposure and colour.

Thanks Alby. :)

Works well enough for me.

I'd consider a horizontal flip-most western eyes are naturally drawn from left to right ?

I'd consider a horizontal flip-most western eyes are naturally drawn from left to right ?

Hmm, I'd never considered that. I might have a look, though not sure if that goes against my beliefs for landscapes... :thinking:

though not sure if that goes against my beliefs for landscapes... :thinking:

My 'line in the sand' for what it's worth, is that any post processing should generally follow the boundaries of wet processing, so burning, dodging, colour/contrast/brightness enhancements, cropping are all acceptable, and as you can (and quite frequently did) 'flip' a slide or negative, a horizontal flip falls well within my comfort zone.

Back