Hello and introduction with Kenya pics. (56k eek!)

Irritable_Rabbit

Edit My Images
No
I have been a lurker around here for far too long so I thought I'd make an effort and say hello to everyone and start making a contribution.

So Hello! :wave:

I used to do a little photography when I was at school, but that was a looong time ago. ;) Then I didn't pick up an SLR in anger till August 2005 and since then have been trying my best to get better and better behind the lens.

I'll start here in the Animal & Nature section as it's a bit of a favourite subject of mine. With a couple of trips to Kenya in 2006 under my belt and hopefully more to come in 2007. Hope you enjoy these and I hope I can contribute positively to the forum.

I also recognise a few faces round here from elsewhere so hello to those who recognise me by my photos! :wave:

Kenya-Feb06_100.jpg

Kenya-Mar06_078.jpg

KenyaNov2006_024.jpg

KenyaNov2006_362.jpg

KenyaNov2006_101.jpg

KenyaNov2006_374.jpg

(y) welcome (y)
and some very nice shots there.

Hello and welcome to TPf

1, 3 and 6 do it for me - some good shots there!(y)

Jon

Cheers for the welcome and also for the very kind comments from everybody so far. :ty:

And to Rachel, yes I am proud of them. Although sometimes I suffer massive insecurity about the quality of my work. :eek: I'm sure I'm not the only one though! It must be natural? Please tell me it's natural! :D

Oh and if anyone has any questions about the images, please feel free to ask. Just don't ask for any EXIF data though. There isn't any. ;)

And to finish I'll post a few more.

KenyaNov2006_008.jpg

KenyaNov2006_190.jpg

KenyaNov2006_274.jpg

Kenya-Mar06_241.jpg

Thanks again for your time.

(and I do photograph other stuff as well. ;))

Wow - what an introduction! Some great shots there. I'd love to go on safari and get some shots like that.

Oh, and welcome to the forums :)

outstanding!

excellent selection, thanks for sharing!

Welcome to the forums

:welcome:

Hello and Welcome, you have some beautiful captures there (y)

Thanks again everyone. :notworthy:

And I'll make sure I can get some better images for the next time. :)

:wave:

I don't know how, These are very good shots mate, Very good indeed..:)

Fantastic shots, i would love to go to Kenya.

Kenya isn't as expensive as you think - remember that the safari part is 3 good meals a day included so all you need is drink and curio money.

:D
Continuing thanks to everyone for your greetings and very kind comments.

I don't know how, These are very good shots mate, Very good indeed..:)

Ah well.. :thinking: Um. I am my harshest critic. This is especially when I see what the pros can do, so I always strive to do better each time. Sometimes I manage it as well!:D

Sounds like you have been to Kenya a few times, where abouts did you go ?
I'm curious because like allot of people I would love to go, but cash !!!! just isn't going to stretch. Any money saving tips ?
Great photo's btw

I've only been three times so far. My trips have included The Masai Mara, Samburu, Tsavo east/west, Amboseli and a Grevy's Zebra Conservancy that was off the tourist route. It's quite addictive! I have another trip planned this April. A little off season but I still hope to get a few more nice images.
As for money saving tips. My trick is to get a rich girlfriend. :woot: ;)

Kenya isn't as expensive as you think - remember that the safari part is 3 good meals a day included so all you need is drink and curio money.

Not forgetting anti-malarials, airfare, tip money, exclusive vehicle use, guides, rangers, park fees, internal flights and transfers, and maybe a few pens and pencils for any children or schools you might come across in your travels. :p ;)

I love your shots and just got a book on Lonely Planet Kenya.I want to go there either this year or Next, so if you could let me know a good Travel agency I would appreciate it?I always wanted to take PIC's of Wild Animals.Thanks Again.Sean

I love your shots and just got a book on Lonely Planet Kenya.I want to go there either this year or Next, so if you could let me know a good Travel agency I would appreciate it?I always wanted to take PIC's of Wild Animals.Thanks Again.Sean

Thanks. :)

:thinking:
Loads of different ways to do this Sean. It all depends on what you want to do or achieve. Some of the smaller independant outfits are good if you want a dedicated photo-safari.

The one I used amazingly enough was Kuoni. I like the luxury. :D I get a tailored package with them and just organise exclusive use of the 4x4s with the camps for a few days so I can do more or less what I want photowise.

If you let me know what you want to do I could point you in the right direction.

Excellent :D

Cheers! :beer: ;)

Excellent shots, im partial to Big Cats so all of the big cat shots get my points ;) the leopard and cheetah on the land rover are excellent though :)

Im planning on going on Safari in the next 18 months id be well happy to come back with any of these shots ! :)

Great shots (y)

My favorite subject the big cats of Africa.

I have been to Kenya the last 4 years and would highly recommend it to anyone, especially the Mara.

Notch

Cheetah safari with Kuoni or Kenya adventure?
Did you prebook the 4x4 or sort it whilst in Kenya ?

The first time it was the Intrepids Air Safari. Now we pick where we want to go and for how long and let them sort out the details.
As for the 4x4. The Landrovers were guaranteed before we left but not exclusive use. The first time we shared a vehicle. Luckily we shared it with a couple where the lady was interested in photographing animals so they didn't mind hanging around with the animals. Some visitors over there seem to be working on a checklist and as soon as they've seen one animal they want to move onto the next. :bang: And some visitors over there I noticed in other vehicles had no noise discipline. :bat: Which is fine but you have to be aware of mixing with people who don't have the same gameplan as yourself.
Nowadays, we are friends with one of the guides who is a local Samburu warrior so he sorts out any exclusive drives for us when we get there. Which is nice. :D It helps because we have always gone a little off season when it's quieter. We are off to the Mara again as well in April. We'll just take out chances with the sharing and maybe just sort something out with the driver when we get there. That's all supposing it stops raining a bit. The rain that started in November has turned the place into a bit of a quagmire for vehicles.
Sharing is a bit hit and miss and if you're worried about it then a dedicated photo safari is one way to go, or just pay extra for the vehicle.

Excellent shots, im partial to Big Cats so all of the big cat shots get my points ;) the leopard and cheetah on the land rover are excellent though :)

Im planning on going on Safari in the next 18 months id be well happy to come back with any of these shots ! :)

Thanks. That Cheetah is in fact the very same Cheetah that pee'd on Jonathan Scott's head in Big Cat Diaries. :LOL: The infamous Kike.

Great shots (y)

My favorite subject the big cats of Africa.

I have been to Kenya the last 4 years and would highly recommend it to anyone, especially the Mara.

Notch

So where have you been? :)

Hi

Usually go to Governors Camp in the Mara and Kicheche Camp which is just outside the Mara.

Notch

Now I almost hate resurrecting my own thread :naughty: but I have a few more I can show off AND I need help in identifying a plant!

I thought I'd ramp up the cute factor a little first. Now the first two aren't faves of mine and I feel sort of cheap resorting to such tactics but they do have a cuteness that cannot be denied and some may like that. The third lion shot I am happier with and was a lucky find when on a film I'd left in the camera from my first trip. Silly me!:wacky:

Kenya-Mar06_185.jpg

Kenya-Mar06_192.jpg

Kenya-Mar06_373.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These next two I am happier with and are more my style. The elephant was almost on the bonnet of our landrover while it was feeding.

Kenya-Feb06_093.jpg

Kenya-Feb06_137.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If anyone can i.d. this plant I would be grateful. It was so rare to see it that our guide had some problems. Taken while in the back of a Landrover with an f2.8 300mm and x2. Possibly not the first choice of lenses for close up flower photos! :LOL:

KenyaNov2006_114.jpg

Cheers for your time again folks!

Back