Tamron launches stabilized 17-50mm F2.8 zoom

Personally can't wait - was about to buy a Sigma 18-50 2.8 yesterday but luckily it wasn't perfect in the shop so I walked away - now I can't wait for this! Sounds like a perfect portrait lens, and if its anything like my 18-200 VR, at 18mm you should be able to handhold it leaning against a wall at 1/2-1/4 second exposures at night, with sharp pics!

Nice, I was just reading reviews on the current Tamron 17-50mm. Looks like this might be my next purchase.

Will this be for FF?

The clue was in the linked article...

Tamron has announced a revised version of its popular 17-50mm F2.8 fast standard zoom for APS-C/DX SLRs

Tamron's VC is amazing. Unlike Nikon's VR it locks instantly, and with the current 28-300 VC you can do rock steady handheld at 300mm 1/6th second.

Not really sure of the point in VR in such a short range though - it would be more interesting in the 70-200.

And they need to fix there slow motors for Nikon first...

So no one has a view on what kind of price range these are going to be in then? The current version without VC seems to go for about £250 new so I'm assuming the newer version with VC will be under £400.

I may be tempted to trade in the Nikon 18-200mm VR for this lens if it gets decent reviews.

Tamron's VC is amazing. Unlike Nikon's VR it locks instantly, and with the current 28-300 VC you can do rock steady handheld at 300mm 1/6th second.

Not really sure of the point in VR in such a short range though - it would be more interesting in the 70-200.

And they need to fix there slow motors for Nikon first...

With VR at short focal lengths, you get closer to tripod free hand held shots at night - perfect for me!

Interesting, a bit heavier with the IS compared to the old lens though which was one of the selling points. They state to have kept the compactness though which is good. I wonder if it boasts full time manual and/or a stationery focus ring during auto focus this time? Also interesting to hear the AF motor in one to see if it is the same overly noisy beast.

EDIT: Found the below link on google which links to a cached link on camera site for the new version @ price of $729

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...views/176142-new-tamron-17-50mm-f-2-8-vc.html

Back