50D shutter lag problem

Edit My Images
No
Hi there,

I've owned a Canon 50D for almost a year now and today it seems to have developed a problem. Sometimes when I try to activate the shutter I get a lag of up to 1.5 seconds before the photo is taken. I've done a bit of testing and it happens with all my lenses and with all focusing modes (including manual focus - it's not searching around to focus).

Has anybody else experienced this problem? I'm guessing that I may have a dodgy contact on the shutter activation button or maybe on the lens port.

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks,

Richard

Almost a year Rich? Get it back in asap ;) love to help you but I have not had that prob. Seems strange though, luckily I got three years warranty on mine. Have you tried to google that problem? I shall be keeping my eye on this thread :cautious: Hope you get it sorted (y)
PS You could always try a reset, you will have nothing to lose.

flick the lens into MF so you can tell where the issue is if the speed picks up then the issue is that the lens can't focus quickly enough for the fps ;)

I know Nikon's have a shutter delay, mirror flips up then approx 2 secs later the shutter fires, you haven't managed to do something like that on you camera?

Have you checked in custom settings that the mirror lockup is disabled ,just a thought because it happened to me also ,i'd left the lockup facility activated.

Hi,

and make sure the 2 sec timer isn't activated either, I know it seems obvious but you never know.

Mike.

Thanks for the replies everybody but it's none of those problems. The delay is intermittent. I can take 10 shots and it will be fine then it will suddenly start happening (and when I say take 10 shots, there will be plenty of time between each). It started today when I was trying to take a picture of a meal which we ordered. I thought the camera was off or something, but it was on and in one-shot mode.

Sometimes I have to hold the button down for almost 2 seconds to get the shutter to fire, even in manual focus mode. When it does fire the exposure is correct.

3 weeks left on the warranty...I guarantee that Canon will check it and return it with 'no fault found' on it as it's intermittent.

Be interesting to know what caused it - haven't had the issue on my 50d...

Email Canon customer services to register the fault. They respond relatively quickly and at least they will have a record, should you need some good-will.

When it happens, does the next shot take the same amount of time?
Reset the camera to defaults as suggested above, and also try a different CF card.
This will sound stupid, but try reproducing it with the onboard flash up (and we know that the exposure is not due to the flash)

Right. I've just been having a read around and it appears to be a known problem with the 30D, 40D and 50D. Some shutter buttons develop problems with the full-press. My symptoms are exactly the same as some others have mentioned on youtube / other forums.

Apparently this is the fix, but I feel a return to my canon service centre is the better option for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAWGScQeC5g

Actually, I'll test with my remote shutter tomorrow.

Right. I've just been having a read around and it appears to be a known problem with the 30D, 40D and 50D. Some shutter buttons develop problems with the full-press. My symptoms are exactly the same as some others have mentioned on youtube / other forums.

Apparently this is the fix, but I feel a return to my canon service centre is the better option for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAWGScQeC5g

Actually, I'll test with my remote shutter tomorrow.

:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL: Right then I now know how to remove dust bunnies without poking things inside the camera :D

Looks like the standard x0D shutter button problem, you wonder how many dodgey buttons they have to make before sorting the problem:bang:

yeah, looking at the history of this problem it seems rather disappointing that they haven't sorted it out yet. I've probably taken between 10,000-15,000 photos so far this year which doesn't too excessive either.

I have this same issue with my 1dmk3 aswell.

Guess a call to Canon service is in order.........

I know this is an oldish thread but my 50d has just started with the same issue - just to keep you all informed with 50ds - new camera bought in july 09 - only about 5000 clicks

Did you get a conclusion RichieRich?

Back