Review Pentax K-7

Name
Johan
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello,

having not handled a camera for more than 20 years, I took delivery of a Pentax K-7 in July, a birthday present from my lovely wife (who knew that when I was younger, I'd had a brief flirtation with photography in terms of a scholarship at a US art college). I can honestly say that it's re-awakened my passion.

The K-7 is Pentax' top model, the reason that I chose it was a Wired website review that came out roundabout that time praising its sturdiness (weather seal etc) and it's other features.

I'm pretty lucky because my day job involves websites and photoshop so the post processing side is somewhat second nature to me already. That said I do have a lot of skills still to acquire but I'm rather looking forward to it :).

So about the K-7 - my opinion

• I used to have a Nikon FE2 back in the day and I always liked its feel and performance. Back then I just couldn't afford the Pentax LX which I wanted, so a few years later on I'm lucky enough to have a second shot at the Pentax top model. The K-7 feels very much like that FE2 insofar that the thing is solid as a brick (ie made of metal, no plastic) and not huge like many of today's Nikon and Canon SLRs seem to be.
  • I have 2 kids and the high shooting rate is very helpful. Means I can take a load of shots and some may actually be decent.
  • The video feature is great fun and means thankfully I only have to carry one thing around rather than a camera and vid recorder.
  • Pentax has full backward lens compatibility so I've gone and bought a heap of amazing f stop 20 year old primes, for between £5 and £30, and I've got unbelievable coverage now. I don't much like the quality of zooms.
  • The shake reduction system is on the body rather than the lenses so all the old lenses use shake reduction. Which is great.

These are really the main points I'd say in terms of an old bugger like me getting back into photography.

In terms of downsides - I have not really come across any. As a UI guy myself I find the in-camera menu system a bit archaic but then so are all the others

I hope this helps someone. Thumbs up for the Pentax K-7:love::love::love:

Last edited:
I have the K20D and I love it :)

Congrats, I have the K10D and quite a collection of lenses. I am just waiting for the K-7 to drop a little before I buy one.

If you are buying older lenses take a look at the Tamron Adaptall 2 range, with a PK/A mount they will auto meter and allow on body aperture adjustment .. they are superb (especially with inbuilt SR).

If you are buying older lenses take a look at the Tamron Adaptall 2 range, with a PK/A mount they will auto meter and allow on body aperture adjustment .. they are superb (especially with inbuilt SR).

I've bought 3 DA, 3 Pentax-A lenses and 1 Pentax-M, in addition to a CZJ 135mm (dropdead gorgeous for a fiver - easily the best of the lot) and an old Sov Tair. The gaps that I'm having difficulty filling is the portrait 75-85 area (yes I'd love the tak 85mm 1.8 but sourcing it is tricky) and the more obvious 500mm & 1000mm.

Tamron 90mm as a stop-gap for for the 85mm? - macro, too. There's the 50-135mm or Sigma 50-150mm if ƒ/2.8 is wide enough and your pockets deep enough, or the old Tokina 60-120mm or Tamron 35-105mm, which would take more hunting down than a Tak, but for about half the price. Then there's the Limited and FA* for way more...

I thought about the K7 but for my requirements it had lots of features I wouldn't use so went with the K20D instead - both excellent cameras I'm sure. That 14MP Samsung sensor still suprises me with the amount of image detail it can resolve - ideal for landscapes (y)

Simon

Tamron 90mm as a stop-gap for for the 85mm? - macro, too. There's the 50-135mm or Sigma 50-150mm if ƒ/2.8 is wide enough and your pockets deep enough, or the old Tokina 60-120mm or Tamron 35-105mm, which would take more hunting down than a Tak, but for about half the price. Then there's the Limited and FA* for way more...

Thanks Photon, good ideas. To be honest, I already have a form of stopgap cover for 85mm with the DA 50-200, but I don't really want to invest more in zooms as I just have a thing about the sharpness and so on with primes (guess I'm just used to them!). And as you say the Limited and FA* are, to say the least, pricey - hence looking at relatively cheaper but well-performing M42 alternatives like Tak, Jupiter-9 or when I'm dreaming, Pancolar/Sonnar. I guess it'll just be a long old slog until one day I'll find one of them somewhere at a price I want to pay for them :)

Back