Picked up my new camera today....a GF1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edit My Images
Yes
It did not take me long decide which replacement camera to buy now that my DSLR kit bag has been despatched to pastures new. In fact I had concluded that the Panasonic GF1 was going the be the camera of choice for me a couple of weeks back, as I mulled over the decision to sell kit on. I had considered the G11 but the distortion of the lens on the G10 put me off and the S90, Canons supposed LX3 competitor is nothing more than plastic in my eyes and in my hands. So, when the GF1 became available I decided that it would be my 'new toy'. There are a few reasons for this. Firstly, I adore the LX3, but I did write about how awkward the camera is in manual control and of course the fact it is all electronic. But, picture wise, the LX3 was and still is the first camera in compact guise that I had seen take pictures of SLR quality with good tone, detail and geometry which bodes well for the GF1. Further inspection reveals a pocket rocket; a small compact but super quick body with dual focusing options and stylish looks that compliment what is in effect the dearest compact I would likely spend money on.

Stand alone, the GF1 has all the boxes ticked. Great optical performance with fast aperture telecentric lenses for great geometry and corner performance. Also, the one thing I constantly talk about when I teach or in the least advise people is perpendicular shooting where you stay flat to your subject, thus givng excellent compression and importantly, with a 4/3rds chip set, great off centre resolution should you decide to print big. In simple terms a telecentric lens sits right over the sensor thus resulting in no corner drop off. The closest thing to this currently I suppose is DX and EF-S lenses from Nikon and Canon, but they still cant compete with the nice lines of a 4/3rds system....

I have mentioned this before but it is worth noting that Olympus came up with the concept of 4/3rds way back in 1994. Chief engineers foresaw the problems that a 3:2 chip set would throw up regards barrel distortion and pin cushion and the fact is that if we took side by side photos of lamp posts running along a street, then the 4/3rds system will trump everything, right up to and including cameras such as the 5d2, D3 and D3x et-al. To me, the only company currently addressing the issues the modern SLR face are Sony who are looking at ways of flipping the sensor ala its compact cameras and creating new high pass filters and glass to combat all of the afore mentioned problems. The interesting thing is that a cameras filter and sensor is not actually flat. Film of course was, but the DSLR sensor is a mass of ridges and valleys of which light can and does get trapped in thus creating dark corners, poor geometry and distortion as it tries to 'bend the light'. To put it simply, the GF1 catches light at right angles and simply works. Oddly, in certain situations the telecentric performance renders the camera as a mini tilt and shift piece of kit, which is nice. Historically, Olympus, Pentax and Konica Minolta often changed the goal posts with invention, namely 4/3rds, image stabilisation, pentaprism, dust cleaning but sadly in the West poor marketing and sales has seen Canon and Nikon taking pole positions and often lets face it, tipping a nod of thanks to the three aforementioned camera companies as they go onto implement technology into their cameras and lenses.

Of course, I am aware that there are compromises and I bought this camera more than aware of the issues it may throw up. Slow refresh rate in dark situations, average high ISO performance but all of these things are rendered moot when you consider the fact that I no longer have to carry or consider carrying a DLSR out.

Build wise I love it. Classic piano black finish with a real quality feel and some easy to navigate menus and options. In camera processing is superb and I will look at JPEG over RAW in the coming weeks if this helps expedite processing. It has all of the usual pseudo menus such as portrait, night mode on board, which I will also look at but my main port of call will be aperture variable due to the fast glass.

The 20mm F/1.7 is a lens reminiscent of days gone by. With a working focal length of 40mm on the 2 x 4/3rds chip set it is endemic of the classic range finder focal lengths of around 35mm-40mm before the 50mm and then the 85mm lenses became more prominent in the 1950' and 1960's with famous London portrait photographers such as John French and David Bailey favouring the 85mm due to its flattering perspective. In my eyes, 35mm-50mm is the ideal street lens though the 7-14mm lens from Panasonic also appeals for 'walkabout'.

Overall so far, I cant stress how much I rate the GF1. It really is uber compact and I feel that it will allow me to take some brilliant pictures in the coming weeks, of which I will share on flickr and on the blog.

In conclusion, bear in mind that since 2005 I have had 2 X Canon Mark II N, 5D, Mark III, 5D Mark II and Nikon wise, a D300, D3, D700 and done some mad stuff with my cameras for work and fun, but this camera enthralls me like none of the above and to sum it up, I think Panasonic have out Leica'd Leica and that quite frankly, is incredible.

Last edited:
Ohhhh, I'm trying to resist.. Met someone at the Canon Pro Solutions show who had one and kindly let me play around with it, I've fallen in love and I'm considering selling my 17-55 IS and 70-300 to get one!

Ohhhh, I'm trying to resist.. Met someone at the Canon Pro Solutions show who had one and kindly let me play around with it, I've fallen in love and I'm considering selling my 17-55 IS and 70-300 to get one!

Do it....after playing with mine for a day I get the feeling the D300's coat may be on a shoogly peg, as they say around here :LOL:

It's given me my mojo back, I actually want to go out and take pics again (y)

Nice write up - it's a great camera by all accounts so I'm looking forward to some shots.

I love my little Leica for just that too :)

It lives in my handbag and it's a great little camera for shooting really unobtusively. I just love the fact that it has a hotshoe too. Means I can use my Canon flashes and Pocketwizards with it.

How cool is that! :)

Enjoy Pete!

finaly had a play with a GF1 today.
Time to get the D80 and all the gubbins advertised.
Got a brilliant feel to it and with the 20mm fitted, the right size.
Want the 14-140 as well though

Thanks for a great write up. I've had my GF1 for 2 weeks now, and have been enjoying it like no other camera i have owned in the past 20 years. It is truly a tool that neither flatters nor detracts from the picture taking experience but merely enables you to have a photographic tool with you in a way that the bulk of a conventional DSLR does not allow.

Cheers,

Peter.

...Great optical performance with fast aperture telecentric lenses for great geometry and corner performance...

GF1 is a great camera but I think you are getting carried away with the fanciful marketing nonsense re telecentric lenses.

4/3rds lenses are no more telecentric than any other. The telecentricity comes only from the small size of the sensor - and if that was such a massive benefit, compacts would be even better at it.

4/3rds lenses suffer from distortion, vignetting, CA and all the other problems associated with peripheral performance, only to a lesser degree because of the small format. If by some magic this was cured by true telecentricity, 4/3rds cameras would have no need of their on-board software correction for all of the aforementioned optical shortcomings.

Your reference to "a mini tilt and shift piece of kit" has left me completely baffled :thinking:

GF1 is a great camera but I think you are getting carried away with the fanciful marketing nonsense re telecentric lenses.

4/3rds lenses are no more telecentric than any other. The telecentricity comes only from the small size of the sensor - and if that was such a massive benefit, compacts would be even better at it.

4/3rds lenses suffer from distortion, vignetting, CA and all the other problems associated with peripheral performance, only to a lesser degree because of the small format. If by some magic this was cured by true telecentricity, 4/3rds cameras would have no need of their on-board software correction for all of the aforementioned optical shortcomings.

Your reference to "a mini tilt and shift piece of kit" has left me completely baffled :thinking:

So has your usual retort. Fanciful marketing did not lead me to buy this camera, performance did. End.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Thanks for a great write up. I've had my GF1 for 2 weeks now, and have been enjoying it like no other camera i have owned in the past 20 years. It is truly a tool that neither flatters nor detracts from the picture taking experience but merely enables you to have a photographic tool with you in a way that the bulk of a conventional DSLR does not allow.

Cheers,

Peter.

Exactly - it seems the camera is liberating a lot of photographers who have stumbled into abject boredom.(y)

Congratulations on the new toy Pete... (y)

Whatever anyone else says (any new kit will have its detractors... :cautious:) it is always exciting to get something new and I know you will enjoy it... ;)

I love my little Leica for just that too :)
It lives in my handbag and it's a great little camera for shooting really unobtusively. I just love the fact that it has a hotshoe too. Means I can use my Canon flashes and Pocketwizards with it.

Apart form the handbag bit, unless my manbag goes with me... :naughty: ... I know precisely what you are saying and feeling Ali... (y) ... and don't forget you are entirely the cause of my enjoying the same dilemma... :D

But I hadn't even thought about using the hotshoe on the D-lux 4 with my Nikon flash... :shrug: ... I will be giving that a serious think... :thinking: ...after the F1 finishes... :LOL: ...are there any dangers/pitfalls to this... :shrug:

Apologies for going slightly OT Pete... ;)

08.gif

So has your usual retort. Fanciful marketing did not lead me to buy this camera, performance did. End.

Cheers.

And that's great (y) I have been advocating the advantges of this design of camera since long before Panasonic and Olympus brought products to market.

But at no time have telecentric optics formed part of that design advantage, because the lenses are quite simply not telecentric. To claim 'near telecentricity' as 4/3rd manufacturers do is nothing more than a skewed marketing orientated reference to the small size of the sensor.

So I simply don't understand what you are saying there, particularly since from what you have said, it seems to be the main reason for buying. Likewise, I don't get the reference to tilt & shift at all.

Last edited:
Exactly - it seems the camera is liberating a lot of photographers who have stumbled into abject boredom.(y)

The LX2 did exactly that for me but I'd love a camera that offers me the same creativity in a teeny box but can handle more situations. Like things that move for example.

I know the LX3 will allow me to take my P&S into slightly lower light situations and give me a little more ability to isolate subjects with focus control but I've held off buying one as I'm not sure the improvement over the 2 is worth it.

Then those mean pigs at pany dangle an even bigger carrot with this GF1.

So for those of you that have already committed, how does it stack up to your old DSLR's in terms of usability speed for people or action situations?

The other thing that bothers me is the only fast lens is fixed in both focal length and focus. Are you all getting on well with the current options?

I've had my Gf1 with the 20mm for a couple of weeks now and love it. Tried the evf which is horrid so popped into the classic camera co by the british Museum and tried the little metal Voigtlander viewfinders, the 35mm worked well and the view is gorgeous, facial expressions can be clearly seen and no parralax over normal distances.

I look forward to trying the 45mm f2.8 maybe with the 90mm Viewfinder.

Oh, and by the way, Bailey has bought into the gf1 system at the C C co.

...So for those of you that have already committed, how does it stack up to your old DSLR's in terms of usability speed for people or action situations?

The other thing that bothers me is the only fast lens is fixed in both focal length and focus. Are you all getting on well with the current options?

It's not fast enough imo for anything more than subjects moving at moderate speeds. You may have trouble, for example, getting in focus shots of exuberant children or pets. This is based on my experience of the 20 f/1.7. Reports indicate that one of the zoom lenses are quicker for AF for some reason. To put it into perspective though, it is still fast and is a definite step up from a 'normal' compact in that regard. Statistically, you'll get keepers if you shoot enough frames!

I've only got the 20mm so far, but plan on getting the Leica 45mm when it's in stock. I'm more into using prime lenses anyway, so find it great. I find the only time that the convenience of a zoom wins out is at longer focal lengths (the 70-200 is the only zoom I have). Anything below that and I find fixed works well. I'm hoping for some faster u4/3 glass to appear - faster than f/2 preferably.

Great report Pete.

I picked up a secondhand E-P1 from here, and it's a lovely bit of kit (more the format than anything else).
Not sure if the lack of flash will be an issue, as I've just been thinking I'll pick up a cheap hotshoe flash for this situation. It was the size of the kit lens on the E-P1 that made me go for one (over the GF1), and the fact that I got a pretty good deal secondhand.

But, the wife still thinks it's too BIG (and she has to use it the majority of the time). Will keep working on the wife though!

Looking forward to seeing some more images with the GF1 :)

Last edited:
Cheers -

A few random snaps with the GF1 then - inside the studio and out. All taken by me aside from the picture of me (camo coat) What a camera -

4075479559_430b92ff7d.jpg

4075457231_da37c35d5a.jpg

4075453399_4018a77a82.jpg

4075474353_66f91e657e.jpg

4076245426_488cd5a693.jpg

4075460947_59f798f9b5.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome. This is the only camera I would consider buying at the moment. When it was announced I knew it'd be a cracker having owned the LX3 for almost a year now.

That shot of the gentleman in the mobility scooter is awesome.

Awesome. This is the only camera I would consider buying at the moment. When it was announced I knew it'd be a cracker having owned the LX3 for almost a year now.

That shot of the gentleman in the mobility scooter is awesome.

Fancy a street shoot-out with the LX3 and the GF-1?

handy in size, but surely when you start going up to a zoom lens you then step into the DSLR market.

The 20mm lens is very limiting ??

Then will panny start to go down the route of canon with massive prices hikes for new bigger and better glass ???

I can see the reason for this market and I think in time will become the standard, but not just yet for the pros, canon and Nikon have a huge lions share and make lots of money out of glass, they will tell you that this small sensor isnt the future !!!!!

I guess that this will seem a stupid question to some, but what is the advantage of the 20mm lens over the 14-45? I would have thought that the latter would be more flexible, but the price of the 20mm bundle is more.

Please remember that I am stupid when answering!

Chris

I was looking at buying one of these instead of my D300, but at the time I convinced myself I wanted a 'real camera'. I think the problem with a DSLR is that you have to plan your shooting - not carrying one around in your back pocket...

I find I'm not shooting that much because it's difficult for me to plan time for shooting...

However are the lens options for these limited?

and in reality would I get the 12" x 10" prints I need for camera club comps?

I was looking at buying one of these instead of my D300, but at the time I convinced myself I wanted a 'real camera'. I think the problem with a DSLR is that you have to plan your shooting - not carrying one around in your back pocket...

I find I'm not shooting that much because it's difficult for me to plan time for shooting...

Yes. - easily. It has the same native Res as your d300 and decent optics so yeah, no issues at 12" x 10".....Y

this is a real camera - have no doubt of that....

Last edited:

You can get adapters to fit everything from Nikon and Canon glass right the way through to one to take old c-mount TV lenses

Very tempting .. but I'd have to sell my d300 to fund it - toughy ...

No doubt I would use it more but is it a good move?

Last edited by a moderator:
The view finder is £180 !!!
Some of the bigger lenses are getting close to canon L series prices.

Surely once you go beyond the compact size and start fitting adapters and a bigger lens you then enter into the world of dslr. ???

I can see the point of this camera with a small lens, so its a pocket sized camera, after that does it not loose its sense of real use?

If you can keep it in your pocket or coat, there is a reason to own this and Im a great fan of panny stuff and have the bridge camera and leave it in my car.

The price is off putting and Im sure will come down, question is will canon and nikon start a war with Micro Four Thirds camera?

Dont get me wrong I love new technology and would love to have a play with one.

I'm convinced ....

Just put up my D300 for sale so I can go purchase one of these babies... I knew first time around I should have gone with this but I had to have the big camera... I'm sure freud would read a lot into that.

Would you say the viewfinder is worth the cost? and where did you pickup yours?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm convinced ....

Just put up my D300 for sale so I can go purchase one of these babies... I knew first time around I should have gone with this put I had to have the big camera... I'm sure frued would read a lot into that.

Would you say the viewfinder is worth the cost? and where did you pickup yours?

Cool beans. The joy of photography is thatvyou can always go back if you need to - but you'll love it...!

The 20mm lens is very limiting ??

I think having just a single focal length is more 'liberating' than 'limiting' It allows you to concentrate on the photography ranther then the equipment. I find that on the DSLR i usually have just the 50mm on and it cesovr 90% of what i need to shoot.

I just need to find the best price now (SRS are at £649)

These are fantastc Pete, looks like you've put the GF1 through it's paces.

The GF1 really seems to give you 90% of the image quality that an dSLR gives you, but in a package that is much more managable.

I can see these really getting a foot hold in the market, for both people who want more than a compact (people who would have usually got an entry dSLR), but also as a lighter alternative to a dSLR.

The GF1 really seems to give you 90% of the image quality that an dSLR gives you, but in a package that is much more manageable.

:thinking: ... Interesting you quote just 90%... :shrug: ... where does that come from and why wouldn't it be much higher than that... :cautious:

A few random snaps with the GF1 then - inside the studio and out. All taken by me aside from the picture of me (camo coat) What a camera -

4075453399_4018a77a82.jpg

4075460947_59f798f9b5.jpg

Excellent range of images Pete... (y) ... easy to see you have not lost your touch so maybe the camera is more or less irrelevant... :naughty:

AND loving that camo jacket... :love: ... I SO want it... :dummy:

Not sure about your pink hair though... :cautious: ... or is that Matty under there... :naughty:

:coat:

08.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back