Birch Polypore (Piptoporus Betulinus)

Just Dave

In Memoriam
Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

A Birch Polypore (Piptoporus Betulinus) having a bad hair day, C+C Welcome (y)

4073924701_3369887885_o.jpg

Dave

Dave this is so much better then the other one with the waterfall, great DOF and good detail. With a subject like this detail is really important.

You have some Hybrid Larch nearby!
Great shot. Made me smile. Well spotted

I like the colours of the fungus, assuming it is a fingus?

Charlie, how can you tell it is a hybrid larch mate?

I like the colours of the fungus, assuming it is a fingus?

Charlie, how can you tell it is a hybrid larch mate?

Colour of the needles. Larch sheds its needles in winter unlike most of the other commercial conifers.

It is indeed a fungus & long ago it was impregnated with some kind of grinding dust & used as a sharpening strop.

Hows that for useless info:LOL:

Colour of the needles. Larch sheds its needles in winter unlike most of the other commercial conifers.

It is indeed a fungus & long ago it was impregnated with some kind of grinding dust & used as a sharpening strop.

Hows that for useless info:LOL:

You've been in the woods too long SM

That's a slug lying on a bed of nails upside down.
Nice shot Dave.

Thanks Charlie, Ade, and Chuck,

cheers for the info Charlie they are all hybrid larch, I said to John its strange that they lose all their needles now I Know why (y)

Sometimes you can find these as they form on the tree. They are sphere shaped then they open to what we usually see.

More useless info.:LOL:

Lovely details in that one Dave (y)
How big is it? It's hard to put it in perspective from the photo.

And Sawman, thank you for the info on Larches. Now I know what type of tree I'm cursing every night when I walk round to the carpark and find my car covered in those needles. :bang:

Thanks Jack

Thanks Sarah, i would say its about 6" Dia, I was going to brush the needles off to get a better shot as it was in fine condition, wish I had now

Last edited:
Back