Ride 'em Cowboy!

Name
mark
Edit My Images
No
It has been a wonderful summer weekend, 25’-28’C ( 77’-82’F),
simply perfect for the annual Melton Mowbray Rodeo – it was almost worth the sunburn!
The event is perfectly sited at the base of a grassy hill that faces south from which spectators
can picnic with the sun at their backs as they watch the events unfold below.

Aside from the picturesque pub seen in the middle distance, Melton Mowbray is situated on the Midlands Highway
some 50 miles from Hobart and is no more than a name on the map, and all of what you can see in the opening Pano.

There were all sorts of entertainments including buck jumping, cattle roping, wood chopping and sheep sheering.
Hopefully I have been able to capture some of the highlights to share with you. So, "Let the Games Begin!"

#1 Pano
Rodeo-01.jpg

Rodeo-02.jpg

Rodeo-03.jpg

Rodeo-04.jpg

Rodeo-07.jpg

Rodeo-06.jpg

More images to follow so please stay tuned!

All ring events were shot from the hilltop with the Olympus E-3, mostly at 600mm (equiv.) using a monopod.

Rodeo-08.jpg

Rodeo-11.jpg

#9 Pano
Rodeo-12.jpg

Rodeo-13.jpg

The woodchop was shot with the Nikon D70s at 18mm (28mm equiv)
Rodeo-09.jpg

Rodeo-10.jpg

The Log Saw and Sheep Shearing competitions were shot with the E3 on monopod using the Olympus 14-42mm (28-84mm equiv.)
Rodeo-14.jpg

Rodeo-05.jpg

Please let me know if you enjoyed the show!

Last edited:
Hi Mark
Fantastic set.
Captures the mood / scene beautifully.
Looks brill.
Shot wise nos. 2, 9, 10 & 11 look good.
Thanks for sharing √

Hi Mark
Fantastic set. Captures the mood / scene beautifully.
Looks brill. Shot wise nos. 2, 9, 10 & 11 look good. Thanks for sharing √
Thanks Chuck, glad that you enjoyed them and wish you could have been there with that mean camera of yours! :)

FANTASTIC shots matey, how different Antipodean life is to things here in Blighty!... Well done again and thanks for sharing the set (y)

Really good set again Mark. Love the 2nd one particularly but they are all very good indeed. Its nice to see pictures from other places.

Andy

Fantastic set of shots, I was in UK's Melton Mowbray a few weeks ago and all it has going for it is its pies! (They are famous for em though!)

Really good set again Mark. Love the 2nd one particularly but they are all very good indeed. Its nice to see pictures from other places. Andy
Thanks Andy, it was a fantastic day, the weather and everything ... and today is the 3rd hot summer's day in a row that we've had after months and months of nothing but RAIN - hence the greeness of the landscape! Thanks for commenting. :)

Fantastic set of shots, I was in UK's Melton Mowbray a few weeks ago and all it has going for it is its pies! (They are famous for em though!)
Thanks there Bluenose :) - and now that you mention MM being famous for its pies, that rings a bell - but Gee, they'd want to be better than one of your English pork pies :thumbsdown: that I once sampled at a London pub! ... :puke:

Edit: Maybe I just struck a bad one ...
:thinking:

wow Fantastic set of photos , wish i was there
Thanks for looking mickeyboy, one day you must pay us a visit Downunder. (y)

Last edited:
:agree: with all the earlier comments Mark... (y) ... looks like my kind of weekend... :cautious: ...

... well in terms of the fantastic weather and the photo opportunities at least... ;) ...

... not sure I'm up for ANY of the activities in your images... :eek: ...

... far too strenuous for my ageing corpse to cope with... :D

Strange to think that facing South your backs would be to the sun... :thinking: ...

... but then everything is topsy turvy in your world is it not... :LOL:

08.gif

Nice set mark.I really like no's 4 and 10.Can I ask what shutter speeds you used for the buck jumping and calf roping shots _ I'm going to calgary stampede next july and hoping to get a chance at some pics .

You mad buggers ! :D

Great set Mark (y)

BTW that looks nothing like the Melton Mowbray that I know
( where good pork pies come from ;))

:agree: with all the earlier comments Mark... ... looks like my kind of weekend...
... well in terms of the fantastic weather and the photo opportunities at least... ;) ...
... not sure I'm up for ANY of the activities in your images... :eek: ...
... far too strenuous for my ageing corpse to cope with... :D
Strange to think that facing South your backs would be to the sun... ...
... but then everything is topsy turvy in your world is it not...
08.gif
Mornin' Ven *yawn* ... touring UK I had the strangest feeling about the sun arcing south across your sky - most confuzing to say the least. :thinking:
maybe has something to do with climate change ... globalisation, that's the answer! :eek:

Nice set mark.I really like no's 4 and 10.Can I ask what shutter speeds you used for the buck jumping and calf roping shots _ I'm going to calgary stampede next july and hoping to get a chance at some pics .
Thanks Liz - but looking at your pics I'd bet you know more about equine photography than I do! ;) Anyway ... :shrug:
Both Shutter priority: Olympus 70-300mm (140-600mm equiv) Lens to subject approx. 60 yds. from hilltop using Monopod.
#4 @ 1/1250 @ f/5.6 @ 300mm (600mm equiv.) ISO Auto / 640.
#10 @ 1/1250 @ f/5.0 @ 200mm (400mm equiv.) ISO Auto / 200.
The buck jumping and calf roping shots were taken using the same shutter speed.
Was practicing for my daughter's Welsh Cobb AU Championships, January 8-10, Victoria, AU - YOU'RE INVITED! :D
This is Replica, one of her Welsh Cobb stallions that I photographed last year.
Replica.jpg

And good luck at Calgary Stampede - you've plenty of time to hone your skills! Wish I could be there too!
You mad buggers !
Great set Mark
BTW that looks nothing like the Melton Mowbray that I know
( where good pork pies come from)
I just goog'd Melton Mowbray UK - found it in your Midlands which is how you came to name it after ours I guess ... :thinking:
Only the Poms could make pies from pork (none in Oz!) just the thought of them brings on a technicolor yawn ... makes me cry RUTH! :puke:
Doubtless a major source Of swine flu, Chris ... :cautious:

Last edited:

Only the Poms could make pies from pork (none in Oz!) just the thought of them brings on a technicolor yawn ... makes me cry RUTH! :puke:
Doubtless a major source Of swine flu, Chris ... :cautious:

LOL
But no, Mark , I guess the "jelly" surrounding the chopped pork protects us from swine flu (y)

No pork pies in Oz?, well thats me outta the emigrate queue then :D
next you'll be telling me that you don't have jellied eels either! :)

Pork pies ... jellied eels??? :puke: double chunder!!! :puke:

I bake my own good old Aussie Rat Coffins - at least I know the rats are FRESH!
Pie.jpg

(This got a little burnt while I was nerding!) :shake:​

Back