10 of my fave MTB shots

Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

Just wanted to share some of my favourite mountain biking shots that I've taken at various events over this years season.

Hope you like'em. Comments welcome...

3850194030_cbe8d287bb.jpg

3822250793_940d9fc11e.jpg

3657420599_697b3f5345.jpg

3542769861_35b065e1d6.jpg

3481491450_984b675215.jpg

Superb set and i really like 2 & 4, usually i'm not usually a fan of OOF detail in the foreground but you've struck the right balance

Andy

Love number 6, it gives shuch an impression of movement. The lean angle of number 4 is awsome as well! Overall the last photo really captures what MTBing is all about - being out in the wilderness enjoying the ride. A great set.

Superb set and i really like 2 & 4, usually i'm not usually a fan of OOF detail in the foreground but you've struck the right balance

Andy

Thanks Andy. Glad the OOF foreground is under control. I guess it can often end up a distraction. The one thing that bothers me about it in No.2 though, is that it obscures the rider's right hand. A small gripe, I guess.

Love number 6, it gives shuch an impression of movement. The lean angle of number 4 is awsome as well! Overall the last photo really captures what MTBing is all about - being out in the wilderness enjoying the ride. A great set.

Thanks Nick. Yeah, No.6 was in Moray, on a gorgeous long downhill piece of natural singletrack. I wished I'd had the bike that day!

Nice work -

As a MTB'er myself and a photographer I have started to notice your work in various mags mate. Nice work, very nice work. 6 & 7 are fabulous to look at....

D.

Great stuff there!

How do the organisers/competitors feel about the use of flash?
4,6 and 7 really stand out to me (y)

Nice work -

As a MTB'er myself and a photographer I have started to notice your work in various mags mate. Nice work, very nice work. 6 & 7 are fabulous to look at....

D.

Ah, cheers fella. Means a lot coming from an accomplished tog like yourself. I've had a good year. Lots of miles travelled, nights sleeping in the car etc... but it's definitely been worth it. Met loads of great people along the way, and as you say, managed to get a few published in mags, books and manufacturer websites. Just got a new D300s, and some nice glass, so really looking forward to the 2010 season kicking off. Got a few things to keep me busy in the meantime though.

Incidentally, No.7 won me a little fund raising competition that Keith Valentine (Phunkt.com) organised. Good times... (y)

Fantastic work! I love them all!

Cheers bud (y)

Great stuff there!

How do the organisers/competitors feel about the use of flash?
4,6 and 7 really stand out to me (y)

Cheers fella. Generally speaking, there's no real problem with the flashes, aslong as they're considerately placed. The only problems occur when it's getting pretty dark in the trees, if it's late in the afternoon, and getting dull. The use of flash has only been stopped twice in the last twelve months, at events I've been at. The rider's start to complain, which is understandable when you consider there can easily be 10+ photographers dotted all the way down the course, some of which will be using on-camera flash, and pointing it straight into the riders faces. Unfortunately, that means that we've all got to stop! Unless you're way up the course, and you know the marshal ;)

But I stay out of the dark areas anyway. The photos are never as good. :)

Last edited:
Can you not set up to sell some to the riders. I am sure some would love to have images like this on the wall.

6 for me, cracking panning, really gives the image life.

Or maybe tap up a supplier or a magazine for a comission shoot, your certainly good enough.

Cool, thanks for the info.
From your photo's it's obvious that yours are intelligently placed and the photo's look better for it.
Pointing on cam flash at a downhill rider heading straight for you seems like sheer stupidity to me...

Ah, cheers fella. Means a lot coming from an accomplished tog like yourself. I've had a good year. Lots of miles travelled, nights sleeping in the car etc... but it's definitely been worth it. Met loads of great people along the way, and as you say, managed to get a few published in mags, books and manufacturer websites. Just got a new D300s, and some nice glass, so really looking forward to the 2010 season kicking off. Got a few things to keep me busy in the meantime though.

Incidentally, No.7 won me a little fund raising competition that Keith Valentine (Phunkt.com) organised. Good times... (y)

Good times.

That D300S is a superb camera and I would go so far as to say it has the best auto focus of any camera I have seen in the last - maybe three years. Brilliant and the DX format works a treat. If I were in the market, it would be my camera of choice for sure. (y)

Can you not set up to sell some to the riders. I am sure some would love to have images like this on the wall.

6 for me, cracking panning, really gives the image life.

Or maybe tap up a supplier or a magazine for a comission shoot, your certainly good enough.

Cheers Lawrie. Yeah, I sell to the riders. Some of these shots are on the walls of those in the shots. :D Currently over 12000 shots on my website available to buy with just a few clicks (y)

I do the odd shoot for various things, and have 1 high profile 'client'. (only 'cos I know the director from the company, ha ha). I'd like to put myself forward a bit more, but it's just doing it that's the problem. I just generally take what comes my way. :)

love No6 the movment and the shadow on the tree, also 9 & 3. nice set

Cool, thanks for the info.
From your photo's it's obvious that yours are intelligently placed and the photo's look better for it.
Pointing on cam flash at a downhill rider heading straight for you seems like sheer stupidity to me...

Yeah. You would think people would have the sense, but you do see it. Fair enough if you're doing a private shoot, and you're setting up the shot that way, and the rider is gonna know about it, but not at a race. :nono:

2, 4, 6, 7, and 9 are stunning! care to explain the technique used with the flash? guessing rear sync with a very slow SS? mabie 1/10? :) 7 shot with a wide angle lens?
cheers

Good times.

That D300S is a superb camera and I would go so far as to say it has the best auto focus of any camera I have seen in the last - maybe three years. Brilliant and the DX format works a treat. If I were in the market, it would be my camera of choice for sure. (y)

Yeah, I'm already loving it. I've come from a D200, so the D300s is already feeling familiar, but it's so much a better camera, right across the board. All these shots were taken with the D200, apart from 9, which was taken with the D300s.

2, 4, 6, 7, and 9 are stunning! care to explain the technique used with the flash? guessing rear sync with a very slow SS? mabie 1/10? :) 7 shot with a wide angle lens?
cheers

Thanks PAS. Yeah, rear sync for the lot. Shot 7 was actually 1/60, so not that slow. Shot 7 was 1/25. Bit darker in those woods, so kinda had to go that bit slower, so as not compromise ISO. Both of those were with the 12-24mm Nikkor. Most of the rest were taken with either a 50mm f/1.4, or the 105mm Micro Nikkor, which is just a lovely lens. I lacked a decent mid-range zoom, so was limited to those 3 lenses. Just got the 17-55mm f2.8, so now got a much better range covered.

Placement of the flashes is generally one infront to the side, and one behind, to the side. But often both infront of rider. Just whatever takes my fancy... The lower the power the better, to allow as much ambient light in as possible. :)

Loads more pics on my Flickr (y)

Marvellous pictures. You'd have less trouble snapping me on my MTB, I don't travel at those speeds!;)

Some fantastic shots - something I aspire to with my photography and something I will shortly be trying out.

I'm heading down to Forest of Dean in a few weeks to have a play with DH MTB as never shot it before, more motorsport, so stepping outside my comfort zone.

Keep any more coming, great work!

DB

Marvellous pictures. You'd have less trouble snapping me on my MTB, I don't travel at those speeds!;)

Ha ha. You and me both... Cheers :D

Some fantastic shots - something I aspire to with my photography and something I will shortly be trying out.

I'm heading down to Forest of Dean in a few weeks to have a play with DH MTB as never shot it before, more motorsport, so stepping outside my comfort zone.

Keep any more coming, great work!

DB

Ah, you'll have fun. Just try to mix things up, and get a bit creative. Be sure to post up the results!

No.2 wins it for me. His eyes are on stalks! All excellent though.

That's the Stevie Boyd STARE! :LOL:

Real nice set mate
well done
Chris

Cheers Chris :D

Great shots! No.4 is easily my favourite, amazing backdrop.

Cheers. Shooting straight into the sun at that point, making things a bit tricky. Flashes were up full whack, but the result was that moonscape effect. (y)

Excellent set and nice variety. You have certainly cracked MTB photography

Awesome pictures, i really like the blurred foreground shots, really like your work. well done and hope you have a great year next year! look forward to seeing more

loving all of these, especially 3 and 4 i'm a keen mountain biker myself and part of the reason i got into photography was to get some decent shots but now daren't take my camera in my camelbak in case i fall off :LOL:

Excellent set and nice variety. You have certainly cracked MTB photography

Cheers (y)

Awesome pictures, i really like the blurred foreground shots, really like your work. well done and hope you have a great year next year! look forward to seeing more

Thank you. Yeah, there'll be plenty more to come... :D

loving all of these, especially 3 and 4 i'm a keen mountain biker myself and part of the reason i got into photography was to get some decent shots but now daren't take my camera in my camelbak in case i fall off :LOL:

Cheers bomberman. Yeah, I wanna get a nice compact for taking out with me on the rides. Anyway, I think my D300s is a bit too bulky for my Camelback Mule :LOL:

I've got a camelbak mule, great for most of the riding i do. could fit the 400d in no probs but no room for any water (and probably not the best idea to have a reservoir full of water waiting to burst on your camera). would probably take the kit lens as well as i wouldn't be too bothered about breaking it. Might be off to Llandegla on Sunday. I'll think about taking the camera with me.

The thing is if i'd just had a bad fall i would probably take the cam but i haven't fallen for ages so am probably due one :LOL:

I've got a camelbak mule, great for most of the riding i do. could fit the 400d in no probs but no room for any water (and probably not the best idea to have a reservoir full of water waiting to burst on your camera). would probably take the kit lens as well as i wouldn't be too bothered about breaking it. Might be off to Llandegla on Sunday. I'll think about taking the camera with me.

The thing is if i'd just had a bad fall i would probably take the cam but i haven't fallen for ages so am probably due one :LOL:

Ha ha. Well I can't ever remember falling off my bike and landing actually ON my back, but I guess any fall is gonna give things a bit of a jostle about. I guess it's low risk, but it'd be just typical that something bad happened the one time you took it. If you can give it plenty of padding I suppose that would help.

I struggle to get everything I take on a ride in my Mule. Once the tubes, tools and a bit of food (and water) are in there, things are getting pretty tight. Been thinking about a Hawg. They've just released a lightweight version, but it's limited to only 300! Dunno what the chances of getting one are... :)

Some great shots there Oli.

Thanks Richpips. Liked your article in Singletrack. Quite a mammoth task that race! You'll nail it in 2010!

I was hovering around Kielder village that day, getting a few 'general' shots for the Kielder Trail Reaver website, and for The Bike Place. Had I realised you were there I would have probably recognised you and would of said hello :)

Heading over there today for some trail building...

some amazing shots mate :) love the motion in the front 3/4 shots I was at the Keilder enduro racing... been a fan of your work for a few years now :)

bob :)

Ah, thanks Bob. Always nice to hear comments like that. You've got some crackers on your Flickr too, including the Motocross stuff, which I dabble in a little myself.

Are you gonna go again for the 2010 Enduro in Kielder? Great events. There's going to be 3 next year. Kielder, Ae, and er... somewhere else :shrug:

(y)

Back