New Radio Triggers

they look pretty sweet actually, wouldn't mind getting my mits on a set myself :D

I don't have any experience with them though I'm afraid :(

they look pretty sweet actually, wouldn't mind getting my mits on a set myself :D

I don't have any experience with them though I'm afraid :(

No-one does, those pics belong to the manufacturer, but from what I can glean it's Nikon-only atm and has got basic ttl (so no CLS functions) and is projected to retail at around the £100 mark for a Tx/Rx set.

No-one does, those pics belong to the manufacturer, but from what I can glean it's Nikon-only atm and has got basic ttl (so no CLS functions) and is projected to retail at around the £100 mark for a Tx/Rx set.

Doesn't that Flickr page say they support iTTL - so CLS will work?

I got one of this type and work great and only £28.99 got mine next day in post
Will work as a Flash or Shutter remote
RF-602_EB_1.jpg
RF-602_2_.jpg
RF-602_03_.jpg

Canon St-e2 does TTL, but range is very limited, 10m max.
I've got some of the wireless units above and just use them as I would studio flash units, ither setting the power on the flash or adjusting the camera to suit.

lol. Sorry I didn't mention TTL. I have an St-E2 which I use for indoor shoots where I can have good line of sight and ratios are fun to play with. I use PW plusII's for manual stuff.

My friend is a bit overawed by manual flash techniques and would prefer the comfort of TTL and since I don't operate like that myself I have not got a scooby about what else is available!

So his budget is about £100 for some TTL radio triggering. He uses a 5D and a EX580II and one of the 4's (can't remember which) He's happy to add a second receiver at a later date :)

Thanks folks
Ali

They look good, a cheaper (and less bulky) alternative to pocket wizards.

Meanwhile, Pocket Wizard have just released a beta firmware update for their Canon E-TTL system here http://www.pocketwizard.com/upload/photos/677Beta_Firmware_Overview.pdf

It does some very clever things, but doesn't seem to address their range RF interference problem which is I think related to the frequency they use, ie much lower than most others. Kind of a fundamental problem when the only reason to buy the things in the first place is to get more reliable range :shrug:

It mentions increasing the power of the Canon pre-flash by two stops. Now if that is possible, wouldn't it go a long way to solving the range problem of optical/IR systems? How's about Canon (or somebody else) produces an updated version of the old and feeble ST-E2 with both a more powerful pre-flash, and that can be aimed directly at the remote flash/flashes?

I think there's a lot more going to be happening with remote auto flash systems soon (y)

Edit: What is stopping Canon/Nikon from just switching to a radio operated system built in to cameras a flash guns? It's better. Sorted. The technology is not fundamentally expensive. Just buy out Pocket Wizard with all their patents and intellectual property rights and the job's a good un. I bet that is the hidden agenda in PW's business plan... ;)

How's about Canon (or somebody else) produces an updated version of the old and feeble ST-E2 with both a more powerful pre-flash, and that can be aimed directly at the remote flash/flashes?

I've found the canon ir flash be it with the ST-E2 or 580ex II to be about as reliable as the original ebay triggers. ie not much cop.

I've found the canon ir flash be it with the ST-E2 or 580ex II to be about as reliable as the original ebay triggers. ie not much cop.

Have you? I've found it works really well, and 100% reliably but I've only used it indoors and outside at close-ish range. Tests I've done outside in bright sun and longer range have also been quite successful, but you do need to have accurate line of sight. Zooming the flash head of the 580EX when used as master, plus shading the sensors, also makes a useful difference.

I guess it takes a bit more effort than the plug-in-and-play of radio, but it seems to work for Joe McNally and the like (Nikon CLS, obviously).

Have you? I've found it works really well, and 100% reliably but I've only used it indoors and outside at close-ish range. Tests I've done outside in bright sun and longer range have also been quite successful, but you do need to have accurate line of sight. Zooming the flash head of the 580EX when used as master, plus shading the sensors, also makes a useful difference.

I guess it takes a bit more effort than the plug-in-and-play of radio, but it seems to work for Joe McNally and the like (Nikon CLS, obviously).

There seems to be very little leeway outside especially in brightish conditions for the "line of sight". Plus it annoys me that the primary consideration when placing a flash is that it can see the master flash. Anyway that's why I now have a set of skyports. :)

There seems to be very little leeway outside especially in brightish conditions for the "line of sight". Plus it annoys me that the primary consideration when placing a flash is that it can see the master flash. Anyway that's why I now have a set of skyports. :)

Fair comment :) While I've not had any difficulties I've not used them in really difficult situations. I agree it would be maddening to set up a complicated shot only to find that it didn't work, then have to reposition everything just to make it fire :bang:

The other thing is, with most set ups like that, shooting on manual is only another couple of minutes work. But I love it when E-TTL does work - point flash, press button, great exposures (y) Compared to how I first used flash (with magnesium bulbs and 20 minutes of hard mathematics :eek: ) this technology is just amazing.

They look good, a cheaper (and less bulky) alternative to pocket wizards.

They sound just a wee bit good to be true if you ask me. If the likes of PW are struggling to get the same sort of technology to work, I seriously doubt that a Chinese knock-off shop will have beaten them to it....

I prefer shooting on manual, and don't really mind the extra few minutes it takes to set up.

Though it would be great to have an in camera system that'd detect the speedlights, and would enable one to dial in all the settings from the camera. :eek:

They sound just a wee bit good to be true if you ask me. If the likes of PW are struggling to get the same sort of technology to work, I seriously doubt that a Chinese knock-off shop will have beaten them to it....

If you look at that "Chinese knock-off shop" you'll see they've got some great ideas. I don't see why you should suppose them any less intelligent than the people who make the PW.

Anyone fancy a live view remote control for instance.

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/258576226/Wireless_Live_View_Remote_Control.html

I prefer shooting on manual, and don't really mind the extra few minutes it takes to set up.

Though it would be great to have an in camera system that'd detect the speedlights, and would enable one to dial in all the settings from the camera. :eek:

Sounds like the 7D :D

its not a matter of intellegence, PW are locked into a freq range by their prev triggers amd american regs. The frequency band that yonguou use is much more suitable (its the one I'm using).

The camera flash comm protocol is what PW cracked and added to their existing triggers (aswell as some evolutionary additions) adding that protocol to a more stable trigger will yeild a stronger more reliable solution

(its the protocol that my triggers lack, right now they are very basic and just give firing and one flash ttl in simulations)

it would make cameras regional as until the world sets up a single set of RF regs every country has their own

I was about to write, "I guess the reason the camera manufacturers don't adopt radio is that there are regional conflicts of bandwith use"

:)

If you look at that "Chinese knock-off shop" you'll see they've got some great ideas. I don't see why you should suppose them any less intelligent than the people who make the PW.

Anyone fancy a live view remote control for instance.

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/258576226/Wireless_Live_View_Remote_Control.html

That little jobbie looks great for wildlife shooters. I want one already :)

I was about to write, "I guess the reason the camera manufacturers don't adopt radio is that there are regional conflicts of bandwith use"

:)

I would have thought camera manufacturers would rather like to have cameras specific to territory, ie US, CE and maybe some other Japan/Asia frequency.

It would certainly slow down a lot of importing from the US and Asia, which they hate, as it stops them controlling prices.

Maybe not such a bright idea then... :thinking: :eek:

Back