No
Yes its in the right section :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Ok Go for it!

The Flying Horse :LOL:
IMG_0906.JPG

IMG_0905.JPG

IMG_0884.JPG

IMG_0837.JPG

OK I need to put my photographer hat on rather than my equitation hat. I think the light was really hurting you as it is strong in from the left and blowing the highlights plus the sky in the first one is gone. I'd say overall the 3rd is the best. Colin (Hacker) is rather good at this stuff so maybe he can give you a few pointers.

Thanks again HR, I do seen to have a lot of trouble with skys
Chris

Wondered what on earth I was gonna find with a title like that :eek: :LOL:
I agree with Renee's comments. The light is very harsh and contrasty, with the exception of #3 which was obviously taken at a different time of day when the light was alot warmer. A very good attempt at what is a difficult subject :clap:

Wondered what on earth I was gonna find with a title like that :eek: :LOL:
I agree with Renee's comments. The light is very harsh and contrasty, with the exception of #3 which was obviously taken at a different time of day when the light was alot warmer. A very good attempt at what is a difficult subject :clap:

Thanks for the C&C Mini
Well the title, Hmm, it made at least two people look :LOL:
Chris

As has been said, Hacker or Dod do horses well so they will give great advice. If I may address two points;

Firstly the jumping shots are either too late or two early so don't show rider or horse at their best. Horses front legs just over the bar is a good classic pose. Roider and horse will often be looking forward and in a "comfortable" position.

Secondly, lighting. You had a difficult job there as the light looked like you had some testing conditions. Don't be too hard on yourself. Take a leaf out of a sport photographers book (not me btw but this is what they say) and set your camera to manual and set for for the brightest area you want to record. You have more chance of recovering detail from underexposed areas than overexposed.

Hope that is of some use. (y)

Thanks for the C&C Gary
The "flying horse" was just a bit of fun but I do see what you mean
Cheers
Chris

I've come back to look again. It also depends on what you are taking the pics for. I'm not sure if you are related to the girl in the pic. But if she wanted pics to be able to see where she is going wrong shooting from the side is great. But if you want to make her look better shoot at more of a front angle (like in the 3rd pic) so you don't see the reins are too long and her legs are way back... If you know what I mean. And for fun you should try to get rid of the jump in #1 so they really look like they are flying!

Thanks Again HR. Its my daughter, on my wife horse
The pics were taken purely for me to practice with my 70-300mm is usm lens and to put on her "desk top" if any were worth saving.
Chris

Hi sonny
F5.6 @1/800sec (3)

Can't really add to what has already been said but you could try a bit of PS on them to try and balance the highlight / shadows.

Had a quick fiddle with No 3.

horse.jpg

Hi Chris, for a first effort they are not too bad but there are a few pointers I'd like to give you. The first is positioning, you really need to be about 45 degrees from the fence (like shot #3) to give yourself the best chance of a shot or side on so you get the horse jumping in profile which, if captured at the right moment will give a more pleasing image. Here are a couple of examples:

Three quarter front:

Class-3-_30_Smith.jpg

Profile:

SWDRC_1507_Ashcroft_140.jpg

When I first saw the shots I thought they were blurred/soft because of low shutter speeds but when I checked the EXIF data all the shutter speeds were quite high so I can only presume that your lens is slow to focus or maybe you were not panning at the same speed as the horse. It does take a bit of practice so don't give up!

With regard to getting the right exposure try sitting on top of the fence so you are slightly looking down into the school, this will help when trying to avoid those blown out skies. If you do not want to go manual use centre weighted metering as full matrix will only confuse the camera.

Let us know how you get on.

You also want to pay close attention to your horizons, they are all a bit wonky in your shots.

I can't really add anything to what Hacker's already said, the 45 degree shot is the one to go for

ML1W4590.jpg

Burgie three day event last year

Hacker and Dod
Thanks very much for the C&C I see what you mean from your pictures. Excellent! ( a lot more practice needed on my part)
I think that it was probabley me that was "slow" rather than the lens? Its a 70-300 is usm
Mrgrubby Thats better! thanks I needa lot of practice with editing too!
Chris

Personally I think you should try and get much as the fence in as possible. It gives you more of an idea of what is happening in the shot, and as central as possible - at the end of the day not much else should be happening or focused on in the picture.

Hackers bottom shot is superb.

Personally I think you should try and get much as the fence in as possible. It gives you more of an idea of what is happening in the shot, and as central as possible - at the end of the day not much else should be happening or focused on in the picture.

Hackers bottom shot is superb.

I agree about Hackers shot
Thanks for the C&C
Chris

Back