Review Crumpler New Delhi 620

Edit My Images
No
Well I got my new bag, ordered from Calumet for £99 inc delivery they had a free delivery offer on at the time so I took them up on it. They seem to have the black and kakhi colour on offer the other colours are more expensive at Calumet.
A few other prices for the bag not includeing shipping
Crumpler £189
Clifton cameras £107
Fotosense £119.95
kit2fit.com £154.95
Warehouse Express £144.99

I ordered the bag on the 7th December and received an email a day later informing me it was on back order and delivery would be 2-3 weeks, slightly disapointed but this morning 14th December it was delivered so not too bad in all.

I wanted a bag to fit all my kit in that didn't look like a camera bag, I know I will have a camera in my hand but its nice to think that no one knows its a camera in the bag if its all tucked away. It actually looks like a huge laptop bag, hmmm maybe thats not much of an improvement but anyway its not the classic billingham looking bag I dont want.

So here we have it.
img4230b.jpg

Opened up, the photo insert is removable and has its own zip to seal it inside
img4218u.jpg

A feature of the bag is that you can use the handle on the top of the insert and put it through the loop on the top flap of the outer and it opens up when you open the top flap.
img4219w.jpg

The insert removed the bag is huge with a laptop pocket at the back and to smaller pockets on the sides, there is another larger pocket on the front on the inside
img4222t.jpg

The default configuration of the dividers, there are loads in there.
img4223w.jpg

some inserts removed and the 70-200mm f/2.8 IS on the left and the 24-70mm f/2.8 on the right both with hoods reversed
img4225dx.jpg

A few more tweaks and bits added, 500D with grip and the 24-70 mounted in the centre, 580EX2 on the right and the 18-55mm kit lens and the 50mm f/1.8 on top of it.
pc140006u.jpg

Camera removed and an above shot, showing the layout, little spaces to store smaller items under the body and at the front of the 70-200mm
pc140009w.jpg

pockets, there are loads, they are everywhere, this on is in the top flap.
img4246z.jpg

the laptop pocket, easily fit a 15" laptop in there possibly a 17" this isnt compressed either with the photo insert in place and is padded all round.
img4244.jpg

There is a small pocket on the front covered with a flap for easy access.
img4233q.jpg

Behind the small pocket another large one on the front has a long zip that arches over from the sides allowing it to open really wide, it could be difficult to use without putting the bag down. Inside more pockets for storeing anything small or flat.
img4241s.jpg

First impresions are its huge, and has a bit of weight to it with everything in there but i will use a smaller bag most of the time I guess not needing the 70-200 everywhere I go. The insert is very configurable with 7 inserts of different heights, widths and 2 with foldable sections, I'm sure I will have a further play to get the best out of this bags internal space. The padding is thick, about 1" all round the photo insert and I like the felt lineing on the insert and dividers
The laptop pocket is a nice idea, Im not sure about the well being of the screen bearing in mind this will be against my back when in use so it could get damaged.
The pockets one is great the small easy access one the top flap may be usefull for papers but it will bend when the flap is closed. the main one on the front yes it has loads of pockets in there but as the bag is new its a little stiff so opening it is a little difficult I am sure this will ease up with use. Same with the strap it is really heavey duty but a little stiff and I have removed the 3rd leg strap as I think it will never get used and get in the way but it seemed to hold the bag securley against my back when I tried it out.
The velco fastening is noisy when opened but thats normal, it may get quieter as it is used, I hope so.

Last edited:
Nice write-up, thanks for taking the time to do that (y)

Crumpler stuff is luuuurvly :love:

I'm sure I'm not alone in stating that deciding on which camera bag is more difficult than deciding which camera so your views will no doubt help someone :LOL:

Thanks for this insight Little John. This is the Bag that i'm after for my New Year January Sale's Present. This has helped me gauge the amount of space inside. Cheers

Looks a great bag, nice review thanks. I'm a big fan of crumpler after getting my backpack (Pretty Bella half Photo) love it!

And this pic is great :D a happy bag

img4246z.jpg

Last edited:
nice review just to ask will the internal bag zip up ok with the 70-200mm f/2.8 in it?

thanks

Yes it will no problem.

The only thing is the front of the pouch zip is quite a lot lower than the front of the bag so zipping and unzipping are a little difficult without removing it from the bag. I usually just zip them round the corners to protect from water coming from the sides.

Last edited:
Great thanks alot!

Im trying to decide between the 620 and 510 and in your opinion is there any chance of getting a 3rd lens into the 510 alongside a 70-200 2.8 and gripped body with 24-70 plus flash? The 620 looks perfect for me capacity wise but if there any chance it could be a little smaller well :)

thanks

You could possibly get a 3rd lens in but I don't think you will be happy with the way the bag streches with a grip on the body. It will restrict you on the size of lens you can put in there. I would go 620 but the physical size is huge where the 510 doesn't seem so big even with the 620 the size of lens in the configuration I have is pretty slim some where about 60mm would be the limit I think.

Last edited:
Nice review. Could you post a pic with you wearing the bag, to give a better idea of size?

ended up ordering the 620 in the end as I really want to make sure i have room for a future 17-40 , not much price difference between them its like £99 vs £95 inc delivery from bristol cameras atm

thanks for your quick replies might post a few pics when it arrives :)

I'm curently looking at adding the 17-40 to my collection I don't know if it will fit curently Probably some playing with the bag config needed if/when it arrives.

Great review and very insightful, so thank you. Had been looking at this one for a while and it's great to read a "real" feedback from someone who's actually going to use it rather than the marketing blurb from the manufacturer.

Back