Wildlife photographer of the year, possible fraud.

That tree looks mighty similar to me but the wolf is a hard one to decide on, if found guilty it will be a big disgrace for the winner for sure.

Certainly compelling evidence - with the trees, stones etc. What else I found strange about the photo submitted for the competition - is that the gate doesn't seem to be hinged at either end - which suggests to me, put there purely for the purpose of the photograph. Just my tuppence worth. Certainly interesting though.

what are the rules for photoshopping in such a prestigious competition?

Very interesting, would be a shame it if a fakes as it is a great image especially as it was shot on 6x6 film...

in a world where photoshop is now in the dictionary and lets face it all great pictures start as good pictures and the rest is processing to improve it... nature togs all have there tricks... nailing the worm to the floor so you get the bird tugging the worm shot... insects in the fridge to keep em still... bottom line here is for me its a stunning capture and deserved to win hands down.. now if someone went to the trouble of using a tame animal setting up this wonderful shot that apears to to wild... then they did a great job of it.
too much burocrary and red tape if you ask me: its a corking image and thats all she wrote!
just my 2 pence of course

Well, I have to admit, the first time I saw that photo when it was pusblished I said to my wife that it looked staged and un natural... Mainly because to my eye that is clearly a running jump but why would a wild wolf run past the same spot making the same jump on a regular basis. It just didn't add up for me. Will be interested to see the outcome

edit: it is still an incredible image and if it is proved a stage it was still worth the time setting it up. But in that case the photog should have told the panel how it was captured. It may still have won anyway - but right now my biggest issue is it seems staged and was passed off as wild.

It says "The photographer has given the impression that the picture represents a wild wolf".

It's featured in a magazine I have and the photographer talks at length about how he composed the shot - how long he waited and what kit he used etc etc.

I'll be keen to see what the outcome is .

Doesn't look right to me.
Just can't see a wild wolf leaping over a gate for no reason, not to mention a photographer just happening to be sitting there to capture it.

Not realising that was the rule I had kind of assumed it was captive anyhow. Either way, the image is an absolute stunner.

The award is for a wildlife photograph specifically, not a staged shot of a tame animal, so if this turns out to be true the photographer doesn't deserve it, especially after lying, regardless of how good a capture it is.

Not the first time theres been a debate over one of the photos im afraid or the way its judged
Regards
Lost

I think it's just sour grapes from the other photographers in the competition. I don't know how they can say it is a setup - it's a beautiful image....

I think it's just sour grapes from the other photographers in the competition. I don't know how they can say it is a setup - it's a beautiful image....

class :) :) :)

The image posted by Spuff is clearly not a wild animal because those collars can only be obtained from Petsmart and Petsmart will not serve wild animals!

The original is clearly a fake, I mean this looks far more earthy and natural, and the subject looks far more fierce:D

I believe the image was taken with a remote but how did the photograph know that a wolf was going to jump over the gate?

An interview I read talked about the camera being rigged with a motion sensor, that way the wolf wouldn't be detered by a human presence

I did wonder about this photo when I saw it at the wildlife photographer of the year exhibition a couple of weeks ago.
I was given the book at the weekend and also studied the photo again.
My good lady had issues with the technique which caused a bit of a debate between us.
I still think it's awesome image regardless.
There were other photos in the competition that didn't look right to me as well.

Why would a wolf jump over the gate, in darkness, instead of crawling through the wide bars of the gate?

Well better the wolf jumps over the gate than nudges it open and forgets to close it behind him thus ignoring one of the most important rules of the countryside code and potentially letting out a herd of cows/sheep/horses:p

Full story on how it was captured here

"His chance came when he found a landowner who was happy to have both the wolves and José Luis on his property, and also had the ideal setting: a copse and an ancient, disused cattle corral"

Why don't they just ask who the landowner is and ask if he wouldn't mind showing them his ancient, disused cattle corral? :shrug:

The image posted by Spuff is clearly not a wild animal because those collars can only be obtained from Petsmart and Petsmart will not serve wild animals!

I don't think it is a collar, isn't that the normal markings of the lesser spotted gate jumper? ;)

The gate is not a real gate. It is propped up with a large stone either side of it at bottom left, which would suggest it was put there purely for the photograph. And if the gate is staged...........?

it's a great shot yes, but if it is not a wild wolf and the shot is staged, judges should know and decide based on that.

To me, it wouldn't be a winner if it was a staged shot. I like the wildlife shots as how they are in nature. :shrug:

Doesn't look right to me.
Just can't see a wild wolf leaping over a gate for no reason, not to mention a photographer just happening to be sitting there to capture it.

The shot was triggered remotely by and infra red trigger, so the photographer wasnt avctually there to take the picture

I think a lot of competition shots, of all persuasions, look over processed and unnatural to me........:shrug:

He does explain the flash ... set it up for days before to get he wolf used to it.

I wouldn't expect a wolf to jump naturally either, not when he can dart through ...I also think a wolf wouldn’t waste energy jumping a foot higher than was necessary ..but a trained one who gets fed regularly has probably given up on that survival detail would.

I hope for his sake its real, well worth the win if it is, absolutely worthless image if it isn't.

Never mind look forward to my cardboard cutout rhino jumping a gate next year.

The shot was triggered remotely by and infra red trigger, so the photographer wasnt avctually there to take the picture

On the surface seems reasonable - Drops in some bait, sets up remote trigger, pops off for cuppa, catches up with the news, nips down the local for a couple of hours and on the way back checks to see if the jumping wolf has obliged and scored a ten on the hurdles.
The trigger explanation doesn't hold water. A wild creature being lured to a location, stuffs itself and then runs off to leap over a gate on a regular basis ... of course it could have been on the look-out for flying pigs.

Back