Indoor/Arena Photography tips needed

Name
Niq Scott
Edit My Images
Yes
On friday I'm off to Crufts as usual. However, this is the first time I'll have had my 350D. I was wondering if anyone could give me any tips on how to get the best from my camera under the conditions (usual arena lighting/moving objects etc).

I have the kit lens, an 80-200 4.5-5.6 (which I probably won't bother taking as I can't imagine it being much use except @ ISO 1600, unless anyone thinks I should) and a "nifty-fifty".

Cheers dudes

Your problem is going to be getting sharp pictures, woggies are very rarely still.

So I take it that you'll be using your onboard flash then?
- The range is somewhat limited so you'll need ISO400 or more to capture shots
- If you have a "proper" (ahem) flash... even better one off camera on a cord then this
will be a boon.

The nifty will prove invaluable if there is enough light for it to function without flash. Just watch the DOF as at f1.8 its nearly nowt.

Since you dont have IS (and even if you did) take a tripod / monopod or a beanbag (simple as a sock filled with peas) to use for stability.

HTH

This is my first year NOT at CRUFTS for a very long time as both an exhibitor and pro. dog photographer. Still don't know if I will miss it. Anyway to the point. Your kit is restricting but choosing carefully can reap rewards. First ISO setting at 800 should allow with the 50mm decent headshots, displays (static), overviews of rings etc.. In the 'special events' ring try and get to the very front row directly in line with a jump (agility) and then when the dogs doing there thing kneel by the white fence. As long as you dont block the isle or use flash you should be able to time a good jump shot or two. Pre-focus just past the jump rails and look to expose at about 200/250th minimum. Don't worry about colour, PS will fix it.
Your long lens is still usable, but only for posed/standing shots in the rings. Try and get as much daylight on your back as you can and a light monopod is a godsend for this type of work. Your advantage is the relatively small camera and the fact that there are a lot of cameras there. You wont stand out so the quirky close shot of groomers and odd dog type behaviour are yours for the taking;-). By the way my top selling CRUFTS photograph was taken after the show had closed! So keep the tired eyes open and good luck.

PS-- Use the 1600 on the long lens-get the shot and worry about grain later (sorry noise).

OHh I'm going too! What day you heading there. Thanks for the info I'm looking forward to trying my also limited kit out. Sharkey is there a way to check out some of your pictures from before?

Going on friday for working/pastoral. My wife & I are thinking about buying a Pyrenean Mountain Dog so intend speaking to all the breeders there

Thx for all the info

http://web.mac.com/sharkeyward/iWeb/Site/CRUFTS choice.html

If you go to the above I've posted a few pictures for you.

Fantastic! I'm very jealous. I can't wait to go, I showed by cocker in the states to his championship so I'm looking forward to seeing the british version of Westminster but bigger! I also love that you guys have so many owner handlers they just don't exhist in the States. I had to break a breeders arm to sell me a show dog that I wasn't goign to send off to a pro handler.

Take sandwiches/water and wear really comfortable shoes. Toilet queing !!!!
Try 'special events' ring--it's usually free to get in. Too many dog owners for mass pro. handling and not enough money to pay them. Mostly. Some pros, but a clicque at the supposed top.:puke: :puke:

Back