Photo Diary from the Isle of Canna - includes all 15 sets of images

Name
Duncan
Edit My Images
Yes
It's been a beautiful if slightly surreal day.
I've just arrived on the Isle of Canna and am looking forward to another two weeks of photographical solitude.
The journey was utterly spectacular and my blasting-out-the-travel-cobwebs trip to Corrigan beach proved unexpectedly bountiful.

I was originally thinking I might create a TP post later in my visit when I had something worth sharing, but somehow I've already taken a load I'm chuffed to bits with.
My current plan is to post more into this thread as and when I have something I would like to share.
Kind of like a diary in photos......

All the images are taken with either the LX3 or 5DII using a 24mm TS-E or 70-200 F4 IS L.
Please do tell me what you think.....

1) 8:40am departure from Mallaig and it's still very dark
20091226-083543-IMG_3356.jpg

2) Dawn over the Scottish Mainland
20091226-084040-P1040174.jpg

3) The Black Cuillin of Skye hang over Loch Corruisk. Lit by the first rays of Sun - the rest of the ridge was unbelievably good but doesn't reproduce well at this size.
20091226-094116-IMG_3418.jpg

4) First glimpse of Canna with a very strange cloud formation overhead.
20091226-100354-P1040203.jpg

5) Corrigan Bay (East) looking towards the Cuillin of Skye.
20091226-123125-IMG_3498.jpg

Last edited:
Fantastic Captures I Really Like No.1 No.4 And No.5 Very Sharp And Crisp And Great Colours Very Well Done

Kirk

6) Corrigan Bay (East) reflection of the headland on the black basalt shoreline.
20091226-125558-IMG_3512.jpg

7) Corrigan Bay (East) long exposure of the blue sky reflected on the dark waves and black basalt rocks.
20091226-130322-IMG_3525.jpg

8) Seaweed on Corrigan Sands - that TS-E is unbelievably good!
20091226-133620-IMG_3584.jpg

9) Corrigan Sands are made of of pure black and pure white sand that separate when moved by waves.
20091226-133921-IMG_3589.jpg

10) St Edwards in the evening light under the Cuillins of Rhum
20091226-141401-IMG_3655.jpg

Production note: These haven't been near Photoshop, but they have all been through Lightroom. Unfortunately the monitor I'm using isn't calibrated, so I haven't touched white balance and am relying on the histogram to try and get the tones right. Fingers crossed they look reasonable on your monitors too..... For example, images 1 and 8 are supposed to be dark, the question is whether they are too dark......

I was thinking they looked a bit under exposed then remembered I turned my monitor brightness down :shake::bonk:

Some really nice shots. I especially like number 3, the hills look much larger than they are. And number 8 is fantastic.

Last edited:
theyre all really good and i particularly like 2 and 3, please do post more in the thread :)

Great pics - brings back memories.
Never been on Canna, but I recall being on the beach at Glenbrittle in Skye one New Year's day. It was sunset and the sinking sun slid down behind the centre of Canna. I got a very spectacular transparency with the sun reflected of the sea all the way from the island to the beach on Skye.

Amazing photo's duncan, very jelous of your location!!

Number 8 is truely amazing...(y)

Hope you had a good Christmas!!:)

Don't know what image/mood you're trying to achieve but they all look very fine on my monitor.

Day 2 on the Isle of Canna........
Today the weather was too good :(
OK - I've got sun/wind burn but the light was SO harsh.
I deleted the majority of my images just by looking at the back of the camera; yesterday was so much easier to get good images.
But at the end of the day I'm pretty pleased with what I've captured and my Mum says she like some of them too, so I may be being too hard on myself :)

Just to reitterate - colourwise, all these are as taken. They may look monochrome, but that's just the harsh light.

1) Tarbert Beach taking advantage of the TS-E - I quite like this and I feel sure a make-over in photoshop could produce a cracking image.
20091227-103427-IMG_3699.jpg

2) Conta-Jour on Tarbert Beach. I took quite a lot of these but is was something about this minimalist image that appeals to me.
20091227-112950-IMG_3784.jpg

3) That TS-E in action again showing the breaking wave in the context of the island splendour. This is one of my favourites of the trip so far.
20091227-121402-IMG_3823.jpg

4) Tarbert Beach with that TS-E in action once more. I love the way it manages to blend the overall scene with quite detailed close up in a way that does not look contrived.
20091227-121857-IMG_3839.jpg

5) Columnar Basalt glory. There is little sense of scale, but this rock outcrop is about as high as a two story house. I love the way the chaos contrasts with the order in the background and foreground, probably one of those rare occasions a featureless sky add to the image.
20091227-124653-IMG_3889.jpg

Last edited:
6) Mmmm, Basalt.... Columnar goodness brought to you courtesy of the TS-E - I took this same shot last year with a 'normal' lens and you can't get that foreground without compromise. TS-E lenses rock!
20091227-132823-IMG_3934.jpg

7) I'm astonished to say this is where I'm staying! It's not really this remote, but this image looks like the house at the end of the universe. This was taken teetering on the edge of a cliff with the 24mm to get everything from straight down to the horizon in shot.
20091227-135921-IMG_3955.jpg

8) "The Drowning Man" - is it just me or does this look like a bloke with a huge nose drowning ?
20091227-144435-IMG_3973.jpg

9) I like this abstract shot, but my Mum says it is rude. I haven't 'got it' yet, but I still like it. Anyone else agree with my Mum ????????
20091227-145053-IMG_3990.jpg

10) Finally - a very strange landscape shot. I haven't tweaked this other than a light grad over the top of the sky but it looks highly processed. How bizarre is the colour of that water in the distance??????
20091227-151351-IMG_4033.jpg

All excellent shots Duncan, you should be very pleased with them.

It might be me but I think some of the horizons will need tweaking when you get back...;)

Amazing shots loving the close ups of the pebbles but all good, so sharp and crisp

It might be me but I think some of the horizons will need tweaking when you get back...;)
LOL - you are right!
I already straightened the worst - but I've got to admit I'm struggling with this wide angle composition stuff. When the horizon is at the top is is curved, which doesn't help - but that's more of an excuse than anything else!
Perhaps I should cut my losses and take up water-skiing ;)

Some great images there Duncan, nice TSE lens, wish I had one ;)

We lost the harsh sunshine, but it wasn't all good news as we had a light sleet shower and there was so much cloud it was seriously dark until about 11am.

1) Frozen Beach - pure white sand and ice held together by kelp from a recent big storm.
20091228-114040-IMG_4113.jpg

2) I'm writing this from the house on the far side of the bay. If you can ignore the biting cold then this place is nearly idyllic.
20091228-120544-IMG_4135.jpg

3) Sanday beach from above. There are no deer on Canna and the cows aren't allowed onto this beach, so the tracks are probably human but must be quite old as noone has been to this beach since I arrived.
20091228-122157-IMG_4176.jpg

4) Corrigan Beach and more TS-E goodness - it makes you see landscapes in a whole new way.
20091228-140839-IMG_4186.jpg

5) Sand pattern on Corrigan Beach; the pure black and pure white grain sands have mixed to create this abstract painting.
20091228-141748-IMG_4213.jpg

Last edited:
6) Corrigan pebbles shot into the sun - very interesting result!
20091228-145035-IMG_4275.jpg

7) The same pebbles but a different wave. These shots get totally unpredictable results and I like both of these!
20091228-145414-IMG_4286.jpg

8) The Moon at Sunset - I'm sure this has been done loads of time before but I really like it!
20091228-150539-IMG_4312.jpg

9) Cuillins of Rhum in the evening light
20091228-150924-IMG_4324.jpg

10) The definition of remote????? There is something spooky about the isolation of the derelict farmhouse in this shot.
20091228-152530-IMG_4340.jpg

Strewth it's cold!!!! A bitter easterly wind and weird lighting.
Although the skies to the north are clear blue, the sun is shining though high-altitude frost laden clouds. The result is very little light on the ground and a much brighter sky, regardless which bit of sky gets included in the shot.

I only managed to get out for a couple of hours before I froze and it took a very long time to thaw out.

1) Freezing my nuts off on Corrigan showing the edge between the blue and frosty clouds.
20091229-105653-IMG_4349.jpg

2) Looking south from Corrigan straight into the frost laden clouds - yes it was as cold as this makes it look.
20091229-110149-IMG_4368.jpg

3) Corrigan has a rock tower with a tiny castle on top. Legend has it the tower was last used about 300 years ago by a clan chief to lock his wife up while he went away on on raids etc.
20091229-110330-IMG_4376.jpg

4) Some of the woods on Canna are looking like they have seen better days. That cold cold sky again....
20091229-112031-IMG_4404.jpg

Last edited:
5) The Cuillins of Skye in the distance. They are in the sunshine but Canna is masked by the shadow from those horrendous cold clouds. At least the edge between the blue and cold clouds is rather pretty.
20091229-114507-IMG_4427.jpg

6) Isle of Rhum in the distance with Sanday (part of Canna) in the middle. The fence marks a 400ft drop straight to the granite shoreline.
20091229-115447-IMG_4436.jpg

7) That's not a dust bunny, it's a Peregrine Falcon. I had disturbed it peering over the edge of the cliff and this is it skudding back to it's regular haunt. A year ago these same falcons decided to drive me off by persistent screaming diving attacks; this year's low profile approach was much better for my nerves.
20091229-121336-IMG_4458.jpg

Thanks for the lovely comments - photographically today has been a bit of a struggle.
I really appreciate the support; a heart felt thanks to anyone multi-posting in this thread!

However, I've got a couple of days off soon - they take new year VERY seriously up here.
It's a tough job, but somebody has to do it, etc, etc........

No idea what happens tomorrow; or the rest of my stay.
I'm taking images of whatever appears under my nose.
But am trying to make the opportunities.
My regret is that I wish I wish I took people pictures - the islanders are such characters (including the pets) - there's some wonderful images to be had but I'm too shy to ask.

A great read and wonderful images. Love #10 (remote) but could maybe be warmed up just a touch to soften the blue cast?

Have no idea what your mum is on about :)

I've visited Scotland in Winter enough times to know that when you get good weather you drop everything and make the most of it - which is what I have been doing. But today the weather turned uncomfortable and photography is is rapidly becoming an extreme sport.

When I reported yesterday that it was cold I really meant it. Although I felt fine while I was out, when I got back to the house I got a chill and couldn't get warm despite huddling up to the fire wearing thermals long-johns and two extra fleeces on top of my jumper. A large part of the problem was the strong winds are driving all the heat from the house. This is not helped by the cat flap missing it's flap. So to preserve my health and sanity this morning was spent repairing the cat flap.......... It's not finished yet - I had to go foraging on the beaches for spare parts. But at least it is air-tight and at long last the house is toasty. To give an impression of how bitterly cold it is - I lost feeling in my hands while working on the cat-flap......

1) This first photo was taken last night when the moon rose with an astonishing icy halo around it. Taken hand-held with the 24mm TS-E by jumping out the door into the viciously cold wind, click, and back into the warm. I honestly couldn't have faced more.
20091229-180606-IMG_4461.jpg

2) Yesterday's lighting challenge was coping with blue skies to the north and ice clouds to the south. Today's challenge was simpler to understand but very hard to cope with - thick dark ice laden clouds from horizon to horizon. It was like shooting at night!
20091230-140051-IMG_4473.jpg

3) I walked down to the columnar basalt for a good explore. I was extremely lazy about tripods etc and lost a lot of shots due to poor technique. This was hand-held, but it's one I got away with. The colours of the basalt in the dark crevices were unbelievably vivid purple and green. I need to go back there when I can afford to stop and look without freezing solid.
20091230-141232-IMG_4506.jpg

4) The columnar basalt is unhelpfully split by lots of these huge inlets which generally end up in a sea-cave. They make exploring very challenging. Note how crap that sky is with its thick ice laden cloud.....
20091230-141831-IMG_4520.jpg

5) This columnar basalt sharks fin is one of the dramatic features on this stretch of coast.
20091230-142005-IMG_4526.jpg

6) I've left my boots in shot to show the scale and prove I was standing on the edge of a columnar basalt cliff above deep water with a white sand bottom creating the lovely colour.
20091230-142232-IMG_4534.jpg

7) Here's the sharks fin from a different direction showing one of the many cliffs that tower over the coastal track.
20091230-142559-IMG_4545.jpg

8) More of those pesky inlets - you should see them with a big swell, they are truly spectacular....
20091230-143348-IMG_4570.jpg

9) Is it just me - or is this a caricature of King Kong ?
20091230-144716-IMG_4613.jpg

10) Finally, the only image I shot today on a tripod - mainly as a technical exercise - the closest point is about 6 inches and the distant point is about 50ft - it is all bitingly sharp and would not have been possible without the TS-E and a DSLR to check focus.
20091230-151510-IMG_4649.jpg

How lucky are you to be able to take this wonderful photographs and how fantastic are they?? My first DSLR arrived today and this is just the inspiration I am looking for to take it out on a long costal walk tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing some more.

Amazing photos yet again Duncan...i'm loving the photo with the feet left in.

The moon one is also cool but how on earth did you not get any camera shake in the photo? Was it a high iso?

Duncan,
I look forward to reading this every update. This is an excellent thread with wonderful photos.

Mick.

Claire, we all work differently, I take my landscapes by having a darned good walk/explore and keeping the camera close to hand. When it feels right I lift the camera and take the shot. I rarely wait for the light and when I do they are seldom better than the ones I snap on-the-hoof.

Wilbaroo - ahem.... There is quite bad camera shake but you can get away with murder using a wide angle lens; it's probably good enough for a 6x4 print. I should have taken a few and kept the best, but I only took the one. ISO3200, 24mm f10, 3.2s. If I'd been warm enough to think 'd have opened up the aperture - hey ho....

Mick, Caroline - thanks for the kind words.
I've sorted out today's photos and the next instalment will be up soon.
Today was a good day and I'm very happy with the photos - enjoy!

wow - just catching up on the site and this thread is fantastic...
got some great landscapes and abstracts - and you get the sense that its a fabulous (if cold!) place to be in the winter...
keep em coming! and enjoy this evening!!!!!

The wind turned from east round to north which means the mountains are sheltering us from yesterday's horrendous strong cold wind. Also, we lost the ice-laden cloud leaving blue sky with fluffy white clouds. Suddenly I found I had energy to do more than simply survive. I really looked forward to getting out with my camera but life is rarely that simple......

I had a couple of things to do other than take photos. Firstly I needed to finish building the cat-flap so the cat could use it without human assistance and secondly I wanted to be down at the pier when the ferry arrived. The ferry timing meant the only sensible option was to set off photographing early afternoon till dusk. Imagine my frustration looking at the wonderful photogenic weather, keeping my fingers crossed it didn't deteriorate.

1) I decided to head back to the spectacular basalt that I visited yesterday. Some fairly hefty snow showers were skirting Canna which meant the light was not always quite right, but the sky was wonderful. It's a 40 minute walk with the sea on the left and cliffs on the right with mewing white tailed eagles - it really is wonderful to be here.
20091231-134830-IMG_4706.jpg

2) It seems rabbits don't like thistles. There is a ring of uneaten grass around every thistle.
20091231-135348-IMG_4721.jpg

3) Starting to get near the basalt and the character of the coast changes dramatically.
20091231-135818-IMG_4731.jpg

4) The yellow lichen is even more vivid than it looks on my monitor. The colours in this coastline can be dramatic.
20091231-140447-IMG_4750.jpg

5) One of the snow showers narrowly missed me providing this incredible skyscape.
20091231-142924-IMG_4787.jpg

Last edited:
6) The basalt come in lots of flavours, not just columnar. This inlet is ringed by columnar basalt, but the wall behind it is weirdly different. It's tough terrain to explore as there are actually three basalt walls in this image, each about 20ft high with a deep trough between them. This photo is looking at quite a large area!!!!
20091231-144201-IMG_4827.jpg

7) The same sharks fin as yesterday - what a difference 24 hours makes!
20091231-144419-IMG_4841.jpg

8) The columnar basalt is surprisingly hard to photograph. You'd expect every shot to be massively good, but it does not work that way. This one does it for me though!
20091231-145121-IMG_4867.jpg

9) Suddenly the evening light turned golden and although the gap in the clouds was tiny and I didn't have long, it was exceptionally good light. I'm still trying to work out if my photos have done it justice.
20091231-152013-IMG_4948.jpg

10) Golden evening light on the sharks fine with Rhum in the background - a fitting climax to a brief but wonderful walk with my camera.
20091231-152154-IMG_4956.jpg

Two of my basalt images show I was being watched from the water.
My Mum and I can't decide what it is; it is either a small seal or the large male Otter spotted in this same spot at the same time of day yesterday.
I do hope I unintentionally took an Otter picture :D

wow!! superb shots really...I think the pics of your Day 2 are generally the best..all great photos nonetheless...

Evening All !
Nissed as a pewt
So no photos till tomorrow

Like I've said - they take new year seriously up here and the celebrations only kicked off in this house at 4pm new years day.
After a good long walk in the hills I now need some food and sleep - badly........

Today was some rather nice skyscapes culminating with the best sunset I've seen in a very very long time - photos coming tomorrow morning.
And I can confirm the UWO (Unidentified Watery Object) is definitely a large male Otter - had a superb viewing on my way back this evening - camera did not do it justice but the bins were brilliant.

Hello West Pennard - glad to see you have joined the 21st century ;)
Wilbaroo - if you like No 5 then you will love today's skyscapes - check back tomorrow when I've sobered up!

TTFN - Hic $%^

Back