Any Advice - First Rugby Match

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
I am covering my first Rugby match this weekend, Saracens v Leicester Tigers. As i am not the most avid of Rugby fans, I'm looking for any advice that's on offer, for covering Rugby, i.e. best places to sit etc

Your lens would dictate positioning a bit..

Working for agency I get told... no matter how dramatic it looks on the day... player scoring a great try comes out as... man running wiht ball.. man placing ball on floor... not great pics... They prefer player clashes... good facials are more important than a try or score.

I'll be using a 120-300mm lens, possible with a x1.4 extender (depending on weather/light)

I'm glad you said that about the trys. I was thinking that if i sat near the try line to get any anticipated trys, i could be limiting myself.

Hi James

a lot depends on where youre actually allowed to go not where you think is best, if its a televised game all likelyhood is you will be in a fixed position and not allowed to move unless youre having a heart attack, SKY rule the roost im afraid

Im not a union shooter per say but dont try to chase the game up the sidelines as the numpties just kick the ball 80 yards downfield when you get near it, youll end up running a marathon.

Sorry i cant be more help bit i think someone with specific knowledge of the ground and restrictions will be of more use to you

It is a massive game and will be played in front of a full house so you should have decent backgrounds where as im covering Leeds v Bath and probably no more than 3-4000 turn up and scatter themselves all over the ground making some shots look mlike im covering an amateur game

Good luck and post some stuff up,

Vicarage Road is pretty good for access on three sides of the pitch - the stewards and media team are very helpful. You will be in the main stand for the media centre - it's a rather fragile building that only the press and teams are allowed in. There's plenty of power and space in the press room and it's the only time I've been served scones, jam and cream before kick off!

I tend to sit behind the try line for at least one half and on the 5ish metre line - if you actually sit at the 5m line itself you'll take a lot of photos of the Assistant referee's bum:)

The players to watch out for are the likes of Lewis Moody, Steve Borthwick (ie England players - we are in the run up to the Six Nations) and as Sarries announced the signing of Jacques (edit: got wrong one earlier!) Burger you could be seeing his debut in the back row. Toby Flood is very photogenic and if he is being clattered by a flying Burger that could make for some spectacular shots.

I don't think Sky is showing this match live so you should be fine with access so enjoy the match:)

Last edited:
James, i tend to sit behind the try line on the side next to the rickerty stand (with 400mm) hence more of a better backdrop than seeing an empty one, not sure if they have completed the building work in the far left corner of the stand, been a while since i've been back to Vicarage road. Football matches you are restricted to one side, so enjoy the freedom of moving.

Also Wifi is only provided by the cloud so if your an o2 user its free.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice guys, im looking forward to it. I'll post some images after the game.

Nice to know about the wifi too.

no problem, you may even be lucky and get pizza afterwards, look forward to seeing the images

It would be good to see if we (ie. those who attend matches regularly) can build up a good file of what the grounds are like, seating locations, light levels, food, parking, inside info etc.

If people contribute we can build up a good factfile for people! Especially useful for those who only occasionally go to a ground!

Something that hasn't been mentioned is are you shooting from a Sarries or Tigers perspective, as you really need to be at the end the team your shooting for are attacking.
I also shoot using the same set up as you and find that its good from the halfway line to the try line, when sitting behind the deadball line. Any further upfield and you end up cropping a bit too much.
Enjoy the game and atmosphere.

It would be good to see if we (ie. those who attend matches regularly) can build up a good file of what the grounds are like, seating locations, light levels, food, parking, inside info etc.

If people contribute we can build up a good factfile for people! Especially useful for those who only occasionally go to a ground!

Excellent Idea James i think we should do that for football too. I'll be more than happy to write up PNE and Blackpool

Oh and Jimmy. I look forward to seeing your shots :) and i have to say im a teeeny bit jealous as i've not shot top level rugby yet :razz: :p

Last edited:
Your lens would dictate positioning a bit..

Working for agency I get told... no matter how dramatic it looks on the day... player scoring a great try comes out as... man running wiht ball.. man placing ball on floor... not great pics... They prefer player clashes... good facials are more important than a try or score.

I'd have to disagree out of the huge amount of rugby photos I've seen and the few thousand I've taken this is one brilliant photo!

petestringervbiarritz.jpg

Oh and Jimmy. I look forward to seeing your shots :) and i have to say im a teeeny bit jealous as I've not shot top level rugby yet :razz: :p

Lol, no need to be jealous. You will get your chance. Did you send off your application for accreditation?

I am not really shooting with a bias to either side, i will be sending some into the local paper, so will need some decent sarries ones, but any others i will probably just send on spec to various other papers mags. You never know, i might get lucky! :thinking:

Back