RAW problem then...

Ambermile

A Whole Lot of Sparkle..
Name
Arthur
Edit My Images
No
Can somebody tell me what I am doing wrong please? Below is a shot I took this morning, RAW, all I have done is made it forum-size and converted to jpg.

rawtest-main.jpg

Now, the next is a subframe of the main shot to show you my problem - which is no matter what I do I cannot get a sharp image from RAW data...

rawtest-sub.jpg

When I sharpen, I sharpen the nasty spiky lines rather than the whole image... Yes, I know I am not using the all-hallowed Photoshop or Lightroom but nonetheless, is there a part of the process I am missing? PhotoImpact has a RAW section that allows lots of messing before actually opening the iamge for editing but even the initial file *before* any manipulation looks like this.

I either have to get this sorted or just give in and go back to jpeg!

Arthur

PS - yes, I know the sensor is dirty, been like that since I got it.

Wait a minute, do I have to blur first then sharpen? So far that's the only way I can get close to a decent focus :(

blur-sharpen.jpg

Try downloading Raw Therapee which is a freebie RAW converter. All RAW images require sharpening and tweaking, but that is kind of the point - you're in control not the cameras processing.

Or download trial versions of photoshop elements or lightroom 2 (or lightroom 3 beta)

are you sure the pics you are taking are in focus to start with ?

if you want email me the original RAW and i'll sharpen it in photoshop and see if its any different

Hmm. I have lR2 here already but just cannot get on with it at all, can't find anything, don;t like the workspace, and so on... guess I got to just buckle down :(

But if RAW images require sharpening, and the PI pre-load window has all the options including that, but the image is like the above as a RAW. Can someone post me one of their raws close up like the one above?

Arthur

emailing the file might be fun - it's a biggy?

and if they're not sharp I got a major problem or two there anyway... camera shot to hell/lens shot to hell/my eyes shot to hell :(

My point is really - are all RAW images like that crop before sharpening? All mine are and that's nothing to do with focus, it's the image itself.

Arthur

Can someone post me one of their raws close up like the one above?

Arthur

Here goes .....

not sure how much help this will be ?

mr1k.jpg

73801251.jpg

this was a RAW taken this morning (dont ask me why :LOL:)

all i've done is save it as a JPEG

There, see? Your RAW sub frame and mine totally different... yet both Nikon. Hmm, worried now.

Arthur

PS - that street looks like and insurance company's nightmare! Not to mention getting along without stepping on the cracks...

CA is not causing the spikey edges though... and since they are not part of the original image then they could be green and pink with purple stripes! Just DL'ing NX to see what it does with the files.

apologies for asking a daft question but is your camera set on its correct setting for resolution and pic quality ?

CA is not causing the spikey edges though... and since they are not part of the original image then they could be green and pink with purple stripes! Just DL'ing NX to see what it does with the files.

it must be magic then............. if its not in the original image why is it showing in the crop & the image you have of the wood and pully :thinking:

Can we forget the CA for a minute please? It is the least of my problems right now.

MrGas, the D1x does not let you get access to the RAW option unless the other settings are selected properly.

Arthur

Can we forget the CA for a minute please? It is the least of my problems tight now.

MrGas, the D1x does not let you get access to the RAW option unless the other settings are selected properly.

Arthur

yeah , i'd forgot that ! just a though though :)

Well, looks like PI is poo at RAW, NX displays a perfect picture, so loaded into LR, burnt to full-size jpg and now get this:

sharp-full.jpg

sharp.jpg

Which is, I feel, a wee bit of an improvement! Just the little CA to get over and I think I may be ready to take some pictures!

Arthur

errrm, what is raw?
:D

Every time your camera takes a picture the firmware in the camera has a look at it and tweaks it to a preset standard (brightness, contrast, colour, sharpness, softness, and so on...). RAW is just that, the raw image data before the camera gets it's little paws on it.

Arthur

How do you shoot in raw then?
cheers :D

The same way you shoot in any format, run through your camera menus until you get the picture-taking section, and if your camera has the option it will be in there. Near the resolution stuff.

Here's the above messed a little and squashed to fit the forum...

sharp-full-800.jpg

Yup - I remember asking on here about when to sharpen and was told by a very nice person that it's the last thing before saving. Anyway, big sigh of relief now - and as I said, just gotta go learn how to take pictures now...

Arthur

Back