*mtracerz Fifty2 thread* - Week 3: Chopped - 03/02/10

Name
Rikki
Edit My Images
Yes
Seen some great examples of the 52 threads from last year so decided I would take part this year, to keep me motivated and thinking creatively about photography, and exploring new techniques.

I only purchased my Canon 40D on 23rd December, so its all new to me, so hopefully this thread will document my improvement throughout the coming weeks, and will be interesting to look through this time next year.

Thank you for taking the time to check out my 52, and would appreciate it if you gave me any C&C you feel necessary. Would prefer to know if I'm doing something wrong, or could improve in an area, even if its only minor. I'm doing this to learn and to better myself. This will not be achieved through people sidestepping flaws, and being polite :)

I will keep this post updated with the current weeks entry, and links to all my previous entries.

Cheers,
Rikki (y)

Last edited:
I will be glad to stick the knife in mate :LOL::LOL: only joking will keep an eye on this sounds a good idea (y)

Ok heres my first entry into my 52.

I wanted to try some long exposure shots on water, as I love the misty all most surreal look it gives off. So I decided to have a trip down to the Perth bridge to see if I could get a result. Was bloody freezing, however I was quite happy with what I got. There were a couple of shots I liked, and stuggled to decide on my final one. Will give reasoning below.
Please throw all your C&C at me, good and bad! As said in the original post, I wont learn if people dont show me where im goig wrong, or what areas I can improve in.

Perth_Bridge2-1.jpg

F9 , 20 Second Exposure , 100 ISO

Decided on this as my final image. I was struggling to decide between this and a couple of others (see below) Finally went for this as I preferred the colour of the bridge, and feel that the shadows and the definition in the arches are a lot stronger, and as the subject was curves, I felt this met the criteria.

Perth_Bridge4.jpg

F7.1 , 4 Second Exposure , 100 ISO

Came close to a toss up between the final image I decided on and this one. I prefer the water, and the rocks and mud at the river edge at the bottom of the shot. Feel they have a nice murkey mood about them. However, I prefer the bridge in the original, and like I said, as it was the curves theme, made my decision up on the first image.

Perth_Bridge_Fence_With_Bus_EDIT-1.jpg

F13 , 30 Second Exposure , 250 ISO

Ok, being honest, out of the three this is my favorite shot. Im going to have a guess that some people (maybe more?) wont like the fence? But I do :D And I love the lighting coming off the bus traveling along the bridge. However, again, the main focus of this shot isnt the arches on the bridge, and as a result of this, the shot was binned.

Well thank you for looking at my first entry to the 52, I enjoyed having to think before shooting, and really think taking part in this over the year will help make me become a more confident photographer, and help me try things I probably wouldn't attempt on my own.

Once again, all C&C would be really appreciated.

Rikki.

EDIT: After receiving feedback from my original submission, I have cropped my main entry, aswell as the 'blue' image (due to that being the clear favorite out of the 3) Please let me know what you think!

Perth_Bridge2_crop.jpg
Cropped this one at both the right and left side, to take out the half arch, and the buildings at the end of the bridge. Definitely an improvement here! Thank you for the advice Scott and Sarah!

Perth_Bridge4_crop.jpg
With this one I have left the left side untouched, as I'm not sure whether it benefits the shot having it in or not? However have taken out the buildings at the end of the bridge again, as they really didn't add anything at all, and took away from the bridge.

Comments welcome!

Last edited:
Second shot for me, I love a bit of soft water. Only thing I would say is to crop the first part of the arch out, just a little niggle.

(y)

Second shot for me, I love a bit of soft water. Only thing I would say is to crop the first part of the arch out, just a little niggle.

(y)

Argh, I want to agree with you, in fact I do agree with you. Prefer the second :LOL: Though I wont change it now, due to that being the original decision.
I will go have a play with the crop and see how it looks, thats something I will have to work at over the coming weeks, not very good at cropping down shots, usually just stick with what comes out of the camera.
All things I will hopefully pick up with experience though.

Thank you for the comment and advice, appreciated (y)

Super spot for this weeks theme, plus taken at night adds even more interest.

Thank you for the kind comments. I agree, feel that the night shot gives it a really nice mood, and contributes a lot to the shot.

really quite like the third photo, although i see why it was discounted. I think i slightly prefer the blue tinge to the second shot!

Now these are 3 shots that I really want to keep looking at. A great start to the 52. (y)

I can see why you went for shot No.1, but I think I prefer the second one.
The contrast between the blueish railing and the warm bridge is a bit too much for me in No.1 (the 2 elements look a bit disconnected). While in No.2 they're more alike in tone and look more like part of the same entity (if that makes any sense at all :LOL:)
Really like the light trails in the third one, but the fence just isn't for me (sorry!!!)

Just one niggle from me :
I'm not sure what's going on to the far right of the shot (at the end of the bridge) It seems like there are a lot of structures there, but they all seem a bit muddled . . . probably due to the fact that it's night time and the perspective.
I don't think that they're adding anything to the shot, so I think I'd crop a bit off the RHS to lose them.

I also prefer the 2nd one........ It has a colder feel to it.

I am one that doesnt like the railings as I feel they distract you from the main picture. I like your take on the theme but the railings almost takes that away.

Great start!! Love it (y)

really quite like the third photo, although i see why it was discounted. I think i slightly prefer the blue tinge to the second shot!
Yeah that is the same way I look at it, really like the third. However, didn't fit the theme aswell. Yeah looking at it again I prefer the blue also, really cooling atmosphere it creates, which goes well with the icey water. Think I went off the second one as it was the first one I took into PP, and thought I only liked it more as it was the first proper shot I had taken.
Thank you for your kind comments :)
Now these are 3 shots that I really want to keep looking at. A great start to the 52. (y)

I can see why you went for shot No.1, but I think I prefer the second one.
The contrast between the blueish railing and the warm bridge is a bit too much for me in No.1 (the 2 elements look a bit disconnected). While in No.2 they're more alike in tone and look more like part of the same entity (if that makes any sense at all :LOL:)
Really like the light trails in the third one, but the fence just isn't for me (sorry!!!)

Just one niggle from me :
I'm not sure what's going on to the far right of the shot (at the end of the bridge) It seems like there are a lot of structures there, but they all seem a bit muddled . . . probably due to the fact that it's night time and the perspective.
I don't think that they're adding anything to the shot, so I think I'd crop a bit off the RHS to lose them.

Thank you so much for your reply, im really glad you like them, and comments like this will be what drives me on to push myself every week.

I can see where you are coming from with the railings looking slightlu unnatural. Hadnt noticed this until you mentioned it, but it really stands out to me now, well noticed.

Yeah I really like the light trails too! And completely understand you not liking the fence! Just one of those things that I like, and you dont. Would be boring if we all liked the same!

I have see what you mean about the buildings at the end.
I have just cropped the original image at both the right and left hand sides in response to your comment, and also foggy4ever. I have also cropped out the second "blue" shot by taking out the right hand side you pointed out, however have left the arch at the left, as im not sure if it is effecting the shot at all? Opinions?

I also prefer the 2nd one........ It has a colder feel to it.

I am one that doesnt like the railings as I feel they distract you from the main picture. I like your take on the theme but the railings almost takes that away.

Thanks for taking the time to comment vinny.

As I said in the reply above, I fully expected some people not to like the railings. I personally think that they add something to the picture, however really like the shots without them aswell.
As to the railings taking away from the theme, this is a shot I have binned from the 52, due to the railings taking away from the curved theme. I added it just to show what considerations I made to my final choice, as I want to try better myself at choosing one shot out of the batch that best meets what ever is required.

Great start!! Love it (y)

Thank you Dave :) I also am quite pleased with my first effort, just have to keep it up now!

I will go upload the crops now, please let me know what you think (y)

Nice shots mate really like the second one, i think the white balance in number 3 is about right as far as correctness is concerned but i like the blue cast in #2. I think a combination between 2 and 3 would be stunning (as in #2 with the bus in it) congrats on your first shot in your 52 looks like you are getting there now, only one other thing, i might have tried f8 or slighty higher (y)

Nice shots mate really like the second one, i think the white balance in number 3 is about right as far as correctness is concerned but i like the blue cast in #2. I think a combination between 2 and 3 would be stunning (as in #2 with the bus in it) congrats on your first shot in your 52 looks like you are getting there now, only one other thing, i might have tried f8 or slighty higher (y)

Have been waiting on this one.. think I survived it :p

I agree a mix of 2 and 3 would be a cracker, will see what I can do in photoshop tonight.
Number 2 was the only one I shot below f8, the other 2 were higher. I was just playing with a few alternatives, as I still havnt quite grasped what each f number / shutterspeed etc will produce. So I tried a couple :)

Cheers for the comments though :)

great shots.. I like the one with the fence and bus but can see why you didnt go with it for the curved theme.. am rubbish at night photography, would love to take photos like these!

great shots.. I like the one with the fence and bus but can see why you didnt go with it for the curved theme.. am rubbish at night photography, would love to take photos like these!

Thank you Michelle :)
Yeah thats my favorite aswell, though im going to try what Neil suggested in the last comment and combine 2 and 3, or at least get the colours of 2 into 3.

Iv only picked up a camera for the first time around 3 weeks ago, and was my first time shooting at night, so im going to take a wild guess and say you can already take photos like those. Get out there and try it (y)

EDIT:
Removed due to being drunk whilst editing :LOL:

:beer::beer:

Last edited:
My fave is definitely the edited blue version (without the fence), I wish that had the light trail from the bus on it but it's a lovely shot anyway.

Last edited:
My fave is definitely the edited blue version (without the fence), I wish that had the light trail from the bus on it but it's a lovely shot anyway.

Thanks for taking the time to comment Dave. I to agree that if I had caught the bus going over on the blueish shot it would have been a cracker.

May pop down to the bridge again and see if I can get a better result :)

I'll go with the edited bluer version without the fence. I can see why you like the mud and rocks in the foreground, they are very good, but the fence is in the way. Nicely taken, and on theme.

I'll go with the edited bluer version without the fence. I can see why you like the mud and rocks in the foreground, they are very good, but the fence is in the way. Nicely taken, and on theme.

Yeah seems to be the clear favorite. Decided im going to get my 52 printed into a book at the end of the year, so will be selecting that one for this weeks entry. :)
Thanks for the comment (y)

Must say I prefer the non blue without the fence. Second from the right fifteenth down... Only joking :) I must say I think you have 100% the right attitude for this as regards the C&C, and to go out in this weather and even take a photo would deserve a pat on the back imo. This is a great capture and I will go with the second image too. The very last blue one seems very over saturated to me.

I'm a fan of the blue without fence :) My only niggle was the crop when I first saw this, but by the time I'd scrolled through you'd fixed it anyway. Lovely image (y)

I like that alot, I'm a fan of bridges :) (y)

I like the lighting on this, as said taking the picture at night has given it more interest and atmosphere (y)

Must say I prefer the non blue without the fence. Second from the right fifteenth down... Only joking :) I must say I think you have 100% the right attitude for this as regards the C&C, and to go out in this weather and even take a photo would deserve a pat on the back imo. This is a great capture and I will go with the second image too. The very last blue one seems very over saturated to me.

Yeah the blue one with the fence looks horrible, was really early hours, few to many beers. Might actually go take that one back down.. ha.

Yeah I think so too, no point people beating round the bush. If it doenst look good, Id rather know. So I dont keep making the same mistakes.
Yeah it was bloody cold, hands were numb as hell when I jumped back in the car to drive home, was definitely worth it though!

Thank you for taking the time to comment!

I'm a fan of the blue without fence :) My only niggle was the crop when I first saw this, but by the time I'd scrolled through you'd fixed it anyway. Lovely image (y)

I agree! Going to take the blue one with the fence down, Really poor attempt!
Yeah, it was picked up on really soon, crops definately look better!
Thanks for the comment!

The 4 second shot works best for me - the second shot in your second post.
Yes, I agree, seems to be the favorite by a mile! Thanks for taking the time to comment.

I like the 3rd shot down with this title F7.1 , 4 Second Exposure , 100 ISO
Thank you, my favorite too!

Wow lots to choose from in here! :) I like the 2nd picture in the 2nd post the best.
Yeah, there is a fair variety on here now! Plenty to look at, im just glad they are making people look, makes it seem worthwhile, thanks for the comment!

I like that alot, I'm a fan of bridges (y)

I like the lighting on this, as said taking the picture at night has given it more interest and atmosphere (y)

Thanks! I really enjoyed taking the bridge aswell, especially since it was lit up. Really strong subject to shoot!

Some interesting takes of the old brig there. Second one works for me.

Grr.... Chose the wrong time to update this there, just lost my post after typing it out for about 20mins!!! :bang: So here we go again...

Ok, so for this week, il be honest.. When poetry was thrown up for the theme, I was a little erm.. :thinking:
However, I then decided that there is imagery to go with any theme, and I'd just have to be creative.

I decided that I wanted to try something different again this week, so settled on trying to set up a still life, and attempt to light it up properly.

Now I had to decide on a theme. I wanted to go for a dark, moody theme; So I started my search for some poems that would relate to this.
I then discovered that my girlfriend had some dead rose heads (Yes im a romantic :p) So I thought I could use these. I started thinking about heart broken, dark, sad, death etc and so away I went back to google to find something that would inspire me.
A few mins in and I came across the one I wanted, fitted what I was after perfectly, a really dark and sinister piece. Which then gave me the idea to have a scene which portrayed someone who felt the only way over their broken heart was suicide..hey it was the poem who was sinister, not me :LOL:

I then got to setting up in my girlfriends bedroom. I broke her mirror stand, ruined her lipstick and got candlewax on the curtains... was good fun.. :LOL:

I decided I wanted to try out lighting it with just candles, and one table lamp, which I placed on the floor below the set up, and used a mirrow to bounce the light onto the pills.

Now il say now im far from happy with my final image, I had an idea I really liked in my head for how I wanted it to look. However my lack of experience has shown through here, and things just didnt work out :(

As always, I would really appreciate your C&C's, and how I could improve this image. I can then take this as part of a learning curve, and hopefuly apply this in future projects.

Thank you very much for taking the time to look (y)
Rikki.

F5.6 , 0.3 Second Exposure , 160 ISO

This is what I decided to go with as my final image. Decided to make it black and white, and had just the red of the lipstick and some of the roses come through in red, through it being a strong colour, and I feel it looks good coming out of the black. It also portrays the colour of blood, which I think links into the story of death, which is present in my scene. Like I say, not too happy with the end result, however I like the concept idea behind it, and will look to improve on this in the future.

F5.6 , 0.3 Second Exposure , 160 ISO

This is the the alternate version I will post this week, Its just the same image as before, without the desaturation and colour select. Again, with a bit more lighting/shooting/PP experience, feel this could of been good.
Throw all C&C's you can think of at me, I appreciate the time people take to help others better themselves.

(y)

Looking at it again, I might try get rid of the flame to the bottom left of the frame. Will try this later tonight tomorrow.

Its not that bad it is guys?? :LOL:

Not at all, I really like the photo :clap: and the treatment you have given it.
Certainly think that the black/white version has much more impact than the colour.

I do think that the poem text could do with being a bit bigger, I struggle to read it and it does draw the eye away from what is a very good image.

Maybe try putting the poem above the picture or below. Generally I prefer to see the poem built into the picture but I am not sure that there is space on the image for larger text.

Well done.

Not that bad? It's excellent! I love the subtle details in it. I never spotted the jar of open pills first time. I was drawn straight to the word "Liar". Which made me want to search the photo more. Then I noticed the pills. And only then did I notice you've done selective colouring. Now, I'm usually not a fan of selective colouring, but it really suits that shot.

Only crit is the poem is quite hard to read. I would make the font bigger. There's loads of room for it to fall into right and lower down.

Overall, well done (y)!

Phewph.. Camera was getting ready to be put in a cupboard never to return there :LOL:

Not at all, I really like the photo :clap: and the treatment you have given it.
Certainly think that the black/white version has much more impact than the colour.

I do think that the poem text could do with being a bit bigger, I struggle to read it and it does draw the eye away from what is a very good image.

Maybe try putting the poem above the picture or below. Generally I prefer to see the poem built into the picture but I am not sure that there is space on the image for larger text.

Well done.

Thank you very much Ian.
I agree on the black and white having more punch than the colour version, creates a more eerie mood I feel.

I agree completely about the text. It was legible at first, but when I resized it to fit the forum regulations, its become to small. Will get that resized in the morning!

Thanks for taking the time to comment. :)

Not that bad? It's excellent! I love the subtle details in it. I never spotted the jar of open pills first time. I was drawn straight to the word "Liar". Which made me want to search the photo more. Then I noticed the pills. And only then did I notice you've done selective colouring. Now, I'm usually not a fan of selective colouring, but it really suits that shot.

Only crit is the poem is quite hard to read. I would make the font bigger. There's loads of room for it to fall into right and lower down.

Overall, well done (y)!

Thanks alot! Thats a really encouraging comment. Think I like it slightly more now :) Though would still like it better obviously.

Yeah the 'Liar' focal point was what inspired me to try out the selective colouring. I started with just that in red, and expanded to include the similar coloured roses. Feel it all ties in very well.

Again, yes the text has come out far to small, it was when I resized the image, the text has turned tiny. I will adjust this in the morning to make it legible once more.

Thank you once again for your comments!

Ok had a play this morning. Took out the flame from behind the rose. This look good or bad?
Also increased the text size, but it still looks to small.
Any ideas how I should lay this out? I mean there is plenty of room to the right for text, but how would I set a poem out to take advantage of this?:thinking::thinking:

Any ideas?

EDIT: In fact that is showing up not to bad now. That legible enough for everyone?

Last edited:
Geeee WIZ Rikki! You sure have gone all out for this weeks challenge! I really like the moodyness of it! You can see some serious effort has gone into this shot and gives it an intriguing and detailed backstory rather than simply still life.

Stunning Dude.

Great shot and looks like you've put some effort in too. My only criticism would be to have a little more light on the roses, but otherwise great (y)

Yeah, spent a wee bit of time putting it together :p
Hm you might be right, will possibly try bring them out a bit and see what it looks like.
Thanks for the feedback Mark.

Geeee WIZ Rikki! You sure have gone all out for this weeks challenge! I really like the moodyness of it! You can see some serious effort has gone into this shot and gives it an intriguing and detailed backstory rather than simply still life.

Stunning Dude.

Cheers Matt, glad you like it.
Yeah I had the story and the mood planned out in my head from the start, was just trying to capture it right that was tricky. I also like how there is a story going on in the picture, draws interest.
Thanks again for taking the time to comment (y)

Back