52 - kejago: Update with week 4 - Street

Name
Kev
Edit My Images
Yes
I am trying to push myself to learn new techniques and try to get away from "snapshots". Be warned, I may fail spectacularly. When I do, please let me know what works for you, and what does not. It is through criticism, feedback, pointers and ideas that I can develop. Don't pull the punches... let me have it!! (y)

Week 1 - Curves
Week 2 - Poetry
Week 3 - Chopped
Week 4 - Street

Last edited:
Week 1 - Curves
p213818163-4.jpg

Not very happy with this... I'll see if I can come up with something better before the end of the weekend.

Last edited:
That is one funky door knocker there it oozes character and is well captured. I also like treemans crop, not something I would have on my door, too creepy :)

It's an interesting knocker indeed. Shame about the flash as the reflection somewhat detracts from the image.

Amazing knocker, with plenty of curves, agree on the flash though.

It's an interesting knocker indeed. Shame about the flash as the reflection somewhat detracts from the image.

No flash used... just the highlights ont he polished wood.

Going to have to go try and get a better pic of that thing... it is on the door of a fashion store (high end) in the old town of Geneva.

Sorry. Assumed it had fired from the exif.

Not very happy with this... I'll see if I can come up with something better before the end of the weekend.

:shrug: I happen to quite like it Kev.
It's a fascinating piece of carving - very creepy. I'd absolutely love to have something like that on my door (if I had the type of door that would suit it)

I agree with the comments on the flash. It's a shame, because the carving was so well suited to the theme, but it doesn't detract from it too much.
I still think it's a very good start to the 52 and I'm looking forward to seeing the next 51!

I like it very much, and I don't mind the flash - it makes it very dramatic, a bit like a demon king in a panto.. (y)

The Grave by Robert Blair

While some affect the sun, and some the shade,
Some flee the city, some the hermitage;
Their aims as various, as the roads they take
In journeying through life;—the task be mine,
To paint the gloomy horrors of the tomb;
The appointed place of rendezvous, where all
These travellers meet.—Thy succours I implore,
Eternal king! whose potent arm sustains
The keys of Hell and Death.—The Grave, dread thing!

(And it goes on for another 800 lines or so!!)

p371433148-4.jpg

Ironically, this is the grave of Jorge Luis Borges who also wrote some poetry. I was trying to go for an eerie ghostly feel. I hope that comes accross...

Hi kejago :)

Once I get past the direct flash, I keep looking at the face on the knocker in your week 1 pic. I think it reminds me of one of those fortune-telling dummies you used to get in booths in fairgrounds. Didn't Derren Brown use one in an episode? You know the kind of thing I mean? Creepy! :)

I think you achieved your ghostly goal in your second pic, it's almost one of those infrared images isn't it? It goes with the poem well, but it just doesn't stir me really. I think it might be a combination of not being able to see much detail in the headstone, and the busy footprints around the grave.

Please keep at it though, I look forward to seeing more! :)

Hi kejago :)

Once I get past the direct flash, I keep looking at the face on the knocker in your week 1 pic. I think it reminds me of one of those fortune-telling dummies you used to get in booths in fairgrounds. Didn't Derren Brown use one in an episode? You know the kind of thing I mean? Creepy! :)

Don't know about the TV bit... I am in Geneva, Switzerland. :) But here is the complete door, taken at night... just to give you an idea what it looks like:

p116496651-3.jpg

I think you achieved your ghostly goal in your second pic, it's almost one of those infrared images isn't it? It goes with the poem well, but it just doesn't stir me really. I think it might be a combination of not being able to see much detail in the headstone, and the busy footprints around the grave.

Please keep at it though, I look forward to seeing more! :)

The infrared like quality is what I like about the pic. I got that by dropping the clarity in lightroom. There is not much detail in the headstone to begin with... and honestly, I struggle a bit. I had about half an hour during my lunch break to take a walk and get a pic for this weeks challenge... I got my ISO setting wrong on my camera, so that did not help. Argh. Nothing I can do about the footprints either... it is a popular lace to visit this cemetery. John Calvin is the the next grave along, and a popular tourist attraction.

A very good poem and the image fits it well. I like what you've done with it. It would be improved with pristine snow, but nothing you could do about that

Ironically, this is the grave of Jorge Luis Borges who also wrote some poetry. I was trying to go for an eerie ghostly feel. I hope that comes accross...

:clap: Yes. You definitely got the feel that you wanted!
This is my type of shot Kev. I really, really like it. I get the feeling from the first 2 weeks that you like these slightly eerie / creepy type images so I think I'm going to enjoy this thread very much.

I love gravestone / snow shots. For some reason those two elements just complement one another perfectly.
Lovely composition with the trees in the background and IMO it would be perfect if there was just a bit more sharpness / contrast in the headstone.
Nothing to do with your shot, I think the headstone is just worn but it's a shame that it's not a bit clearer.

here is the complete door, taken at night... just to give you an idea what it looks like:

Thank you for sharing that. It's a very interesting piece of carving - I hope it features again somewhere in your 52.

I really like your processing on both shots. The grave is excellent, and does achieve (for me) that ethereal feel.

For me - "Curved" is a little dark, but I personally actually like that. It adds to the foreboding.

Poetry is a corker. I love wandering round churchyards with my camera. So much detail in some of the headstones and sometimes so much love in the words inscribed there.

Ian.

Thanks treeman, you are just being nice! :LOL: I really do want to redo this shot at some point, with the actual wood I chopped / split with the axe... but it did not happen yesterday like I planned.

Oh, the time constraints of a hectic 52! How we ever going to do a 365? Or is that easier because we do not have a theme to work to? :thinking:

Kev, it works for me... good DOF and lovely colours.

I love street photography, but have so much to learn. I wanted to try a night shot... but struggled a bit. I have 2 versions here of almost the same picture... one in colour, one in black and white. At the moment, my leaning is to the b&w. I am not sure which is the better picture, or why. I guess it just boils down to personal preference.

p832789255-4.jpg

p1056882582-4.jpg

I like the mono conversion of the first one, but I find the second a much nicer picture.
It should be boring, but the lack of modern visuals gives it a timeless feel.
In my opinion, if the cyclist had still been riding and the bicycle on the corner was gone (can you clone it out?) it would be excellent.
I find myself wondering what the man's looking at through the doorway, and I love the cast of the light onto the street! :)

Prefer the first as it fills the frame tighter with the subject, and the mono really works for me!! (y)

B&W for me and all the better with the crop removing the bike which draws the eye away, nice shadow from the shop doorway
would have liked to have seen a shadow from the man onto the pavement was the man a tramp? nice feel to the picture :clap:

i'll be different :) I like the composition of the first but the colour of the second.. would usually go for mono.. think it gives a bit of warmth, also like the feel to both shots

Much prefer number 1. Not sure in 2 what I'm supposed to be looking at, I keep getting drawn to the cyclist which takes away some of the impact number 1 has.

I'm inclined to agree with bigsteve. The B&W in the first shot works well from a processing point of view. However the pose of the gent in the second pic with him seeming to query what's going on inside the open door is more interesting.

Maybe a portrait type crop getting rid of both bikes and a b&w conversion on the 2nd shot might work better. All it needs then is a creative title like "Orgy and night" to suggest what's going on in the building is enough to grab his attention - and by default, it then grabs yours.

Good effort, and well done for getting out and shooting it in the first place!

Ian.

I like the mono conversion of the first one, but I find the second a much nicer picture.
It should be boring, but the lack of modern visuals gives it a timeless feel.
In my opinion, if the cyclist had still been riding and the bicycle on the corner was gone (can you clone it out?) it would be excellent.
I find myself wondering what the man's looking at through the doorway, and I love the cast of the light onto the street! :)

I really have to agree with this. The black and white one gives it a nostaligic feel.

I'm inclined to agree with bigsteve. The B&W in the first shot works well from a processing point of view. However the pose of the gent in the second pic with him seeming to query what's going on inside the open door is more interesting.

Maybe a portrait type crop getting rid of both bikes and a b&w conversion on the 2nd shot might work better. All it needs then is a creative title like "Orgy and night" to suggest what's going on in the building is enough to grab his attention - and by default, it then grabs yours.

Good effort, and well done for getting out and shooting it in the first place!

Ian.

That is pretty much exactly what i was thinking. Id try that crop though and give it a shot in B+W and also in colour, see which looks best. The colour in the second image is quite nice, don't be too fast to get rid :D

Back