Snow in the Evening in East Grinstead

Name
Rob
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I am sure that everyone is getting sick of snowy landscapes now but here are a few from the best of my shoot the other night.

I met up with a mate of mine and went to East Court in East Grinstead, and these were taken between 2030 and 2300 on the 8th of Jan.

As always C&C is very welcome, esp as I don't do much landscape stuff so pointers would be handy.

Rest of the set can be found here.

Thanks in advance,
Rob

1)
4263344891_10a6183084.jpg

2)
4264130414_6576ce10a0.jpg

3)
4264179758_6943f096c6.jpg

4)
4264157774_38fc825b3f.jpg

5)
4264143026_f796be147f.jpg

6)
4264136846_5d2ec82e8b.jpg

1 and 5 are brilliant, maybe with 5 edging the best. Great photos.

Number one is simply fantastic, the colours, contrasts and levels are fantastic.

The others are nice, but Number one is top end style work!

Thanks peeps!

I had great fun doing these,it was my first night time landscape shoot.

Cracking shots!!! I like the sky in all of them, very serene!

Thanks Andy, I am pleased you like them.

I was unsure on them at first, but as others seem to like themn I am happier with them now!

Throughout the whole shoot I didn't drop below a 20s exposure time.

The first one is the pick of the bunch - maybe a touch too much sky but still good. The others show some thought in the composition but are not strong images.
Second one all a bit too central and has some random light painting that looks like it shouldn't be there.
Third is nicely exposed but what is the subject? trees with the tops chopped off?
4 has some great leading lines taking you to a subject that can't be the subject as it is nearly out of frame.
5 is better but too tight. The top of the tree is clipped and not enough foreground. Like the leading diagonal and tree on a third.
6 is a blocked view and some more random light painting.

Fantastic Captures I really Like No.1 No.3 No.4 No.5 And No.6 Very Sharp And Crisp And Great Colours Very Well Done

Kirk

Thanks for your comments Chaps, I appreciate you taking the time. (y)

The first one is the pick of the bunch - maybe a touch too much sky but still good. The others show some thought in the composition but are not strong images.
Second one all a bit too central and has some random light painting that looks like it shouldn't be there.
Third is nicely exposed but what is the subject? trees with the tops chopped off?
4 has some great leading lines taking you to a subject that can't be the subject as it is nearly out of frame.
5 is better but too tight. The top of the tree is clipped and not enough foreground. Like the leading diagonal and tree on a third.
6 is a blocked view and some more random light painting.

The random light painting is walkers with torches. Not much I could do once the exposer had started, but I quite likes the effect. I appreciate that it doesn't make for a great shot though.

The third's subject was the way that the light is casting on the smaller tree, bench and across the ground. That was what I was going for anyway! I probably should have put my kit 18-55 on to get the top of the larger trees but its not as nice a lens as my prime 50mm and I struggled framing the scene and getting the tops of the trees.

Fantastic Captures I really Like No.1 No.3 No.4 No.5 And No.6 Very Sharp And Crisp And Great Colours Very Well Done

Kirk

Thanks Kirk, glad you like them.

Last edited:
I'm no expert, so take this with a fist of salt....

1. Great shot, love the erie glow
2. Light streaks ruin it as they are just distracting.
3. I find the bright patch to the left distracting and the trees are cut off but the light overall is pretty darn good
4. Great lead line spoilt by chopping the square section of the wall off and needs some extra material to the left.
5. A close second to #1. Wall is too far out of shot and the tree only just fits in frame.
6. Again the light distracts the eye from the image.

Back