Do I want to buy a printer

Name
Lee
Edit My Images
Yes
Toying with the idea of buying a new printer mainly for photos. I only want to spend around £100ish so I obviously don't expect top photolab quality, but it would be nice if I can get near the sort of quality you get from tescos.

Any suggestions or am I being unrealistic, any views, comments or insults greatly appreciated.

I have an Epson R265 which I have owned for about 3 years. It has 6 seperate ink cartridges and poduces some great results. It will do full page prints up to A4.

I think most modern photo printers give good results, although I would steer clear of the all in one printers and make sure you use decent paper, that can make a big difference.

+1 to the correct paper
canon for canon, epson for epson where possible.

however, I think that if you search for recent threads on here there are LOADS of posts about home printing
the general advice is canon pixma.
I still rate mine and it's years old now.
pixma still come out on top for me for price, performance, running costs and reliability

I think most modern photo printers give good results, although I would steer clear of the all in one printers

I have an Epson Stylus Photo RX640 (all in one), and it produces great results.

This model has the 6 separate inks, so is probably more suited to printing photographs.

Agree about using Epson paper for Epson printers for the best results.

get the canon pixma ip4700, not only is it less than your budget but the photos will be much better than tesco quality. I printed an a4 shot the other day that was better than anything I have ever had developed.

-1 for canon for canon paper though. I got permajet oyster paper and it's great, it matters less on the make than it does on the weight of the paper. canon ink for canon though

The Canon IP range 45 / 46 / 4700 range of printers are very good and give great results, stick with genuine inks and good quality paper in my opinion. (y)

I've always used epson printers in the past, but tried a canon pixma ip 4700 last year and love it, seems so much faster and quieter than my last epson.

My current Photosmart 3300 all in one (3 years old but towards the top end of HP's all in ones at the time) has reasonably good output on decent paper but it's nothing out of this world, certainly nothing close to a good lab print - I've not used Tesco's so I can't comment on how good their prints are.

Also, from personal experience, I've never found the U shaped paper feed on the HP Consumer kit to be all that reliable. I had a Deskjet 5552 and then a Photosmart 3300 (all in one) and both of them had problems feeding from the paper tray underneath the unit after 6-12 months of light-ish use. Others may have had different experiences.

(Never found this to be a problem on their business grade kit though - we've got a laserJet 5 in the office that has had at least a 1000 sheets a month for 5 years without a service and is still pretty solid.)

Hope this helps,
Matt

Anyone had dealings with HP?

I quite fancy the look of this reading the review

http://www.trustedreviews.com/print...t-Plus-B209a---Wireless-All-in-One-Printer/p1

Hi,

I have a HP D7260 printer which I have linked upto my router(via ethernet cable) for wireless printing around the house. I use it mainly for snapshot photo's with the 6x4 photo tray and the occasional A4 print with Kirkland Professional glossy paper and the results are nice...some of the darker colours look a little muddy but overall it's a great printer that has given me no problems since owning it and using a CISS system on it(Google this for more info) so I'd recommend it highly if you want reliable printing. Even using genuine carts makes it cheap printer to run compared to some of the other printers out there.

Another printer which seems to crop up a lot is the Epson P50. I have no experiance in using one, nor have I seen the print quality from one but recent reviews look promising.

Mike.

If you're getting a relatively cheap printer maybe it'll be a good idea to check the price of ink before buying. My sister bought a cheapo printer from a supermarket and the prints look great but the cost of replacement ink cartridges is horrendous. Sorry but I can't remember what make it is.

If you're getting a relatively cheap printer maybe it'll be a good idea to check the price of ink before buying. My sister bought a cheapo printer from a supermarket and the prints look great but the cost of replacement ink cartridges is horrendous. Sorry but I can't remember what make it is.

That will be a lexmark then !!!!

also new printers tend to have "ink starter packs" where the cartridges arent full capacity. so get some spare ink while your buying the printer (y)

I'd stick with Tesco, or look at dscl for larger/better prints. Quality-wise it would be better - and cheaper unless you print loads. Ink and paper will be the major costs.

no chance. Your pixma 4700 will be much better quality than tesco, I have one and can see it clearly in my prints

http://www.dscolourlabs.co.uk/

The are really good and affordable, just watch out for delivery rates.

Canon Pixma Pro9000 might be worth a try if you want to print yourself. The cheap stuff just isn't up to the job. It caters for cell phone shooters and PS crowd mostly, or just for printing normal text (I'd buy laser for that any day)/

My first printer was a lexmark. It was horrendously noisy with windows driver software that kept crashing and was also chronically prone to paper jams.

My subsequent printers have all been Hewlett Packards. They are much quieter, paper jams occur once or twice a year (on a bad year) and I've never had any problems with software drivers crashing.

Having said all that, my next printer will almost certainly be a Canon Pixma IP4700.

Just posted the same reply in another thread, but in case you do not see it:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just ordered a Pixma ip 4600 for £70 delivered, from Amazon
Tried the 4500 this Christmas at the parent's in law, loved it and thought I get me one.

You can have a 3rd party 5-pack of ink (including the chip) for £7.99 delivered so should not cost too much to run either.

Back