Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
I was dancing on the moon one day...
with my 1300mm mirror lens ...
And this time I finished the job

Skymax 102, QHY5v (Camera), HEQ5 controlled by a game pad

Using a 2x Barlow (TC), I shot 93 panes of 350 frames each, stacked each avi in Registax, took the combined image to iMerge, made a mosaic, and finished in GIMP. The lines appear to be related to the gain of the camera, it was misty, so I had to increase the gain, and the lines got worse... I'm not sure what can be done about them... perhaps shooting darks and flats will help :thinking:

Click for big...

And a couple of craters...

Clavius
clavius.jpg

Copernicus
Copernicus-1.jpg

Gassendi (diameter 110Km) - I tried an experiment, this is using a 5x barlow (TC) for a focal length of 6500mm (with crop factor that makes it an equiv fl of 55250mm) :nuts::nuts:
gassendix5.jpg

Hope you like them.

Last edited:
Wow, very impressive. I would love to know how many miles across that crater is in the last shot. I'm sure it's probably impossible to tell.

Impressive. Have you had it printed?

Last edited:
Wow, very impressive. I would love to know how many miles across that crater is in the last shot. I'm sure it's probably impossible to tell.

Thanks, it's about 65 miles across.

Impressive. Have you had it printed?

Thanks Mark... It took me all day yesterday to process the 93 avi's into the single frames and to mosaic it... not had a chance to print it yet.

John, that is one seriously impressive project you set yourself. and boy was the effort worth it. an absolute cracker! (y)

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Very nice John, I need to get back out with the scope, just not getting the time of late, been on night shift most of this year so far :bang:

Very nice, i like the bottm left hand corner of the first shot, the shadow looks so good....

Thanks very much everyone.

Andrew, that's the joys of Astrophotography... it all takes a lot of time and work and frustration.

That's a shame Stuart, hope you get a chance with it soon. Mars is at it's best for a while tonight... I'm hoping to have a bash at silly focal lengths over the weekend... Be good if I could get it at 6500mm..

Glad you kept at it - that is fabulous ! Full size is :eek::clap:

Thanks very much everyone :D

Back