another lens question

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
since Christmas i have upgraded my camera and bought my first L lens (70-200) This has left me with no 'walkaround' lens. A friend loaned me his Canon 24-70 L f2.8 and I loved it so much that I want one! I can't afford to go out and buy one at the moment so i looked at Sigmas 24-70 f2.8 which is a fraction of the cost. I got to borrow one and had a go and whilst it was ok it didn't seem a sharp as my 70-200. my options are :-
buy the Sigma and be happy that it's a nice affordable lens-although I didn't get to test one in low light as I did the Canon?
buy a 28-105 non L as a walk about lens and live on bread and water until i can afford the lens I really want?

Well, I had both 28-105 3.5-4.5 and Sigma (only for a day before returning it). Guess which one was sharper all the way to f/8, and had better colours and contrast? - 28-105mm. The Sigma was THAT bad, total waste of time. 28-105mm is best at 105mm. It looks pretty good, but at 28mm that is not wide enough for most things it was dreadful: lots of CA, terrible distortion, and a bit soft.

Perhaps look at Tamron 17-50 f/2.8; 28-75 f/2.8 or Tokina 28-70 f/2.8 (not SV version). Canon 24-85mm is also meant to be a bit better.

If you liked the 24-70 F2.8 L that much - best advice is to save up and buy that lens, in my experience, buying something else thats nearly the same often results in you buying the original item you were after - If it was me (and I'm doing this for a new lens) save the pennies until you can afford to buy the 24-70, you'll be so much happier (y)

Thanks for the replys

If you liked the 24-70 F2.8 L that much - best advice is to save up and buy that lens, in my experience, buying something else thats nearly the same often results in you buying the original item you were after - If it was me (and I'm doing this for a new lens) save the pennies until you can afford to buy the 24-70, you'll be so much happier (y)

This was my thoughts - would I always be wishing I had waited! When I borrowed the Canon 24-70 I shot in low light at 2.8 with bright lights behind the subject and was very impressed
eg

4042814973_18dc77f688.jpg

I use the Sigma 24-70mm and do find it soft at full aperture, the shot below was at 2.8 and 500th sec.

4330085094_5b9dda4443.jpg

sbowler how do you find it in low light?
Anybody used the Sigma and the Canon for longer than an hour or so - Is the Canon L really £600 better????
Thanks

Well the shot above was in dull winter light, shot at 400 ISO taken on the K20d which isnt too bad with low light and noise, havent really done amy shooting with gloomy or night shots so cant comment. May be doing some night shooting to day will keep you posted.

Back