Shutter Sounds

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
No
What is the best shutter sound on either digital or analogue cameras?? Over the years what has been the most significant in camera history?

Never thought about this to be honest, quieter the better in some places but I love it when I ring off 6.5fps. :D I dont like the Canon 1000D shutter sound but love the 40D.

Mirror slap cant be helped other than that why would you want a sound, surely you know when youve pressed the release button so who are you telling, every frustrated person around you that its damn annoying, LOL, so none for me, dont want to frighten the birdys away

I spent a good number of years in Hong Kong and had a similar conversation with a friend over there, the first story I was told about the small Digi cams was there had to be a shutter sound as there were so many pervs trying to sneak upskirts on the MTR (tube)...

I nearly fell off my chair laughing :)

Personally I like the sound - now whenever I use my little camera it feels weird having no sound. Not to mention, the sound of the 450D is, well, awesome. To quote a member on here, it's akin to the sound of a mouse being slapped!

lol when I first used my D300 I thought the mirror-slap-shutter-sound was cool. How I've learned since. I wish it was silent. I tell you now that in quiet surroundings it sounds like two washboards being smacked together.

So...silence would be my preference too.

you lot want to go out and get rangefinders ;)

When I brought my first DLSR I went to jessops to look. It was between the D50 and the 350d at the time. I asked the sales assistant which she thought was better. Her answer was the D50 cause it sounds better. You know what it did as well.

My EOS 3 has a great solid sound when that fires off!!!

Didn't pay much attention to it prior to upgrading from the D300 to the D700. The sound is lovely, but a little too noisy IMHO for chruch weddings lol.

The first thing I did when I bought my latest camera was to switch off the shutter sound. Apart from anything else, it consumes power unecessarily.

I guess the whole point off having a shutter noise was to help in the transfer over from analogue to digital, it's the reassurance of something familiar. It's a little like the old electric fires, that had a flame effect- had no real use, other than to keep people happy.

It also reminds me about a story I heard, when Mazda were developing the first MX5 ( Miata), they engineered the sound of the exhaust so it sounded like an old 1960's British sports car.

Cunning stuff.

BEST shutter sound? Rangefinders are very often whisper quiet (OK, som of the older Russian ones may not be quiet as quiet as they once were!) - just the gentle swish as the shutter curtains slide through. The clatter from some SLRs is almost enough to wake the dead, especially some of the MF ones with IIRC the Pentax 645 sounding like a Lada door slamming and the window falling off its rails! Some compacts are silent when the take the picture but since they tend to be electronically controlled rather than having proper shutters, they don't really count. I rather like the sound of my F80 firing - the mirror going up, the shutter blades (and aperture) doing their thing, the mirror coming back down and the motor winding to the next frame.

Best shutter sounds?
Well my list
Canon EOS1n RS when going at 10 fps, no mirror slap all shutter sounds very different.
Nikon F4s just sounds so nice
Leica R5 has a really nice well made sort of sound
Contax IIIa & Fuji 690, RF cameras
Olympus E3 so quite so well made :D

My Bronica ETRSi has a nice satisfying ker-chunk when i take a frame...beeeeeautiful

Of course, the mkIII has a machine-gun sound at 10fps! That's quite nice, the ladies love it.

Most of the noise on mine is the mirror, the shutter itself is very quiet. If you try the mirror lock up function and set the shutter speed to a few seconds you can hear it. The first press will lock the mirror up, the 2nd click is the shutter then the mirror will go down with a thud after the number of seconds you set. I think most of you are hearing the mirror go up and then go down. :)

silky smooth hardly audible...

... The clatter from some SLRs is almost enough to wake the dead, especially some of the MF ones with IIRC the Pentax 645 sounding like a Lada door slamming and the window falling off its rails...

:D

Brilliant!!

my 5dII is the sexiest I've known

my Salyut is the most aggressive, more aggressive than a 1d3 in machine gun mode :D

The first thing I did when I bought my latest camera was to switch off the shutter sound. Apart from anything else, it consumes power unecessarily.

I guess the whole point off having a shutter noise was to help in the transfer over from analogue to digital, it's the reassurance of something familiar. It's a little like the old electric fires, that had a flame effect- had no real use, other than to keep people happy.

It also reminds me about a story I heard, when Mazda were developing the first MX5 ( Miata), they engineered the sound of the exhaust so it sounded like an old 1960's British sports car.

Cunning stuff.

Ahh, if we're talking about artificial shutter sounds that PnS, bridge and mobile phone cameras make - I always turn that off. Apart from the fact that it sounds nothing like a shutter/mirror slap sound, it often comes around 0.5 to 1 second after you've pressed the shutter button. On an SLR the 'clack' comes near damn as soon as you hit the button and it lets you know you've taken the shot. Taking a photo on my PnS camera is much less eventful since it's missing the 'click click'!

The best shutter sound has to be medium format, mamiya rz67.

I like the sound of my 5D Mk II, but also quite liked the Nikon D80 and the Canon 40D sounds. I don't like the entry level cameras of Canon too much as their shutter just sounds... off.

Olympus 35mm OM1, OM2 (and maybe OM3 OM4 - haven't listened to them). The Rolls Royce Merlin of the shutter world.

All Nikons I've used sounded great when just out of the box, but over time start to sound a little more harsh - say about 20,000 actuations...about 8 months in...it's a gradual thing...
My D3x sounds lovely still, whereas my D3's sound a lot more 'clattery' as they've been hammered a lot more...

Olympus 35mm OM1, OM2 (and maybe OM3 OM4 - haven't listened to them). The Rolls Royce Merlin of the shutter world.

What? An over-engineered, over-priced aeronautical piece of motor-jewellery?
Rolls-Royce really saw the War Department coming with that one...lol

Service life of a Merlin Engine was something stupid like 50,000 hours...when the average life expectancy of any aircraft it was installed in was approximately 100 hours at the most - talk about false economy - we never did understand the concept of fit for purpose...if it doesn't need to last three years, don't waste money and resources engineering it to...

Much was said about the crappiness of the Jumo jet engines in the ME 262, but at the end of the day it's easy enough to do an engine-change if the aircraft survives long enough...
(although, had they'd had access to the exotic metals earmarked for the V1 and V2 projects, those engines would have been able to run a lot hotter and thus faster...can you tell I went to Peenemunde a couple of years ago...? :LOL:)

What? An over-engineered, over-priced aeronautical piece of motor-jewellery?
Rolls-Royce really saw the War Department coming with that one...lol

Bloody hell Rob! I'm not talking about the history of the damned thing - just the sound of it! :p :LOL:

The Nikon D2h turned heads when it came out with its 8fps. Reports came in that sideline photographer's (mostly Canon users) were shivering, mouths watering with a tent shaped pant hearing its shutter fire off like that. This lead to reports of the D2h outselling the Rampant Rabbit and a decrease in divorce numbers that very year. Although one could debate these findings.

I spent a good number of years in Hong Kong and had a similar conversation with a friend over there, the first story I was told about the small Digi cams was there had to be a shutter sound as there were so many pervs trying to sneak upskirts on the MTR (tube)...

I nearly fell off my chair laughing :)

I have heared that too, albeit with mobile phones, with japanese phones you can't turn the sound off. Not sure if it's true though as the last phones I have had were nokia and Apple.

I love the sound of the Olympus OM-10.

The T90 sounds quite good too...

Back