Lasagne's 52 for 2010 - Week 8 - Mechanical

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
OK, so I've used selective colour (and over-sharpened the wrench by accident).................let the flames begin ;)

4389128759_b7ed9968e7_o.jpg

Last edited:
No flames from me. I like the composition, the subject and the lighting. Nice vignette too.

The spanner does look a little over-sharpened, but you knew that.

All looks good to me :)

Ian.

I didn't actually realise it was selective colour until I read your blurb. I like the idea, very clever. Compositionally I'm not quite sure about the arc that it seems to make as the bottom of the shot feels a bit empty.

I didn't actually realise it was selective colour until I read your blurb. I like the idea, very clever. Compositionally I'm not quite sure about the arc that it seems to make as the bottom of the shot feels a bit empty.

I know what you mean about the selective colour, it isn't obvious at all - I should have kept quiet !

The bottom is a bit empty, but I didn't just want to make the subject central. There's probably a better way to achieve that, but I couldn't think of it.

Thanks for commenting.

Composition is OK Andy but I think it all needs to be a little bigger in the frame. Disappointing that the head of the spanner appears to be blown, really needs some detail there.

You should try getting all your threads merged as well :)

Love the idea, but as you already know chrome is a bit of a bugger to get right. How about a bowl of mixed nuts with the spanner on top maybe? That way you can angle the shiny bits and use natural light to pick out your interesting bits...

Nice shot though (y)

Arthur

like the idea.. nicely processed.. the subtle vignette works well and as others, wouldn't have known you'd used selective colour :)

:p I see what you mean about us having similar ideas this week . . . great minds and all that!

The selective colouring works well - very subtle.
It looks like you had similar problems to me in getting enough light on the nuts without blowing the reflections in the spanner (though I think yours has worked better). I'm wondering whether HDR is the answer, but it's not a technique that I particularly like :shrug:

Back