Primary school photography club - camera rec's?

Name
Laura
Edit My Images
Yes
Posted this in wrong forum I think, apologies for cross posting:

I'm hugely excited to have been given the go ahead to start a camera club in my school and am buying two cameras to get us going. Budget £100-140ish.

I was looking at FujiFilm S1500's. Mainly as they look a bit mor SLRish and might have a bit more kudos with the kids but I don't really know anything about them.

Any other suggestions? I'd like these cameras as I say to hold a bit of lust factor for the children.

Also going to need to source cheap memory and bags.

Thanks in advance!

Oh also... any ideas on how to organise each session also welcomed! Will only have 45 mins twice a week.

digital or film, I reckon if you had space for a darkroom film would be a lot more rewarding for the kids and have a lot of 'different' value. Black and white dev and printing are really easy and it means you can have a few cameras too (£20 for a zenit and 50/2 is a good ball park)

just a thought

edit I read that as 100-400 ish so it might be a fair squeeze if you had to buy stuff, though a donated enlarger would make it work

I very much doubt primary school children would be allowed near any chemicals

Do you think they will be OK with the size, ages will be between 5-11, the older children will be OK but if it's the younger ones they might find them a bit big

do the cameras have to be new, have you thought about some of the older Canon G range.

if there's going to be a lot of kids to get them interested you may be better off buying more low spec cameras so they can at least all have a go rather than just have 2 then buy something more advanced when they're more interested

a lot of cameras have manual settings on them now

Thanks both. Sadly, darkroom is not currently an option. I wish!

I'm thinking of my Year 5 pupils in first instance so size should be ok. My class are very excited.

Will check out Canon G series. Lots of them want to bring own cameras which is great so don't need copious stock. Just wondered if nice to give something a bit more exciting (although still essential P&S)?

Thanks, any suggestions?

I can't think of any specific titles at the moment, but it may be famous works of known artists (photo and painting), or books on composition and technique, etc. You really need to check your local library and bookshop.

dont forget the places to take them as they will soon get fed-up around the school grounds

some indoor work is fine - still-life close-ups, even shots of each other doing same

but outside is the challenge -due to the **** H&S zoombies you may have to engage the help of several adult minders

Thanks all.

We are fortunate that our site is huge with lots of greenery. We're also connected to library next door so will speak to them.

The children are brimming with all sorts of fantastic ideas so am going to kick off led by them. I've just returned to teaching from maternity leave so this is giving me something fresh to focus on!

Back