How to knacker a lens in one easy lesson.

Hacker

TPer Emeritus
Name
Colin
Edit My Images
Yes
It's my youngest son's birthday tomorrow so as part of his 'treat' we took him to Thorpe Park today. One of the rides was water slide with a big splash at the end of it which I thought might make for some pictures. I watched a few come down and picked a spot about 15 yards from the Splash Zone where you are almost guaranteed to get wet and I also made sure I was behind a building on legs which the boat thing goes underneath once it has slowed down. The area was completely dry and not a drop of water had landed there in the few minutes I'd been watching.

The next boat was fully loaded but I didn't think much of it.

Here it comes making it's big splash...

Thorpe-Park049.jpg

Thorpe-Park051.jpg

Thorpe-Park055.jpg

At this point I started thinking "This is creating a much bigger splash than the rest....."

Thorpe-Park056.jpg

"OH ****!"

Thorpe-Park057.jpg

Before I could move this tsunami broke over me, not just from the front as you can see but it also came over the top of the building and I was caught right in the middle of this deluge. Not only was I drenched right through :bang: but the camera caught a lot of it. The D200 body is fine (at the moment) but my 18-70mm lens has gone tits up, I can see four or five large water drops inside the lens and there is now a load of condensation as well. A couple of drops have dried up but left marks which obviously I cannot get to.

With the admission price, food, drinks and now the lens it's been a bloody expensive day out. And I've got a wedding next week. :shake:

That's nasty , best laid plans and all that. :(

Impressed that you kept the shutter firing right till the end though. Real class. ;)

Blimey that's dramatic H :eek: - Surely the lens can be repaired? Cheaper than replacing it methinks - Did you sign up to the Nikon Pro that came round recently? There's a free phone helpline iirc ... Paul ;)

Just a little bit of info for you here, that ain't ordinary water!

Think of it as swimming pool water, full of extra stuff like chlorine. So as the water dries out you will be left with some nice, corrosive, salts to knacker your kit :bang: I'd get the camera checked out too :(

Now thats a new line of photo journalism. Sorry to hear about the lens, like people have said check out the repair price or theres always the ebay option :shrug:

I reckon it can probably be repaired. I stripped my Nikkor 18-55 and re-assembled it without much trouble, just needed a couple of instrument screwdrivers and a pen and paper!

Ouch!

Sequence almost makes me want to get out of the way too :)

sorry to hear about that ,but firstley your profile pic creased me and then your latest storie....sorry but smiling

ring sigma, they will clean the lens for you for a small fee(minimum £33)

Excellent set of shots... not worth the refit tho

just testing...

That one seems to have slipped through "the net"..Only just seen it
bad luck on the lens Colin :crying:
But what a pro to keep clicking away in the face of all that water (y)

I missed this too, reminds me of a rabbit in the headlights scenario were you don't know if you should stay or run...

Love the images though, shame about the lens.

(y)

I'll trade you a new lens for that old D3 body you don't seem to use much;)

On a lighter note that log-flume is actually amasing. It's like a wall of water all around you when your sitting in it :D

Shame about the kit though :(

I bet it didn't look so big through the viewfinder

They have the same ride in seaworld in florida, except there you can pay 25c to squirt the ones that don't get wet with water cannons from a bridge, cost me a bloody fortune :D

I almost killed my 50mm at a sherwood rally from all the stone spray! was well worth risking it for the shots I got though.

Cracking set of pictures Colin! Pity you didn't get a shot of it at the end of the rails. :D :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Sorry about the lens mate. Hope all turns out ok for you.;)

Sorry about your lens! But the pictures look great!

Hope your son had a nice day.

MM:)

I missed this too, reminds me of a rabbit in the headlights scenario were you don't know if you should stay or run...

Love the images though, shame about the lens.

(y)

Whispers ... Thats because it happened a year ago, don't tell anyone but you've just suckered loads of members...

giggles

You aint seen me right.....
:cautious:

This should be in the How far would you go to get a photo thread ... :cautious:

Bad do's Colin but great set of images ... :D

Didn't anyone manage to get a photo of you in the midst of the action then ... :shrug:

:p

With the admission price, food, drinks and now the lens it's been a bloody expensive day out. And I've got a wedding next week. :shake:

Sorry, and I don't mean this horribly at all, but when I read this I've never laughed so hard in my life!!! :LOL: Don't know why, but it really tickled me! Again, sorry....

Oops! I like the commentary, gives a good idea of what you must've been feeling during those few seconds, thanks for posting and hope the lens recovers!

:-o

Standing right there, I gave my girlfriend my camera while I went to the loo.

She turned round and took the force of the splash on her back, and my camera was bone dry.

If I'd had it myself, I'd have been shooting until the end... and my Pentax would have gone the same way as your 18-70!

You must be gutted:(

Good pictures before it happened though.:D

If the water got in then surely it can get out. Have you tried placing the lens in an airing cupboard and letting the water evaporate away? I would be surprised if it is terminal!

Lens drowning will be forever known as the Hacker Knacker!

or

Damn, I've Hackered my lens!

Is it worth getting Nikon to look at it for you?

I bet it didn't look so big through the viewfinder

They have the same ride in seaworld in florida, except there you can pay 25c to squirt the ones that don't get wet with water cannons from a bridge, cost me a bloody fortune :D

They wouldn't make any money at Thorpe Park... That ride is evil, just as you think the water missed you they empty an olympic swimming pool on your head... No one/part of your body is safe.:wacky::LOL:

Shame about the lens though, but from the sounds of it it may not be tooo much to repair.:)

Back