HDEW CAMERAS anyone used them?

Edit My Images
Yes
Last edited:
Thread here with a little bit of info. http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=146480 From elsewhere they seem to be an EBay seller with reasonable feedback, the stuff they sell comes from HK. Google has a few references to people trying to find out about them but no one who's actually bought anything.

I have just bought a Sigma 10-20 from them for £275. Arrived this morning, ordered on Wedensday last week. Looks all fine and shiney and new. It has a warranty card etc but since they go for £300 second hand, it was worth a dable.

I shall try it out later, if the rain stops, it's bloody miserable!

According to their website, their prices include UK VAT, which suggests they supply from here, but they DO look cheap....

I wonder what the catch is?

My lens was packaged and sent Royal Mail from Surrey with a VAT Reciept.

just been having a look on their website after d700 with 24-70 price of 2499 so have emailed and asked about there stock import or uk.They do say you can pick up from surrey, will let you know what they come back with.But at there prices i think i know the answer.

Just got e-mail back here is what they have to say

it makes me laugh when people go on about so called grey imports , as no camera compeny to the best of my knowledge manufacture in the uk, all cameras are imports , it is just that canon and nikon stick a uk warranty with it and now it isnt an import, CON!!
Our cameras come from the canon and nikon in the far east so they are uk spec cameras the only differnce is if the camera goes faulty we have to have it back and we get canon or nikon to repair it.

regards
Steve
HDEW

I take it they are imports then.

It makes me laugh when so-called camera and lens suppliers don't understand what a grey import actually is.

I got a quote on a 7D last month from kerso at around the same price... I'd give him a try.

Kerso is a known seller who delivers the goods every time, you get a vat receipt and Canon (for example) have no problems honouring their guarantee on his products.

Whether the market is grey or pink or blue what does it matter as long as you get what you want and the taxman gets his cut?

Our cameras come from the canon and nikon in the far east so they are uk spec cameras the only differnce is if the camera goes faulty we have to have it back and we get canon or nikon to repair it

So they source their stock from the far east rather than using official UK distributors.
Obviously they don't undertand the term 'grey import'.
By the sounds of it if the kit goes wrong, they have to send it back to Canon via the country they sourced it from.
With Kerso, you get a UK receipt and it's been proven that Canon UK will carry out any warranty work.
I have no problem with grey imports but I wouldn't touch them if it means the kit has to go back to another country for repair.

Last edited:
Can only speak as i've found. Good service, their stock maybe 'grey' but the Sigma 10-20 is £100 less than Pricebusters target price - I accept I may have been lucky but I can buy a lot of repair for £100. Wouldn't hesitate to use again if the price difference was similar. Would also add this lens often sells for £300+ second hand so why not buy new?

I've been looking at Nikon lenses on Amazon UK who appear to be fulfilling orders supplied via HDEW. Whenever Amazon say they are fulfilling orders via other retailers, they seem to back the product with Amazon rights and guarantees which sound more assuring. However, after reading this thread, I'm wondering if there are any more views on both the store and purchases?

Whether the market is grey or pink or blue what does it matter as long as you get what you want and the taxman gets his cut?

Because when you send your lenses off for repair it doubles the cost in doing so. My 80-200 went off for an auto focus clutch repair the other month. Got a call advising me that the lens is of UK (which I told them on the phone before sending the damn thing) origin and Nikon Canada have to charge $113 an hour to fix it. Canadian equipment is charged at $53 an hour. As it still works I just asked them to send it back. Quoted $390 to fix the thing. Its a risk buying Gray Market for that reason alone. Of course the warranty is up on the lens anyway. I won't mention the cost of refurbishing a couple of D200's.

Last edited:
HDEW, 7D body, ordered Wednesday late afternoon, £8:50 P+P, arrived by 09:20 friday morning, post office, no probs.
Checkout Kerso for the lens,
Jim

Last edited:
i'm contemplating buying a 5dmk2. kerso is £1549 and hdew £1599 with a 3 year warranty,wonder if the extra 50 quid is worth it for 2yrs extra warranty

Who is underwriting the warranty?

A warranty is only as good as the promise backing it up.

Who is underwriting the warranty?

A warranty is only as good as the promise backing it up.

i emailed them and got this answer

It is through a company called xtendcover , we have used for few years and they are excellent

regards
Steve
HDEW

I purchased my 5D2 Grip and 70-200 IS L 2.8 from HDEW with no problems whatsoever. Canon UK have also serviced the lens under warranty (with HDEW receipt) when I thought there were focusing issues, so take from that what you will.

Happy customer here.

I phoned at the weekend regarding a camera they advertised and the guy was upfront about the camera being a grey import. Duty is paid so warranty should be no problem but perhaps you won't get cashback from Canon or be eligible for the likes of the free MB10 grip with a Nikon D700.

The price is certainly cheaper and the 3 year warranty is tempting.

HDEW, I am sure when I was buying my EOS 7D I phone HDEW, and yes they were cheaper, and yes they offer a 3 year warranty. Which is with another company they informed me. My question to them was, as it is a third part warranty company, Who are they and how big is the comapny ?
As the recession has claimed a number of Businesses !

HDEW, I am sure when I was buying my EOS 7D I phone HDEW, and yes they were cheaper, and yes they offer a 3 year warranty. Which is with another company they informed me. My question to them was, as it is a third part warranty company, Who are they and how big is the comapny ?

And did you get an answer?

I would never end buying anything with a "seller warrranty" - Ebay is littered with large sellers no longer trading (anyone remember URGalaxy?)

The only warranty worth anything to me is with Nikon or Canon, Sony - I want to deal with these directly and get the appropriate warranty. I don't want to be sending expensive items back to sellers, getting them repaired by "repair centers" no one has heard of!

It really is false economy. Seller warranty in my book means "Avoid! Avoid! run for the hills!"

Last edited:
Having been a pro for 5 years now I have just looked in to the 'grey import' options. Previously, High St shops have always scared me off but now the truth is out. Apparently even their dealer supply reps tell the retailers that 'grey' warranties are not covered but this is just not true. A quick phone call to Canon UK and now I know that I can happily buy these products and be fully covered by a UK warranty as long as the retailer has a UK address on the invoice.

In addition to this E.U. law actually entitles the buyer to a 2 year warranty anyway.

I have just saved £600 buying a 5d mkII, 70-200mm f2.8 IS L and a couple of other bits from Hdew Cameras.

Even places that London Camera Exchange warned me not to buy from are covered such as Pixmania (actually on Canons supplier list) and many other so called grey import outlets.

When the tax laws change the prices will too so it will be interesting to see how they fare when they have to charge a little more.

I would recommend choosing a shop that helps you if you have a problem and quality service is important if you are a pro so best to find one that has a proper shop or office that can sort issues quickly.

I would like to know of any good outlets that people have found.

I bought my 5D2 and 24-105 f4 L from Hdew and can thoroughly recommend them. Great prices, great comms and fast delivery. The warranty is the shops own, but they use a Canon approved service centre.

....A quick phone call to Canon UK and now I know that I can happily buy these products and be fully covered by a UK warranty as long as the retailer has a UK address on the invoice......

:eek: Holy thread rival - but saying that its a shame that the other ones dont do the same as what Canon do.....

Purchased a 7d with 70-200 2.8 mk2 and a 24-70 as well as a load of accessories. Stuff came when they said it would with a proper receipt and saved me at least £500.

Nothing but good words from me.

I too recently purchased from HDEW. I telephoned them and spoke about the 'grey' import situation, they make no effort to try and hide this and answered my questions about returns and warranty to my satisfaction.

The following facts might be of use to those considering:

The camera body was split from a body & lens kit.

US to UK adaptor was supplied for the battery charger. Everything else in the box is as you might expect (instructions in english etc.)

Invoice provided was from UK address.

Additional 3 year warranty is by xtendcover there is a card supplied in the box with details of how to make a claim. When asked where the camera would be repaired under this warranty the answer was Johnstones, an approved Canon service centre in Glasgow.

So far only great service, nothing bad to report.

Gary

Last edited:
Spencer,

But, do you know if Cannon will accept their (UK) grey imports as part of Canon CPS program, for later servicing ?

Spencer,

But, do you know if Cannon will accept their (UK) grey imports as part of Canon CPS program, for later servicing ?

I would have thought that for later servicing, you'll be paying & Canon will take your money very happily.

They're not going to care where you bought it from when you hand over your cash :D

Bought a 7d from them and 3 L series lenses, plus grip etc etc. Good service each time.

judging by what i've read i'm going to order a 5d body from them this week...and if it goes tits up, i'm blaming you lot :D

I splurged on a 24-105L from them after seeing this thread over the weekend then i received a call yesterday asking if i had placed an order and could i tell them what it was incase someone had lifted my card.

It's not often i'm impressed by a firms security measures but that personal touch really made a good impression on me. Now i just hope the lens arrives as promised tomorrow lol.

Well the lens arrived recorded delivery on the morning they said it would. It came in a white box with the soft bag and lens hood but no documentation so it was probably from camera and lens bundle.

It works perfectly as far as a few test shots can tell. Job's a goodun! (y)

Back