Macro Experiment

MattEg

TPer Emeritus
Name
Matthew Egan
Edit My Images
No
I've ordered some adapter rings so I can stack my 50mm f1.8 & Tamron 90mm Macro.
The technique of stacking lenses increases the magnification
by quite a bit, (in my case its increased by 1.8x (90mm/50=1.8)), and the front
lens is supposed to become a highly corrected lens.

The adapter rings haven't arrived yet, but I wanted to try the technique before they do.
I had a look through the cokin filter attachment rings I have, and I have two
that match the lenses I want to mount together, a 55mm and a 52mm.
These are both 'P' size rings.

Using insulation tape, I've taped these two rings together with the mounting threads facing outward.
I've used insulation tape because it has a bit of elasticity, this elasticity pulls the rings into perfect alignment.

I mounted the Tamron 90mm onto the camera then screwed the rings onto the lens,
I then added the 50mm Canon with it facing camera mount outward.

Now I was quite suprised at the increased magnification when looking down
the veiwfinder, and the detail is superb.
I was trying to get a picture of a small black slugs face, when I noticed a small green mite
crawling over it. When I looked with the naked eye, I couldn't make out the mite, it just looked like a white dot of dust.
Unfortunately I couldn't get a shot of what I was looking at.

Anyway, here is a shot of one of the few flowers we have in the garden.
No Idea what it is.

Medp_C7E8489.jpg

f16 1/200th ISO100
Tamron 90mm, canon 50mm stacked, canon 1.4x TC, 30mm Extension Tube.
Speedlite 580ex

100% crop of centre.
Medp_C7E8489a.jpg

I can't wait for the proper rings to arrive.

Interesting! So let me get this straight, the macro lens is mounted on the body as usual and the 50mm lens is reversed and attached to the front of the macro lens? Just a thought, but could you not Araldite the Cokin attachment rings together to do the same job as the adaptor kit you have bought.

I presume you leave the 50mm wide open?

Yes, that is correct.

I would glue them together, but I still want to be able to use them for the filters.

The lens should be wide open yes.
Set DoF on the lens attached to the body.

Or you could think 'this sounds interesting' and just tape a 50mm 1.4 on to the front of a Sigma 150 macro and take a shot of the first thing that comes to hand... a lens cap.

This is the full frame :D

supermacro.jpg

Thinking about it that text is about 7 millimetres long. the sensor is 22mm wide so that is 3x magnification..... pretty good for no cost!

Does it need to be a Macro to start with ... :thinking: ... or could you stack any two (prime ?) lenses together ... :shrug:

:p

You can stack any two prime lenses.
Longest length first.

Ideally you don't want to go over 4x magnification, so lens 2 needs to be
1/4 the size of the main lens, or larger.

You focus with the lens attached to the body.
The second lens is best left at infinity, but theres nothing stopping the user experimenting to see what they can achieve.

I didn't even try to focus the lens ... just moved the camera until it focussed. It was pretty close to the subject. Next time I find a victim I'll see if changing the focus helps.

Took these this morning

Aphids
Medp_C7E8518.jpg

f9 1/200th ISO100
Tripod mounted, mirror lock up.

Medp_C7E85181.jpg

f16 1/200th ISO100

Spent Aphid skin
Medp_C7E8515.jpg

f16 1/200th ISO100

Got to say this has been a great tip.

I have a reversing ring and have used a 50mm lens backwards for good magnification but the huge problem is you need to preset the aperture in order to get any depth of field at all. That makes for a very dark viewfinder and almost impossible focussing.

This way there may be an awful lot of glass in front of the camera but it is all wide open until you take the shot. With decent light you can actually see what you are doing! The visible depth of field is less than a paper thichkness but that helps as when the shot is taken the aperture closes and improves the DoF each side of what you saw in focus through the viewfinder. The rear element on the 50mm is slightly recessed so seems quite safe in use and a back cap make a easy lens cap between sessions.

I taped the 50mm onto the front of the 150mm macro with black PVC electrical tape. There is no residue now I have removed it after a days use. I will be using this method a lot more now but I won't be buying any filter adaptor rings. Can't see a problem as long as the tape is not left for a long time.

Like Robert I have the 150mm sigma, now just need to get a 50mm lens, Is it the Nikon 1.8 your using Rovert?

P.S Loving those pictures of the Aphids!

Canon 1.4 - but i doubt the make matters. Guess you could use an old manual lens off ebay for a few quid. Old Olympus 1.8's go for £10 or less.

Good excuse to buy a proper 50mm lens anyway :)

I'm now using my old pentax 50mm f2, as it is made of metal.
The canon 50mm f1.8 is all plastic and I don't want to risk damaging the mount.
Any brand will do, just make sure it is firmly attached.

Excuse my ignorance but what exactly is this "adaptor ring" I should be looking for?

I will be using my 150mm sigma macro (72mm) on a 50mm pentax (52mm) or the Nikon 1.8D 50mm which I believe is also (52mm).

Will that work? Please advise what jobby I need to purchase for this to work :)

Colin,
You will need a 52mm(male) - 72mm(female) step up ring and an 72(male)-72(male) coupling ring.
You will be looking at approx. £30 or good quality metal ones.
srb-griturn is who I ordered mine from.

Alternatively, you could use 72mm and 52mm cokin 'p' series lens adapter rings taped together, like I did for the above shots.
These will cost approx. £15
Use the same link as above for these too.

If you ring them direct and tell them what you want to do, they will tell you exactly what you need.

HTH

Colin,
You will need a 52mm(male) - 72mm(female) step up ring and an 72(male)-72(male) coupling ring.
You will be looking at approx. £30 or good quality metal ones.
srb-griturn is who I ordered mine from.

Alternatively, you could use 72mm and 52mm cokin 'p' series lens adapter rings taped together, like I did for the above shots.
These will cost approx. £15
Use the same link as above for these too.

If you ring them direct and tell them what you want to do, they will tell you exactly what you need.

HTH
Thanks Matt,

Is this right then?

Your Shopping Cart

Coupling Rings Coupling Rings
OPTIONS: 72/72 coupling ring

52mm lens fitting stepping rings
OPTIONS: 72mm accessory size

Sub Total: £26.13

Delivery: £2.51

Vat @ 17.5%: £5.01

Total: £33.65

Looks right to me.

The stepping ring fits to the secondary lens, which leaves two 72mm threads for the coupling ring.

Order Complete

Your order has been placed.

Thanks again Matt, I'm going to certainly have some fun with this!!! Much cheaper than extension tubes! :D

Mine are still mounted on the camera while I'm still looking for new subjects, but the weather isn't playing.
All of the jumping spiders are hiding.

Back