Memory Card Size for Canon?

Name
Beth
Edit My Images
No
What is the biggest memory card a Canon EOS 450D can take? And also what type as my Sandisk 2GB sometimes says it is not formatted and won't let me take pictures even though I have formatted it on many occasions. Thanks for your help and comments :)

Are you formatting it 'in camera'?

They deffo take a 16GB card but may take larger

Yes i'm doing the formatting on the camera. I am asking this as I bought a 32GB memory card as I was going on a trip to Costa Rica, and I tested the card at home and it seemed to work fine. However ont he trip it would not let me view the pictures, and i have sent it to a camera shop who have run it through software and not been able to retrieve the pictures. So as you can imagine I am really upset. And the person who sold me the card says maybe my camera couldn't take such a big card :(

It is a possibility that the card is too high a capacity but it's strange that it worked when you first bought it.

What make is it and do other cards work in the camera?

32gb!!! For a 450D?!!! Definately a lesson to be learnt, buy more 4gb's or 8gb's which will work out cheaper and you can go for more relaible brands

Sorry for your loss, that's why I always use a handful of 4 - 8Gb cards as opposed to a single card, I'd rather lose 25% of my images than the lot...

Well I didnt think it was a problem. I was in a hurry to get one and it was quite cheap only like £40 which is good value I thought for a memory card that size. It is a kingston memory card. Ive got a 2GB Sandisk which works moderately well but sometimes says that it isnt formatted with the camera, even though ive formatted it a lot. Its weird

i never understand why people buy huge size cards.

Shooting on a few 4/8gig ones and spreading the chances of a total loss is far more of a better option imo

So, instead of putting all your eggs in one basket you prefer to juggle loads of little baskets all full of eggs.

I've been using CF cards for over 15 years and the only one I've ever had fail was in a PDA. And it was my fault as I pulled it out as it was being writ to. I have, however, lost a CF card that I'd put 'somewhere safe' once it was full. And I've had a friend mortified as she put a card into the camera, hit 'format', and realised 0.00001 seconds later that it wasn't blank, but contained the morning's shots.

With a single, big, card I can shoot all day and the card stays in the camera. The only way I can lose the card is to lose the camera. When I had to use lots of smaller cards I had to worry about which ones were used, which were empty and where I put the full ones (and, in the heat of the moment, I sometimes put them in some strange places).

So, instead of putting all your eggs in one basket you prefer to juggle loads of little baskets all full of eggs.

I've been using CF cards for over 15 years and the only one I've ever had fail was in a PDA. And it was my fault as I pulled it out as it was being writ to. I have, however, lost a CF card that I'd put 'somewhere safe' once it was full. And I've had a friend mortified as she put a card into the camera, hit 'format', and realised 0.00001 seconds later that it wasn't blank, but contained the morning's shots.

With a single, big, card I can shoot all day and the card stays in the camera. The only way I can lose the card is to lose the camera. When I had to use lots of smaller cards I had to worry about which ones were used, which were empty and where I put the full ones (and, in the heat of the moment, I sometimes put them in some strange places).

You're referring to human error, if you can orginise yourself to carry more smaller cards its technically safer.

I think you'll find that most makes have problems with high capacity Kingston cards

You're referring to human error, if you can orginise yourself to carry more smaller cards its technically safer.

Do you mean technically, or mathematically?

Mathematically, the more cards you have, the more likely you are to have a failure. Here's an example...

Suppose the probability of failure of a single card is 0.1 or 10% (way over-estimated to make it more obvious, but the same will hold true for any number).

If you use a single card the chances of not having a failure is 0.9
With two cards it's 0.9 x 0.9 = 0.81
With four cards it's (0.9)^4 = 0.65
With 8 cards it's (0.9)^8 = 0.43 - you're more likely to have a failure than not.

Now I reckon the failure rate, for me, must be lower than 0.0001 because I must have used CF cards over 10,000 times. So the chances of me not having a failure are 99.99%. But if I were to use 8 cards that would drop to 99.92% - still very unlikely, but still 8 times more likely than when using a single card.

If you mean techically, well, technically, the most common way of ruining a card is when inserting it into its interface. That will happen more often with smaller cards. The second most common way of damaging a card is actual physical damage (dropping it, sitting on it). Again, this is much less likely to happen to a card in the camera rather than in a pocket.

Oh, and as for human error - do you know anybody who's not capable of that?

Back