D700 "ERR"

cowasaki

TPer Emeritus
Name
Darren
Edit My Images
Yes
After doing a wedding yesterday I took the memory card out and copied all the images off no problem. Today I stuck the memory card in again and changed lens to the AFS 50mm f1.4G just so that I had a smaller lens in place whilst I had a mess with some options. I took a few shots then it wouldn't take any more. I looked at the display which read "ERR" which was flashing.

I removed all the ancillaries and replaced them with alternatives ie lens, card, battery. The display still says the same and the shutter will not fire.

I am just glad this didn't happen at the wedding and that it is still under warranty. Glad I chose the intelligent option and bought it in the UK from a Nikon professional dealer and I have this membership of Nikon PRO thing.....

Not sure what else I can try!

EDIT: All the menus etc still work as due image preview....

hi darren had this problem with my 350d after swopping lens try cleaning the lens contacts, worked for me ,

Now THIS is strange......

Turned the mode dial from "S" through CL > CH etc etc to MUP and pressed the shutter button. The shutter worked and opened. I turned the camera off and then back on and turned the mode back to "S" at which point it now seems to be firing!!

hi darren had this problem with my 350d after swopping lens try cleaning the lens contacts, worked for me ,

Thanks, seems to be working now with the strange mode change! VERY weird.

Manual says:-

Err (blinks) - Camera malfunction - Release shutter. If error persists or appears frequently, consult Nikon authorised service rep.

Not sure I'd want to wait for it happening again. You could email Nikon UK and see what they say.

Manual says:-

Err (blinks) - Camera malfunction - Release shutter. If error persists or appears frequently, consult Nikon authorised service rep.

Not sure I'd want to wait for it happening again. You could email Nikon UK and see what they say.

I've PMd Stuart at Digital Depot to ask him what he thinks but it is worrying at maybe 10-11K actuations. It has only happened once though so far.

My D300 has never done this, would be happy to straight swap with you so that you have a reliable camera :D

My D300 has never done this, would be happy to straight swap with you so that you have a reliable camera :D

I already have a crop sensor camera but thanks for the offer ;)

Your mirror got stuck in the "up" position. This can happen occasionally, often if your battery is low.

Put the camera into sensor clean mode (the "Rocket Blower" version) and it'll fix it.

Your mirror got stuck in the "up" position. This can happen occasionally, often if your battery is low.

Put the camera into sensor clean mode (the "Rocket Blower" version) and it'll fix it.

Cheers Andy, I found that out accidentally. Does this happen a lot?

Cheers Andy, I found that out accidentally. Does this happen a lot?

Happened to me maybe 5 times since 2005 with various bodies (D70, D100, D200, D300). Don't ever recall a D700 doing it, but its all the same root cause.

Never happened to me with mine but I do tend to keep the battery reasonably well charged rather than letting it drop too far. Thanks though Andy (Puddleduck), I know what to do now if it ever does happen.

just had heart attack d700 err message come up and the shutter sounded sqishy, changed battery would fire once then err message again did it a few times then found this thread and it seems to have worked so thanks puddleduck camera has done less then 10k and it my daughters bday to day, typical.
just to add the 1st battery was low.

just to let people know the battery grip is not working now if i have a battery in the body the grip will still af and shutter button works, so maybe its the grip that caused the problem as my other grip from my d300 works fine on the d700.

Aftermarket grip or MB-D10?

I had the same happen a good year or so ago with my D700 - had a slight panic but did something or other to the camera and it started working again and its been fine ever since

it a meike one graham, just tested it and its not giving out any voltage so thats what caused the problem i think d700 been working like a dream since will get on to link delight see if they will replace it.

I've been reading up on them and there are reports of aftermarket grips causing the camera to shut down mid shot, jamming the mirror up, necessitating a trip back to Nikon.....

I've been reading up on them and there are reports of aftermarket grips causing the camera to shut down mid shot, jamming the mirror up, necessitating a trip back to Nikon.....
well had no problem sorting it put, and i have had my other mieke grip about 2 years with no probs, the other one is nearlly a year old. had a mieke grip on my 2x k100d, k200d, k20d, k7d, gx2o and all my nikons this is the first problem i have had.

I had that happen once, turned out to be dirt in the contacts between the grip and the body. Never had it happen again (touch wood!)

well i used my camera aall day after that with no probs, so thata a relief its not the cam, but shame about the grip, tested it and its not giving the voltage out the carrage is ok, but have contacted link delight to see what they say, i have also noticed they have changed the grip and it now looks 100% identical to the origianl nikon ones.

One thing to check, Scott is that there isn't any dusk or dirt on the contacts between the battery tray and the grip body. I had a problem with genuine MB-D10 not sending power to the D300 and after much head-scratching and swapping of parts it was a quick scoosh with a rocket blower that sorted things out......

Hi graham, just gone over the grip again checked contact pins were ok even took it apart all looks ok, but still no output voltage.

Shame, all it was in mine was a large bit of "dust" that presumably had entered when I was changing the batteries in a strong "breeze" :LOL: up at Knockhill that had settled on one of the contacts.

I know this is an ancient thread, but I wanted to thank puddleduck for this answer. I was having kittens thinking I was going to have to send my D700 into Nikon for repair (which would cost a fortune as it's out of warranty), but this simple answer fixed it. Thank you!! :D

What do you mean by this? I really need help on how to fix this. Thank you!
I have a nikon d700 that is showing the blinking "err" message and the shutter doesn't seem to close unless I turn the camera off.

What do you mean by this? I really need help on how to fix this. Thank you!
I have a nikon d700 that is showing the blinking "err" message and the shutter doesn't seem to close unless I turn the camera off.

I don't have a D700 any more so sorry for being vague but if you go onto the setup area of the menu there should be an option called something like 'lock mirror up for cleaning'. Try activating that and see if it resets itself. You'll need to have a little bit of charge in the battery for the option to be available.

Back