Weddings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone!

I was asked to shoot a wedding this august. It will be my first....it actually is a co-worker of mine. He is aware that I have not done weddings but has seen my work and was quite happy to have me as the photographer.

I need some help here as I have never done a wedding before. I own a Nikon d300s.

1.What suggested lens would be best for a job like this?

2. What tools should I bring along with me in aside from my camera?(should I bring a tripod,a flash strobe?-as I do not have SB flashes)

They do not want the traditional style wedding images but more of images that are just taken as the moments happens...no posed stuff.

I was thinking of buying an sb light so I can have it to use on my camera or a strobe .

Also as to what you offer? The budget is 1250$ Do you have any packages you yourselves use that can help me create one to offer? Any suggestions tips, please I would love your input.

:0:)

Good luck with this 'N' - hope you own a kevlar vest as you're gonna need it pretty soon...
Non-professionals covering weddings for friends or colleagues is practically the most contentious issue amongst photographers today...

I'm unclear from your post but I think it's unusual to charge £1250 for a wedding if you've never shot one before, or assisted as a second shooter. Of course your choice :)

I tried to take some shots of an event for work is fairly dark light, and I have to say I'm glad there was no pressure to actually get any shots. It made me realise I needed better glass, better technique and more importantly made me realise I really didn't know what I was doing in terms of positioning myself for shots. I'll stick to taking pictures of birds for now!

I'm not going to tell you to do this or not, however I imagine the pressure of doing a wedding when you have the skills and experience is still huge, without both I would be turning my pants nice and brown....

If you do go ahead and charge some things to consider from what I have read:

1) Public liability insurance, in case you injure someone \ and cover if they sue you for some reason
2) Backup camera and lenses if they stop working \ break (plus batts, cards etc). You probably need fast f2.8 or faster lenses and high ISO performance.
3) Second shooter?
4) I imagine everyone says they don't want formal shots, but really a lot of people do just don't want them to feel posed as such.
5) Try and see the venue and check if you can use flash inside
6) If outside, have a backup plan if it rains \ a large umbrella
7) Do a search on here, plenty of threads

You can hire lenses from www.lensesforhire.co.uk

Good luck

Al

I'm unclear from your post but I think it's unusual to charge £1250 for a wedding if you've never shot one before, or assisted as a second shooter. Of course your choice :)

It's $ rather than £.

This would still be quite a lot, unless his friend is expecting him to pay for a load of stuff with this money, i.e. prints and the like.

2. What tools should I bring along with me in aside from my camera?(should I bring a tripod,a flash strobe?-as I do not have SB flashes)

If you're unsure just, bring everything you have.

It would be worth visiting the venues, well in advance, so you can work out what lighting to use.

Otherwise, you might be planning to bounce your flash of the ceiling. Then when you get there, you discover the ceiling is painted dark green, or something that will cause a problem.

If you're charging 1250 ($ or £) that's a sizeable budget and for that price they could get a pro with experience, so you'd better ensure that you're capable of achieving at least what the locals are doing for that money.
You definitely need backup. If your gear flakes on the day, 'I'm sorry my camera is broken' isn't going to get you anywhere. The B&G won't just 'let you off' if you fail to deliver. Hire a 2nd body if you have to.

Depending on your style you might have everything else that you need. If you love shooting natural light and you know that you'll be able to cope in the situation then there's no need to learn flash, which is a whole other discipline if you've never done it. If you think you'll need a flash - you'd better get one now and start practising.

What is it that they expect for 1250? an album, prints, a cd of images? You can't just copy what another tog would put in a 1250 package, it's not a commodity, they pay us for our skill, experience artistry etc. For £1250 you could expect the world from a low end shooter or maybe a couple of hrs coverage and a CD from an experienced pro, less than that if we're talking $$.

Good luck with this 'N' - hope you own a kevlar vest as you're gonna need it pretty soon...
Non-professionals covering weddings for friends or colleagues is practically the most contentious issue amongst photographers today...

Thank you for your insightful input

Boy I have to admit, you all spoiled my excitement and my confidence....

I did not expect to get such negative feedback

If you're charging 1250 ($ or £) that's a sizeable budget and for that price they could get a pro with experience, so you'd better ensure that you're capable of achieving at least what the locals are doing for that money.
You definitely need backup. If your gear flakes on the day, 'I'm sorry my camera is broken' isn't going to get you anywhere. The B&G won't just 'let you off' if you fail to deliver. Hire a 2nd body if you have to.

Depending on your style you might have everything else that you need. If you love shooting natural light and you know that you'll be able to cope in the situation then there's no need to learn flash, which is a whole other discipline if you've never done it. If you think you'll need a flash - you'd better get one now and start practising.

What is it that they expect for 1250? an album, prints, a cd of images? You can't just copy what another tog would put in a 1250 package, it's not a commodity, they pay us for our skill, experience artistry etc. For £1250 you could expect the world from a low end shooter or maybe a couple of hrs coverage and a CD from an experienced pro, less than that if we're talking $$.

So how much should an unprofessional photographer charge? As a matter of fact, this is the price that was offered which will include prints.

I was not copying from another photographer. I was asking in terms of how many sized prints in say 4x6 or 8x10......

Have I insulted you in some way....just asking....you wrote:
it's not a commodity, they pay us for our skill, experience artistry etc.

Oh and good luck to all you pro shooters, this is no place for a low ender and non pro photographer to mix in, what happened to the good old days.

I will be leaving the site so there is no need for anymore responses, but thanks for taking the time.

Oh and good luck to all you pro shooters, this is no place for a low ender and non pro photographer to mix in, what happened to the good old days.

I don't think they meant to say anything but to give you a fair warning that you'll be expected to deliver great results even if the ones you'll be doing it for would say they don't and that there's a chance you won't do that well if it's going to be your first time doing such an event.

As for what gear to get - I haven't done any weddings, although I did bring my camera to a few and did take a few shots.
What gear you're really going to need depends on where the wedding is going take place, especially how dark the place will be at the time of the wedding. I've attended weddings that were in places with not much ambient light for a camera, so I needed to shoot with high ISO and a Sigma EF500 DG Super when I had it. When I didn't have it, had to jump through hoops in post processing. With it, considerably less was needed. It would have been quite nice if I could have had a Tamron 17-50 F2.8 VC or a Sigma 18-50 F2.8 OS. I still wouldn't rely on the VC/OS, but it could help a bit.
Suggested settings: whatever shutter speed you need to get a shot without motion blur, aperture as needed for the DoF, ISO up to 800, let the flash do the rest if possible.

Hi everyone!

I was asked to shoot a wedding this august. It will be my first....it actually is a co-worker of mine. He is aware that I have not done weddings but has seen my work and was quite happy to have me as the photographer.

I need some help here as I have never done a wedding before. I own a Nikon d300s.

1.What suggested lens would be best for a job like this?

They do not want the traditional style wedding images but more of images that are just taken as the moments happens...no posed stuff.

I was thinking of buying an sb light so I can have it to use on my camera or a strobe .

Also as to what you offer? The budget is 1250$ Do you have any packages you yourselves use that can help me create one to offer? Any suggestions tips, please I would love your input.

Beg to assist someone for a few weddings first

Questions 1 and 2 show you are not ready yet

Using flash is a matter of practicality and style. if you intend using flash, buy it now and learn how to use it (and how not to)

All couples seem to want relaxed photography, but I guarantee you need to know how to pose a bride and groom, and groups of guests. There are some excellent tuitions online about posing couples and groups

Learn the set pieces before hand - how to shoot the still lifes - flowers, rings, etc.

For that price, they get me for the day, and pay extra for products

Getitng me for the day, pretty much generates a whole weeks worth of work, most of which is unseen....

enquiries, correspondence, meetings, scouting venue, preparing kit, driving to venue, doing shoot, driving back, backing up, editing and PP, uploading and organising on-line gallery, backing up again and finally more correspondence

However I advise you do this:
Shoot for free (or a nominal amount), and charge a good fair price for albums/canvases etc. afterwards

I will be leaving the site so there is no need for anymore responses, but thanks for taking the time.

You have actually been given some very good advice on here but it's your choice if you want to ignore it, shame you have to flounce off as most of what you have been told has come about through experience.

As to your question about equipment I would strongly recommend a second body in case of failure or theft (it does happen), a mid-range zoom like a 24-70mm and something in the 70-200mm range. You will need at least one flash for fill on sunny days and for the evening/first dance shots, make sure you also have plenty of memory cards. A tripod probably won't be necessary but a monopod might be useful at times in low light to help prevent camera shake.

I think it's incredible that anyone has the brass neck to accept $1250 for doing a job they haven't a clue how to start! Amazing.

That's the current state of the Weddings industry though Andrew and people wonder why, having spent two years training (just booked a cracking course for March next year too) and equipping myself for the job before unleashing myself on the unsuspecting public, I go a funny shade of purple from time to time! :)

I am a complete newbie into this, I do know how ever a non pro posting about doing a wedding where pros are concerned is a bit of a no go area, I was asked to do some for someone else my carers look after. I declined as I for(1) would hate to mess things up and (2) never tread on a pros toes. This is a superb site I am sorry you feel the opposite about the site, you how ever asked and they delivered.

Although a pro for 30 years I did not join TP for the pro side and rarely comment, I refer the pure photography aspects.

Sometimes I wonder if it would be better for TP to have a private section for professional talk or in deed to ban professional talk altogether.

stew

Although a pro for 30 years I did not join TP for the pro side and rarely comment, I refer the pure photography aspects.

Sometimes I wonder if it would be better for TP to have a private section for professional talk or in deed to ban professional talk altogether.

stew
I disagree. which ever side of the fence you are on - Seeing the whole picture, even if it is unpalatable seems intuativly better

Nsmall.................don't quit and run, listen to the GOOD advice given here, ignore the t**sers who sometimes mouth off, they need to get a grip sometimes.

Best advice I can give is that as you have no previous wedding experience then set their expectations of what they will get very low, that way as you have neither the equipment expertise or products that compare with what they may be expecting they will be pleasantly surprised if you get stuff they then like. There is of course a risk you won't but at least they will know that. Don't go giving them false hope as this will possibly lead to places you don't want to go.

Make sure you get insurance as if you hurt someone in the process of shooting the wedding you could get you ar*e chewed off legally, similarly if you break something valuable at the venue.

All that said make sure you talk to the couple and their guests a lot during the day, if you are a shy person, I'd say back away now, you need to be very confident, well organised and a good communicator in large groups. The fact you've said YES already is a good sign that you are up for the challenge.

To get some experience between now and the big day get some friends together and tell them to do a pretend wedding where you have to organise them, make them feel goood, make them have fun etc etc............ie put yourself under time pressure and see how you do. Tell them to give you just 20 minutes to get a brunch of great shots then in the cold light of day see how you did, ask them how you did.

Even if things don't go great you will have learned a huge amount then take that knowledge get yourself some 2nd shooter work and look forward to going solo sometime in the future.

If you can beg,steal,borrow some fast glass (ie a 1.8 20 or 50mm and/or a 2.8 70-200) then those will be really good at the ceremony for getting some shots of key moments, like rings going on, groom seeing bride for first time coming down the ailse, kiss the bride etc good luck with it.

Wow...epic dummy-spit...

I thought we were all pretty restrained compared to other wedding threads... Not much To$$er-behaviour here at all in fact, Frank...

I also thought he recieved some pretty good advice as to what was needed and what to expect to have to produce on the day...

Wow...epic dummy-spit...

I thought we were all pretty restrained compared to other wedding threads... Not much To$$er-behaviour here at all in fact, Frank...

I also thought he recieved some pretty good advice as to what was needed and what to expect to have to produce on the day...

you could always shoot him

I suppose you could even use a canon

Not exactly how to win friends and influence people as a new member here, is it?

You asked...we responded, not only with advice but with some concerns that you might be getting in over your head and you come back all mardy on us...Frac's response was fairly predictable, I thought...

Maybe an attitude readjustment on your part would soothe matters...?

Fiirst of all I do not recall stating anything that was said was not good advice. What has irritated me and I find as a complete turn off is the fact that the mentioning of for example written from ARKADY:

Please tell me what this has to do with what I am asking in my post?Whay do peolpe have to always add there smart ass mouths when there is no need for it?

err pretty straightforward - you're Not a pro...yet you are covering a wedding for payment, unless I mis-read your initial post...

Amateur Photographers doing Weddings as a favour or for payment is a contentious issue and I wanted to alert you to the fact that by posting you maybe letting yourself in for some flak from established wedding-pro's...

Now why don't you calm down and listen to some of the advice we're trying to give you?

not only as Rob says above - you're covering it for a good budget, for which there are many perfectly capable wedding photograpers would work for, and would do so without bringing the lack of experience and attitude to the table. Your mates wife to be, does she know you're covering it as well?

Nsmall I have to agree with all the above comments.
If you are taking payment for this wedding are you registered with HMRC? (Her Majesties Revenue & Customs) to ensure all of your taking are classed as earnings and you are not faced with a massive fine.

Along with being registered do you have Public Liability Insurance?
Camera Insurance?
etc, etc?

Would hate for someone to trip over your equipment for example and sue you and you have to pay all of the costs yourselves which can be VERY expensive.

Why not offer to do it for free? So there are no expectations from the B+G and also no problems facing you? Might be the best option.

Many THanks
Jamie

I'm afraid Nsmall that Arkady is, as usual, bang on the money. Telling people to "beat it" isn't exactly going to win you any hearts & minds...or any advice either.

In any case my advice is before you do any wedding(s):

1. Shoot at least two as a second shooter.
2. Always to a rehearsal/mock ceremony with the couple at the location.
3. Learn to take some flack; doesn't matter if you're a pro or not you will get it.
4. If people get iffy with you (which they will) just learn to take it or leave it.

And finally: joining a forum with a lot long served, well established & respected users to ask for advice and then telling them to "beat it" several times is a little hypocritical. Calm down, read the advice that's been supplied. There's no point getting up in arms over this thread as plenty worse has been said in the past and going in a huff isn't going to solve the issue at all. The advice has been put there, take it or leave it. But remember that a lot of this is being said by people with a lot more experience than you at shooting weddings which is who your initial question was directed at.

Fiirst of all I do not recall stating anything that was said was not good advice. What has irritated me and I find as a complete turn off is the fact that the mentioning of for example written from ARKADY:

Please tell me what this has to do with what I am asking in my post?Whay do peolpe have to always add there smart ass mouths when there is no need for it?

well after reading this topic Arkadys reply has everything to do with whats been posted since his reply!

he just pointed out that as it a contentious issue there may be some stern replys incoming :)

in reality people have taken time out to help you & tell you how it is based on their actual experience & just because you dont like the answers given you're throwing a childs tantrum :dummy::LOL:

step back, re read the thread take a deep breath & try again :)

Nsmall I have to agree with all the above comments.
If you are taking payment for this wedding are you registered with HMRC? (Her Majesties Revenue & Customs) to ensure all of your taking are classed as earnings and you are not faced with a massive fine..

Many THanks
Jamie

From the syntax, I think he may be from the Colonies...

Not exactly how to win friends and influence people as a new member here, is it?

You asked...we responded, not only with advice but with some concerns that you might be getting in over your head and you come back all mardy on us...Frac's response was fairly predictable, I thought...

Maybe an attitude readjustment on your part would soothe matters...?

Listen it is not to everyone that I am diappointed but you especially as well as Fracster and Matt(or whatever).

I expected to get negative and positive feedback and both I welcome. But the sarcasm and rudness is completely uneccesary. So if responses are going to come out with this tone....do not expect a newbie to want to hang around that( at least for me). I have received great info and I am taking it all in and I am realising that this is a job that I would not be able to handle......

I have gotten responses where it is negative but done so with respect to who I am and to what I would have liked to get into as a photographer and to the questions I have asked.

Example, message from: blaze_away, akr, dan_marsh, slapo, Richard King, Ali B, Wheels, Hacker
(thanks guys for keeping the respect and giving me great advice and input;))

I think you might also need to aquire a sense of humour then...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back