Review Vanguard Alta Pro 263AT Tripod

Name
Weenson
Edit My Images
Yes
I purchased a 263AT together with a PH32 3-way Pan and Tilt head a couple of weeks ago having heard good reports about it and believing that at long last, I could gracefully retire my faithful though aged Leitz Tiltall. The Alta Pro had placed first in the TIPA ( Technical Image Press Association ) awards for 2009 in the Best Accessory section so I thought it had to be a fairly good thing.

5S7T0062.jpg

The Vanguard tipped the scales at just over 2.05kg which wasn't too bad for a set of aluminium legs. Adding the PH32 to it made the total weight a very manageable 2.47kg or 5.44 lbs. With the PH32 but without raising the central column, the 263AT gave me a working height of around 57 inches.

Vanguard are very keen to promote their key features of the Alta Pro series, being the Multi-Angle-Central-Column (MACC) which allows the user to position the hexagonal central column at ANY angle from 0 to 130 degrees without the need to remove it from the tripod, while also allowing it to rotate a full 360 degrees.

Picture22.png

Then there is the Instant-Swivel-Stop-and-Lock (ISSL) mechanism which allows photographers to securely reposition the central column in one simple movement. You release the central column by a twist of the locking lever on the left of the first picture below, slide the column upwards, depressing the brass button and then locking the lever again. Releasing the ' orange ' switch allows the user to tilt the central column to a desired position.

Picture56.png

The Alta Pro has a low minimum height which though is not unique is nevertheless a bonus for macro work

5S7T0092.jpg

The PH32's ergonomically-styled levers are a pleasure to use. Three bubble levels assists in the task of accurate positioning though I found the grid screen of the 5D2 in live view rather more accurate.

Vanguard includes a ballast bag which they call a stone bag along with an unpadded carry case in the asking price which at around GBP120 discounted pitches the 263AT at the 055XProB market. Along with the PH32 head, I paid GBP175.

Other neat touches include a rubber shock absorber located below the platform and spiked feet.

Picture59.png

A pretty good deal one would say, so what's wrong with the Alta Pro, you may be tempted to ask?

Well the head, indeed any head, is secured to the platform by three grub screws which protrude into the outer edge of the base of the head, boring merrily into the metal .....

5S7T0106.jpg

Vanguard have accepted this as being a design fault and as I write this, I understand that they have a redesign in the pipeline. For a potential buyer, this issue is covered by Vanguard's limited lifetime warranty so if down the line you could request an exchange of the redesigned part which could be the platform and central column or the head. I would have thought it would be less costly for Vanguard to redesign and replace the platform of central column.

....... to be continued

When I was taking pictures of the tripod I also noticed that to mount a 70-200 on a 5D2 on the PH32 head, I had to remove the camera's BG-E6 battery grip because the locking lever of the QR plate was in the way of the grip itself hence as the picture here shows, I mounted the 5D2/70-200 combination without the grip.

5S7T0095.jpg

Because of the positioning of the locking lever, I couldn't mount a 1D3 either. As such I am sending back the Vanguard head. For something purporting to be a professional design, the head has limited uses, for me anyway. I have since replaced the PH32 with a Giottos MH5001 which although does not have the nice bubble levels, ergonomic handles or indeed the aesthetic pleasantries of the Vanguard 3-way, was a perfect fit on the platform of the tripod. The levers of the Giottos also had a smoother operation and the locking lever of the QR plate was located on the right hand side of the head. The MH3001 from Morris Photographic that worked was £35 compared to £55 for the Vanguard from a dealer in Leamington Spa which didn't.

If you're looking for a set of legs, the Vanguard is probably a good choice though not perhaps its head.

Cheers Everyone

a010.gif

H
a035.gif

Last edited:
Thanks for this review, it does look a good, versatile and well thought out bit of kit (apart from the head)

Particularly like how you have highlighted the apparent design faults in the head, providing a good heads up for anyone contemplating purchasing this tripod.

Added to the directory.

Thank you for taking the time to review for TP (y)

Back