First photos with the Lastolite Hilite

TG.

Name
Tel
Edit My Images
No
First outing with the Lastolite Hilite last friday, here's a few of the results, still had to do a fair bit of PP more so to the floor this time, but i'm getting there, and i have a couple of ideas for next time, also took a few using the back of it, not great but once i PPed them not to bad

4807814577_8c4b6b5a64_z.jpg

4807815581_80511590a2_z.jpg

4808434724_3de1627daf_z.jpg

4808435396_f68e39c4e5_z.jpg

4808435082_c639ceb3e6_z.jpg

4807815815_1b52730da5_z.jpg

Last edited:
Were these taken in a studio or on location and which size hilite did you use

Hi Ian, these were taken in the one of the girls living room, the Hilite i have is an 8x7 lastolite with matching train :)

Nicely done. Did you have anything on the floor apart from the train? I ask because the floating in the air look doesn't work so great.

Nicely done. Did you have anything on the floor apart from the train? I ask because the floating in the air look doesn't work so great.

No just the train, are you saying they have the floating look ? as i have left some shadow to avoid this.

No just the train, are you saying they have the floating look ? as i have left some shadow to avoid this.

Yep, still look floaty. The shadow is there, but it's far too tiny to make a difference, IMO.

Anymore comments on these please, i can see what Dean is saying and would probably agree in No2, but i can't see the floating look in 1 & 3, can anyone else ? i don't mean this to come over as being arrogant because of disagreeing, but i really am trying to get this right and value others opinion, particularly those who do these type of studio shots, a couple more HERE many thanks :)

Last edited:
Hi TG - far too much floating I think, more shadow or indeed some form of reflection and it will ground it a little. Guilty of loosing too much floor in my own shots at times...

Gary.

Thanks Gary, this is something i need to address then for my next go, or i may even go back to these Raw shots and see if i can PP again :)

Thanks Gary, this is something i need to address then for my next go, or i may even go back to these Raw shots and see if i can PP again :)

Can you link to a RAW file for us to have a play?

Can you link to a RAW file for us to have a play?

Not sure how to do that with a Raw file being so large, but if you can tell me how i sure will :)

testfloor.jpg

I ignored everything but the floor, and only very quickly had a go. Basically, I used CAPTURE NX before opening the file in Photoshop.

1. Place a control point point close to her left shoulder and increase the brightness (there are things you need to do to avoid edge heat, takes time and best to blow everything in camera IMO)
  2. Place a control point close to her right shoulder and increase he brightness
  3. Place a control point close to her right knee and reduce the brightness (just a little)
  4. Save your NEF file, and choose "IMAGE, OPEN WITH" from the menu running along the top of Capture NX
  5. Select PHOTOSHOP as your open with app
  6. Photoshop will now present you with a TIFF file of your RAW image
  7. I very quickly used a soft erasure to remove the office from the too corner, and I also removed some more shadow from the floor(you should take MUCH more time),
  8. I then used the LEVELS slider (shown to me my MD) to pull even more detail out of the floor, but leaving enough to show it's there....

You would need to spend a wee bit longer than I did, and there are probably 100 other ways to do this better. I prefer reflective floors for the reason they require little or no processing....

G.

Last edited:
Many thanks for taking the time on that Gary, and i like the edit, i don't have capture NX so just normally open straight into photoshop camera Raw, i agree about the reflective floor being the best option, it would be great if there was a portable solution on that one, i've been toying with the idea about getting a piece of perspex made up which would some how fold in 2 or 4, not sure how feasible it would be though, but i was thinking of asking one of the local glazing companies by me :)

Back