U9's Cricket in the rain

Name
PHILIP
Edit My Images
No
Tonight I went along to photograph the U9's team at my local cricket club.

Now it was pretty grey when I got there, and proceeded to get worse as the rain came in half way into the match.

Therefore my shutter speeds aren't as quick as I would have liked. I was using ISO 500-800 for these. I didn't want to go too high as I aim to sell these to the parents and didn't want noise to be a problem.

Also this was the first time I've braved the rain with my new set up (well I did have a towel wrapped over the 300 for added peace of mind :D)

Anyway here's a pic of the action. All shot with bare 300 2.8IS on 1D3

They are excellent, love no. 9 and the kids expression!
Also no. 6 where you've captured the rain drops nicely!

Great shots, despite the 'poor' conditions. Love #8.

Good shots - expressions are brilliant but I must say that after shooting Junior cricket for many years, the FIRST thing that struck me was that none of the players are wearing safety helmets! Are they playing with a hard ball?

I would have thought that even if the ball was one of those trainer balls (still blinkin' hard), the league would have insisted on helmets if for no other reason that they will need to wear them when facing a real cricket ball at all levels up to and including U18s ..... according to ECB, (and in my view common sense), rules of course.

Alan

jesus, cant believe kids so small play cricket! the wickets are nearly as big as them!
nice shots btw
9 for me

Great shots - they all obey Rule #1 which is to get the player's face in view. I often end up with otherwise great shots but are rendered useless because the bat obscures the face or he is looking the other way.

The shutter speed looks fine to me despite the weather. Perhaps kids don't move as quickly as adults so you get less motion blur at any given shutter speed?

I also like the DoF in all of these shots, really makes the players stand out.

Re helmets, come on these are 8 year old kids. They can't bowl bouncers or throw very hard. I've seen cricketers play first-class matches without helmets a few times in the last year so I'm sure an 8 year old can manage it.

Back