Just upgraded to a D5000

• Thread starter Deleted member 29733
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 29733

Owing to a surprise windfall and after a lot of deliberation I decided to upgrade from my SONY DSC-H50 to a nice new shiney Nikon D5000 with AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5 VR and AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED lenses.

I would be interested in what the D5000 owners/users have got to say about it and also any tips they may have.

Martin

Well the D5000 is a brilliant model - I love mine. I've got the 18-70 DX and the awesome 70-300 VR. I guess, until you get the feel of it, just stick it in P or A and see how yo get along. It does grow with you, so I think you'll love it as you get more experienced! :)

Thanks Lawrence, what size SD cards have you got? at the moment I have a 4Gb and I will be looking for a spare battery as well.

Martin

I've got a few 8gb ones - No particular reason I chose those, I just got loads when I got my phone, and if I use an adapter the work fine in the 5000. Yes, a spare battery would be a good idea, it lasts pretty well, but just in case. :)

Hi I just recently upgraded from a Minolta x-300 SLR to the Nikon D5000. My first intention was to get the D3000. But reading reviews the having a look at both I decided to get the D5000. So far it has been great. I have the 18-55mm VR kit lens and the 55-200mm VR lens.

Yes got a 4gb and 16gb card, also got a spare battery. Looking to get a tripod as well.

Hi Albert, sounds like we got the same kit. I'm looking forward to tomorrow when I will be snapping away like a demented thing...lol.

I got the Manfrotto 190XPROB with the 496RC2 with the quick release plate.

Martin

...I would be interested in what the D5000 owners/users have got to say about it, and also any tips they may have...Martin

new owner too - so the only tip is to buy the "Nikon D5000" by David Busch

I had a Hahnel battery grip on my D40 - fits the D5000 ok
emailed Hahnel USA but they dont make a D5000 specific

would be interested in hearing thoughts/seeing shots at 200mm as that's my next item

Enjoy..!!!!!!

just recently got rid of mine for a D80 but they are great cameras, I was a fan of the inbulit outline and cross screen filters, the outline filter is great for landscape with buildings type photos, especially if you shoot the same scene on a regular basis(adds something different from the norm).

low down fisheye type skateboarding angles are super easy with the tilty screen.

the D5000 is great, esp. when Nikon gave it the little gem AF-S 35mm f/1.8G

Thanks for the replies gentlemen. The battery is now fully charged so just going to set up ready for a trial run tomorrow, will probably go to my local RSPB reserve that way will probably have to use the full 200mm.

Will look out for that book. There is also a Dummies guide for the D5000.

Martin

I've had my D5000 for a month or so and can't fault it, although to be fair I still dont really know how to use it:LOL::LOL::LOL:

I bought a different grip for around 30 quid that does not need the cable, but used IR instead.

The D5000 book is on amazon at 50% off, £9.99 at the moment and is a great book.

Also bought a remote of ebay this week for £3.50 posted which works a treat and is ideal for tripod shots where you might move/rock the camera when taking pics.

I've got the Sigma 70-300 but looking to upgrade to something bigger once I can work out which one to get (y)

Cheers Jonathan, will take a look, thanks again.

I noticed the book on Amazon Darryl I sniffed that bargain out...lol.

What I do when using my tripod is use the self timer, so IF you accidently leave your remote at home - but if your like me then it would be in my bag all the time - try using the self timer, works a treat.

Martin

I didn't like the external link wire [is it for the vertical shutter release?]

It is, otherwise it won't work. The one I use just involves putting the camera on the remote 2's setting from memory and then works via IR.

Cheers Jonathan, will take a look, thanks again.

I noticed the book on Amazon Darryl I sniffed that bargain out...lol.

What I do when using my tripod is use the self timer, so IF you accidently leave your remote at home - but if your like me then it would be in my bag all the time - try using the self timer, works a treat.

Martin

I just love gadgets :LOL:(y)

Not sure John, don't have one on the D200 (i think the d200 was designed to work with a grip out of the box). I think i'd trust a cable more than IR if I was shooting outside in sunlight. IR isn't always the best with bright light, a good old bit of cable will always do the job.

Ive not had a problem with my remote in sunshne and its a £3 ebay one, but the self timer would be just as good when ready to fire

Unless they have a new 'thingamygig', IR was a problem if I was standing behind the camera, the sensor was in the front:thinking:

A meter of cable for me please . . . (y)

Had my D5000 for 3 or 4 months now, not exactly wearing it out . . . :LOL:

But I prefer it to the the D90 I was using . . . more to the point 'not using', :shrug:

Once you have your feet under the 5000 table, have a look at page 156 in the destructions . . . 'Range finder'. Fascinating, I have always had to rely on auto focus (eyes are not the best sometimes), and suffer a few inches rear or front focus. Not a problem on landscapes and general snap shots, but get up close and personal or do some macro, you need the 'point of focus' spot on. By the way, the instruction do not tell you that the 'Manual' switch on the lens can be used to activate RF. Obviously need to activate RF in menu, then it switches on and off with the 'M' switch on the lens.

The other problem that I sorted was the 'animated screen' fouling on the tripod head . . . some saw this as a 'MAJOUR downer' . . . saying "why did Nikon not hinge the screen on the side"? :thinking:

I overcame it simply by using a KOOD BH-02BQ professional ball head, and turned it back to front, release trigger faces forward, some heads have all sorts of detritus attached to foul the screen, but the Kood is simple and not expensive either :shrug: . . . :

CamerasideBHrwIMG_4495.jpg

Life is 'Simples' :D . . . CJS

Which do you find is better to shoot in, Jpegs or RAW?

AFC

As I dont do all that jiggory pokery, I will stick with good ol' jpegs.

Martin

As I dont do all that jiggory pokery, I will stick with good ol' jpegs.

Martin

I shoot RAW/JPG . . . I like to get it right in the camera? However it dont always work, so a back up in RAW is good. One rarely does more than tweak the Whit Balance, but it can make that bit of extra difference.

CJS

Hi folks, is anyone using long lenses or teleconverters, if so are they Nikon or other makes i.e. Sigma, Tamron etc and how are you getting on with them. At the moment I have the 2 lenses that came with my camera - both Nikon - with the biggest being a 55-200mm and coming from a Sony H50 with a teleconverter that took my total length to around 980mm, I am finding it a bit restrictive and will be looking at getting a long tele/zoom in the next couple of months.

Martin

Hi - I recently got a D5000 and am very pleased with it. My reason for getting it (did I really need another body?) was that it has the size - or lack of it - of the D40 and the sensor etc of the D90. Given my criterion of small size, I won't be fitting it with a grip.

One lens I think you should look at is the Nikon 70-300 mm AF-S VR. I've been happy with the results from mine (that I got 2nd hand) on a D40, so I'm looking forward to using it on the D5000. It's less expensive and lighter to carry than the alternative Nikon f/2.8 lenses.

And I'll second intotherainbow's support for the 35 mm f/1.8 DX, it's a great little lens.

Good shooting ...

Thanks Bob, at the moment I have 2 Nikon lenses 18-55mm AF-S DX VR and the 55-200mm AF-S DX VR. I will be using the long lens mainly for wildlife/birds but I dont want to buy just a prime 400mm or 500mm lens, also buying the 70-300mm seems unjustifiable for the sake of 100mm, but if I hadnt got the 55-200 then I would definitely have given it a lot of thought.

Martin

Martin

wildlife [birds] ok in the park but otherwise......:(

.sell the 55-200mm AF-S DX VR ?

and have a look at Sigma 70-300 HSM APO only £170 new
HSM to AF on the D5000
APO version is reported the better lens.

Hi Martin - I think that the extra 100 mm is equivalent to an extra 150 mm on a DX body. And - if you have the cash - there's a lens and teleconvertor for sale on the forum ... still only 200 mm but it's the first (below the long primes etc) Nikon lens that will take a teleconvertor. Just a thought ...

Cheers lads,

@ John - Definitely something to think about.

@ Bob - I looked at the lens + Converter = £1200, at the moment I can just about buy a magazine....lol.

Martin

Back