best travel tripod for under £200

Name
george
Edit My Images
Yes
HI all
What tripod would you reccomend for travel and backpacking, Im 6ft tall and ideally would like one tall enough so I dont have to do a lot of stooping but also compact enough to fit in a rucksack or travel suitcase, Any advice would be really appreciated,
Thanks in advance

Velbon Ultra Luxi F (or variants) - 1.3 kg, small and suprisingly sturdy.

Hi EMA747,
That Giottos looks pretty good, How would you compare Giottos to Manfrotto?

Hi puddleduck
Just checked out the Velbon, It seems to get a good wright up especially for the price, but I think the max 3kg might be a bit light, Whats camera and lens do you use on this?

Thanks

Hi EMA747,

Hi puddleduck
Just checked out the Velbon, It seems to get a good wright up especially for the price, but I think the max 3kg might be a bit light, Whats camera and lens do you use on this?

Thanks

I've had a Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 on one..also a Nikon 300mm f/2.8 AF-S on a Pro body...so a 4kg load with no problem.

sorry excuse the spelling guys I was working nights and hav'nt got to bed yet (write not wright)

I had a very similar thread, here, a while ago; some pretty good recommendations came from there.

Only yesterday I paid that thread a revisit, as I've yet to buy myself a light travel tripod. Might be of use :shrug:

Hi EMA747,
I only looked at a couple of Manfrotto tripods but they seemed about the same quality wise.

If you haven't already I would suggest you go to shop that has a range of tripods and have a feel of them all. I found it useful to put the weight into perspective. It's easy to think a £200+ one is very lite when you read the weight figures on the net but when you pick them both up I found that they were not really that different from the Giottos one I got and the extra money was just not worth it for me. The one got seemed about right in terms of money vs weight.

I have photography mag that did a test of under £200 tripods earlier this year. I can dig it out and list the models they tested if you think it would help you. :)

I've been looking out for a small light weight tripod myself. I had a look at a Giottos Vitruvian VGR9255 this week and was impressed. Its a decent height for me (5'10"), light weight aluminium, stable and folds down to just 40cm in length. I was almost tempted to buy one then, but I thought I would do some research first.

Digital Depot do them in budget as well.

Giottos Vitruvian VGR9255

I only looked at a couple of Manfrotto tripods but they seemed about the same quality wise.

If you haven't already I would suggest you go to shop that has a range of tripods and have a feel of them all. I found it useful to put the weight into perspective. It's easy to think a £200+ one is very lite when you read the weight figures on the net but when you pick them both up I found that they were not really that different from the Giottos one I got and the extra money was just not worth it for me. The one got seemed about right in terms of money vs weight.

I have photography mag that did a test of under £200 tripods earlier this year. I can dig it out and list the models they tested if you think it would help you. :)

:) If you don't have to dig too much that would be great,
Thanks

I've been looking out for a small light weight tripod myself. I had a look at a Giottos Vitruvian VGR9255 this week and was impressed. Its a decent height for me (5'10"), light weight aluminium, stable and folds down to just 40cm in length. I was almost tempted to buy one then, but I thought I would do some research first.

Digital Depot do them in budget as well.

Giottos Vitruvian VGR9255

Hi Lester
I was thinking about Vitruvian as well but still researching like yourself,
PS, Bristol cameras have them for £149
Thanks

Hi Lester
I was thinking about Vitruvian as well but still researching like yourself,
PS, Bristol cameras have them for £149
Thanks

The cheapest I've found it is on Amazon.

Linky

Also, for a shad over your budget is the carbon fibre version. Not sure how much of a difference it makes though.

Last edited:
Back