Breaking into sports photography

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
No
Hi

so i was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on photographing motorsports?

1: I would like to know if its possible to get some good shots from the "Public side" of the fence,
that i could possibly send to some local papers and magazines?

2: what kinda of lens would be good to start with (focal length - f/ stop etc.)

Thanks,
Matt

Last edited:
bump

Hi Matt
It all depends on where you want to take photo's, race tracks or rallies, you can sometimes get away with a 70-300 zoom or even a 70-200.
There will be someone along soon to let you know what len's are best for which tracks
I use a Sigma 70-200 F2.8 along with a 1.4 tc and shoot rallies and karting but have also used it at Pembray race circuit with good results.
Alan

It sounds like you might be throwing yourself in the deep end here - I'd have thought you'd need a fair bit of experience before throwing your photos at the local rags?

However, lens wise, I think anything with a good range would do the job - On the forums I think I've seen shots from anything about 200mm and upwards. I think you probably want 300mm minimum, but don't be conned by the cheap lenses - you want to be spending a few hundred (bare minimum) to get a lens of high enough quality to get good photos.

goin off the advice of a college tutor about sending it to papers :)

I'm not sure if he does motorsport, but Purpleclouds on here does sport photography now, so might be worth his opinion.

yeah i just heard he had.

Back