New purchases...

Name
Bryan
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey everyone :D

Bargain hunting today and managed to get me a Mamiya ZE-X with a MAMIYA-SEKOR EF 1.7 50mm for £5 :D :D

Also managed to pick up a Canon EOS 100 for £5 :love:

Problem I have is with the Canon - Pop the battery in and all that happens is the TOP LCD shows all the things on, and thats it, nothing else... any suggestions?

The mamiya - aaah I love :D

What happens when you move the mode dial from L (lock - or off switch) to the other settings?

there's a manual for the EOS100 here.

If the battery indicator is blinking, then there may be some kind of error - it's the same as the "Err 99" that you get with digital eos's - i.e. indeterminate error :shrug:
Either that or the battery IS flat...

Last edited:
Nothing happens at all... infact it spins free - Dreaded control dial death?

Bry

quite possibly - caused by people forcing the control dial, rather than pressing the lock release button in the middle of the dial first, iirc.

It's a fiddly job to repair, but not always terminal...

Just had quick read - Interesting article :)

I suppose then there is no way to get this working even if its stuck on auto or w/e? Baah still, whadya think of the Mamiya for £5 inc lens?

Bry

Never tried one myself, but from a quick glance around on google, It looks like a bargain if it works! (y)

If it is only the selector dial that's up the spout, then it's worth having a go to fix it - even if you end up with a dial that just turns and no detent on the various modes, the camera will work (my first attempt at fixing my EOS5 went that way - second time around i got it all working correctly!) you just have to be careful it doesn't switch itself on in the camera bag (only put the battery in when you take it out to use it!)

RE: Mamiya ZE-X

All seems working on it - shutter works throughout the speeds and all lights up/dances as prescribed... The 50mm Lens from what I can tell through the viewfinder is going to be an absolute gem of a lens :)

If you think it is just the selector dial - What would you recommend?

Bry

well - i'd get the screwdrivers out personally, if it was only a £5 camera, then at worst it'd be a cheap nights entertainment and keep me away from the :beer:

Just be REALLY careful not to touch any big battery looking bits inside, as they're probably the capacitors for the onboard flash, and will double as a passable tazer!
(and YES that is also from experience :LOL:)

Last edited:
Lmao - Ok.. back in a minute... screw driver is coming out...

Bry

With slightly more frizzy hair than earlier, I return :LOL: (jk)

Well the command wheel now works and display changes accordingly... instead I now have a broken (might be able to fix it) film back catch and when ever I try to fire a shot the battery just blinks at me lol

Bry

The film back catch went squiffy on my eos5 first time as well - i'd got the spring in the wrong place that pulls it up closed.

Are you sure that the battery isn't on its way out?

Ok... That was a short lived affair...

Bry: *Fiddles with dials*

Canon: *Beep whir etc*

Bry: *Smiles as Canon seems to come to life*

Canon: *Sizzle...Flash... BANG* (Enough that my partner comes down the stairs)

Bry: *Drop kicks it through door*

Bry: *Fiddles with dials*

Canon: *Beep whir etc*

Bry: *Smiles as Canon seems to come to life*

Canon: *Sizzle...Flash... BANG* (Enough that my partner comes down the stairs)

Bry: *Drop kicks it through door*

This got be the latest of the Carry On series

Carry on Canon :D:D

Got a strange tingly feeling in my arm, apart from that all is good :p

So revised post:

Got me a Mamiya ZE-X for £10 :LOL:

Bry

Well - they usually reckon that you bust the first camera you try to fix... I did mention the big sparky flashy things didn't I

Welcome to the club, and enjoy the Mamiya. ;)

I know I know you mentioned the big sparky flashy things... but as Arthur mentioned in another thread...

200px-Ewjackets-motorcycle.jpg

Say no more ;) :p :p

Aaah I look forward to shooting with the Mamiya, the lens is absolutely beautiful for DOF etc through the viewfinder. Just hope my shooting keeps up with it and it looks good on film :)

Bry

I know I know you mentioned the big sparky flashy things... but as Arthur mentioned in another thread...

200px-Ewjackets-motorcycle.jpg

Say no more ;) :p :p

:LOL: I opened the EOS-5 3 times in all to get things right. Each time I managed to touch the top of the storage capacitors and give myself a jolt strong enough to actually form a spot burn on the finger... Fortunately, all I managed to do was to earth the caps through me, rather than through any of the sensitive bits of the camera. Guess I'm a muppet too...

crazy-harry-bomb.jpg

muppets.jpg

I definitely shorted something... aside from the dirty great flash and the rather large bang/painful arm, afterward the camera wouldn't even light up or do anything. I must admit its a bit of a shame but at the same time, paying £10 for that mamiya plus lens still feels like a bargain to me? :)

Bry

I definitely shorted something... aside from the dirty great flash and the rather large bang/painful arm, afterward the camera wouldn't even light up or do anything. I must admit its a bit of a shame but at the same time, paying £10 for that mamiya plus lens still feels like a bargain to me? :)

Bry

The Mamiya and 1.7 glass sounds like it's well worth the £10 to me (y)

Back