Review Hahnel Giga T Pro Wireless Remote

Name
Rich
Edit My Images
Yes
Mini review based on a question posed by another forum member, any questions just ask and will help if I can.

Had a more extensive play with the remote on my 40D, so here goes and hope it answers your questions.

Left the remote switched on for about 90 minutes and the receiver on the camera did not go into any sleep mode (transmitter seems to go off after about 2 minutes to save battery power, but would expect that anyway)

I set the camera to auto switch off after 1 minute and yes pressing the AF/shutter button on the transmitter wakes it up instantly

Tested the range, my garden is about 30 metres long and worked fine with me inside the back room, didn't interfere with my weather station transmitter either which I did wonder about
From first impressions I am very pleased with it,feels nice and solid too, locks down firmly on the hotshoe i'm glad to say

The batteries are a lithium cell in the receiver which judging from when I had one in a compact should last a very long while. Transmitter battery is one of the flat round ones that you can buy in places like Boots for not much cash and would probably get a spare of each if I were going away for a while with it.

Instructions take some reading as it has so many different functions and think playing with it for a while would be the best option. Fairly well explained with pictures, but could take a couple or more goes to find out exactly what you wanted to do

Downsides now, the lead could I suppose work loose from the camera as there is no lock, but isn't exactly a loose fit on mine and would presumably be used stationary or on a tripod 99% of the time.
Could become a problem if you wanted to use the hotshoe for a flash unit and just let the unit dangle down then the lead could work free. Will cross that bridge If I ever come to it and would probably tape or tie it up if required
It also might be an idea to remove the battery from the receiver if you kept it in a bag as the on/off button could easily be pressed to switch it on and as mentioned before there is no auto power off

Comes with leads to fit both connectors, jack plug (3mm I think?) and N3, I obviously have the Canon/Pentax version so not sure what leads you need for other brands.
Presumably if you switched brand extra leads could be bought as Hahnel are a reputable company based in Ireland

To sum up this mini review, well thought out and well made piece of kit,although not dirt cheap worth the money in my opinion
The rrp is £79.95, but have seen it at a tenner less as an introductory offer

Cheers
Rich

I got one for my D90 - works a treat. As described above - easy to use once you get your head around the instructions.
The Nikon version comes with 3 leads, one for the D90 type plug, one for the older version plug found on the likes of the D80 and also the 10 pin screw in type of the D200 and so on.
Hope that helps

Here's a link to a review I've written - Clicky

Hope you don't mind me adding this to the thread but I thought it better to keep things all in one place rather than several threads for the same item.

Well that's made my little missive look a bit pony hasn't it? :crying: bet mine was cheaper than yours though, like new for 50 quid from the classifieds :razz:

Being serious now, very good review on a nice bit of kit, reckon Hahnel ought to give us a bit of comission at this rate (y)

Last edited:
Back