Photo Locations in South West (near Bristol)

LongLensPhotography

Th..th..that's all folks!
Name
LongLensPhotography
Edit My Images
No
I am running out of places to photograph. I seem to struggle quite hard when we have low tide at the sunset. Sometimes I only have just over an hour to get somewhere, so closer to Bristol is better (y)

I thought this could be a handy thread to share scenic locations.

My favourites are:

Bristol: Clifton bridge, Brandon Hill Park, Blaise castle, harbourside, Severn beach

Portishead: marina and Black nore point lighthouse

Clevedon: pier

Weston supermare: coastline

Burnham-on-Sea: lighthouse

Bath: centre

Wells: Cathedral

Glastonbury: tor

Ashton windmill

Please add your favourite places!

Bristol: College Green/Park Street, Brandon Hill, the Observatory/Suspension Bridge, Blaize Hamlet

Bath: Dundas aquaduct/Kennet & Avon canal

Sharpness: Docks/canal/River Severn

I'm always seeing places I'd like to photograph as I drive around but never seem to have the time to go back there :crying:

Hi daugirdas,

What about Cheddar Gorge? either landscape or rock-climbers.

Bristol airport? planes take off/landing at sunset.

Somerset levels?

QS

Thinking of rock climbers there is also a couple of sections along the Portway (under the Clifton Suspension Bridge) where they operate, generally training sessions.

may not seem a toggers paradise (and its not) however I went to Barry Island on Monday for a family day out. Last time I went was about 15 years ago and I thought it was a HOLE, but it seems to have had a bit of investment and looks lovely. It has a nice coastline and also a marina,

Anyway! As i was coming home about 7.30pm the tide had gone out and all the boats on the marina were sat on what was the seabed. Looked a GREAT photo opportunity and im contemplating going back just for this shot. But kids were kicking off big time so had to pass it up.

Nice place though......now.

Gloucester Docks is great for some low light stuff, just watch out for suicidal drunk old men....
:thumbsdown:

Well if you'r heading to sharpness, you're only just down from purton.

I knew there was somwhere else close by but couldn't for the life of me remember where. I used to fish the canal at Purton when I was a little 'un and was fascinated by the remains. Are there still concrete ones there? Is the remains of the old Severn rail bridge still in existence?

Damn I feel a visit coming on :clap:

+1 on cheddar gorge...

also the shipwreck on berrow beach and the beach itself in general..

shapwick heath near glastonbury... more of a bird place but can still make nice landscape...

burrow mump in burrow bridge if you a bit further south..

I knew there was somwhere else close by but couldn't for the life of me remember where. I used to fish the canal at Purton when I was a little 'un and was fascinated by the remains. Are there still concrete ones there? Is the remains of the old Severn rail bridge still in existence?

Damn I feel a visit coming on :clap:

http://www.friendsofpurton.org.uk/

The concrete barges are still there with the exception of one that's been refloated and is now at the waterways museum in Gloucester.

None of the wood barges have been removed, but some have amost completly disapeared due to decay and the increasing ground level. There has also been a certain amount of vandalism.

As for as the rail bridge is concerned all you can really see is the stone tower from the swing section. There also also apparently some debris in the channel you can see at very low tide.

Last edited:
I know you mentioned the Suspension Bridge in your post but can't believe no one has mentioned the Downs, Clifton Downs and Durham Downs. I think Clifton in general is a good spot, especially The Crescent.

Also, the area around the old swing bridge (underneath the flyovers) and around SS Great Britain.

All these places bring back memories - my stamping ground as a kid.

Ken

If you genuinely mean "an hour to get there" then Cleeve Hill near Chelenham has some fantastic views over to the Malverns and Brecon Beacons.

The concrete barges are still there with the exception of one that's been refloated and is now at the waterways museum in Gloucester.

None of the wood barges have been removed, but some have amost completly disapeared due to decay and the increasing ground level. There has also been a certain amount of vandalism.

As for as the rail bridge is concerned all you can really see is the stone tower from the swing section. There also also apparently some debris in the channel you can see at very low tide.

Thanks for the link and info. Hopefully I will have some time in a couple of weeks to take a drive up there and refresh some old memories :)

the mendips..and quantocks
the somerset levels

Went for a quick walk with my daughter down at Purton this afternoon (as we were at Slimbridge already) but couldn't work out where the barges are located. We found the church, and the pub...but no barges. Any pointers??? TIA.

Went for a quick walk with my daughter down at Purton this afternoon (as we were at Slimbridge already) but couldn't work out where the barges are located. We found the church, and the pub...but no barges. Any pointers??? TIA.
Google is your friend.:D

Thanks theMusicMan...and Google. Looks like we just didn't walk far enough round. (y)

Thanks theMusicMan...and Google. Looks like we just didn't walk far enough round. (y)
No probs. I spent some super time there one day last year; weather was perfect for shots of the boat wrecks. Warm and sunny, with high hazy cloud. I think I even tried some IR shots...!

It's well worth a visit, but if you're traveling from afar, I would have to say choose your day well and make sure the weather is bright: moderate-good. I can imagine a wasted journey if it were dull.

Thanks for the link and info. Hopefully I will have some time in a couple of weeks to take a drive up there and refresh some old memories :)

This might be a bit of a spoiler, but a photographer I know has found a photo from the late '60s, she's then recreated the same shot as it is now.

EDIT: I would help if I'd included the bloomin' link wouldn't it. http://www.tammylynn.co.uk/slide/page03.htm

Last edited:
Thanks for the link KC - that 1968 photo is just how I remember it :)

Still think I'll pop up there soon and see for myself.

Back